Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MYP was built without a duct for the HEPA Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was putzing around under the frunk tonight to try to track down a rattle, and removed the massive HEPA filter to get some more room. I noticed that there was a gasket on the HEPA filter, but it didn't actually mate up to anything.

Lo and behold... there's supposed to be a duct under the filter to connect it to the firewall intake, but there isn't one.

Is this the main intake, or is it only used when Bioweapon defense mode is enabled?? I'm assuming there are still a pair of charcoal filters inside the cabin, but is this HEPA filter a pre-filter of sorts?

I set up a mobile service appt for 2 weeks from now to get this part installed. Hopefully they don't give me any hassle...

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpeg
    IMG_1335.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Informative
Reactions: Maric and VegasMYP
Is this the main intake, or is it only used when Bioweapon defense mode is enabled?? I'm assuming there are still a pair of charcoal filters inside the cabin, but is this HEPA filter a pre-filter of sorts?
Yes and yes. This is the main intake used for all fresh air, constantly HEPA filtered. There are also the charcoal filters downstream from the mesh hole, inside the cabin.

Thanks for the pic of what it should look like. Mine is an 8/20 build.

They keep putting a HEPA filter assembly on the service ticket, and I keep telling them that is not what I need. This is brutal. Finally had to send a picture of the parts diagram (Even though I told them the EXACT part # I need) and pointed out that a HEPA filter assembly is not going to help me. Now they're "Sending it to the parts team" for verification.... oh come on.

They keep putting a HEPA filter assembly on the service ticket, and I keep telling them that is not what I need. This is brutal. Finally had to send a picture of the parts diagram (Even though I told them the EXACT part # I need) and pointed out that a HEPA filter assembly is not going to help me. Now they're "Sending it to the parts team" for verification.... oh come on.

Send them a link to this thread instead lol

(Thread drift, but I can't tell you the number of times I had to educate an Audi/Toyota/Honda parts department regarding the actual part I needed for them to order. Frequently, those owners that get to know their cars well will know more than the service/parts guys. Sad, but true!

This issue isn't exclusive to Tesla. YMMV!)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: fiehlsport
Mobile service fixed it today without issue. I had to triple-confirm in the app yesterday to ensure they would bring the right part, and they finally switched it to the correct item on the estimate for me to approve.

The bolt for connecting the duct to the "strut bar" wasn't included, (which I did ask for specifically and knew they would ignore :)) but he used a small 10mm for the undertray that worked perfectly.

The fan is much quieter now and actually runs slower, as it should, since there is a bit of resistance on it now. Temp control seems more accurate, sometimes we were getting roasted since it was spinning so fast at odd times on auto climate.