TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My NEMA14-50R installation

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by cinergi, Oct 7, 2010.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I took some pics during the installation of my NEMA14-50R (220V 50 amp receptacle) on the outside of my house ... those and some notes on http://fearlessbit.com/ ...

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

3. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

Hmmm... When I installed my 14-50R I had a GFCI breaker identical to what's in this Milbank configuration, and 90% of the time the breaker would trip with the UMC during the blue flash phase starting charging. I noticed that the UMC specs on the back mention 18mA trip leakage while my GFCI breaker was 5mA trip leveled. I'm curious if other people with UMC's have GFCI's on their 14-50's and if they are successful in using them. I've switched to a normal, non-GFCI breaker, but I'm not comfortable with that. I've seen that there are equipment protection breakers which trip at 10mA and 30mA which would give a person a shock but probably not fatal and still protect "equipment." I figure if the UMC trips at 18mA, a 30mA breaker shouldn't trip first. Maybe I have a bad UMC?

4. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

All I know is the instructions I got from Tesla says to install with a NON-GFCI breaker ... From the PDF I got:

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

There is potential for problem here. Some plugs are required to be GFCI (like outdoor 120v) and some cars are to be GFCI (Roadster). Problem is, you can;t have two in one circuit or one of them keeps tripping.