Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My NEMA14-50R installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... When I installed my 14-50R I had a GFCI breaker identical to what's in this Milbank configuration, and 90% of the time the breaker would trip with the UMC during the blue flash phase starting charging. I noticed that the UMC specs on the back mention 18mA trip leakage while my GFCI breaker was 5mA trip leveled. I'm curious if other people with UMC's have GFCI's on their 14-50's and if they are successful in using them. I've switched to a normal, non-GFCI breaker, but I'm not comfortable with that. I've seen that there are equipment protection breakers which trip at 10mA and 30mA which would give a person a shock but probably not fatal and still protect "equipment." I figure if the UMC trips at 18mA, a 30mA breaker shouldn't trip first. Maybe I have a bad UMC?

Hmmm... When I installed my 14-50R I had a GFCI breaker identical to what's in this Milbank configuration, and 90% of the time the breaker would trip with the UMC during the blue flash phase starting charging. I noticed that the UMC specs on the back mention 18mA trip leakage while my GFCI breaker was 5mA trip leveled. I'm curious if other people with UMC's have GFCI's on their 14-50's and if they are successful in using them. I've switched to a normal, non-GFCI breaker, but I'm not comfortable with that. I've seen that there are equipment protection breakers which trip at 10mA and 30mA which would give a person a shock but probably not fatal and still protect "equipment." I figure if the UMC trips at 18mA, a 30mA breaker shouldn't trip first. Maybe I have a bad UMC?

All I know is the instructions I got from Tesla says to install with a NON-GFCI breaker ... From the PDF I got:

Tesla recommends installing a NEMA 14-50R receptacle connected to a non GFCI 50A breaker.
The receptacle should be installed in a dry environment with easy access to the drivers’ side of the vehicle. Tesla Roadsters are not engineered to work with extension cords.

There is potential for problem here. Some plugs are required to be GFCI (like outdoor 120v) and some cars are to be GFCI (Roadster). Problem is, you can;t have two in one circuit or one of them keeps tripping.