Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two NEMA14-30P on the same breaker box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys I need some professional electrical advise. My house has two NEMA 14-30P port but the original owner decides only installed one 30A breaker for both, so one of them does not have any power.

The first photo shows the current 30A breaker box with the two 120V hot wires on each pole. What I am trying to do is to connect the non-connected wires from the another NEMA14-30P to the same breaker like 2nd photo shows.

I am aware the potential fire hazard if using both outlet together, so I have plan to double check the mobile connector is disconnected before using rhe dryer and vice versa.

I have some basic electric backgorund but no where near professional. Have anyone been to a similar situation give?Any suggestion of if this is the correct way towconnect the way?

Attachments

• 20230717_061043.jpg
    20230717_061043.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 20230717_061038.jpg
    20230717_061038.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 98
Solution
Update- After calculating some different approaches as discussed above, I end up hiring an electrician to install a new NEMA14-50 outlet with a 30Amp breaker next to the panel for $300. I am not feeling too comfortable wiring the breaker myself and don't think there is a better solution for the price and convenience. Now except the outlet is not aligned with the panel, which drives me crazy because I got OCD, everything else is great😂
@MaodouY168

Sorry my last comment was blunt, I am not an electrician but let me explain:

1. A NEMA 14-50 outlet is intended to be used on a 50-amp circuit; the breaker and wire must be rated at 50-amps
  2. There is an exception which allows the NEMA 14-50 outlet to be used in a 40-amp circuit because a 40-amp outlet does not exist. In such a case the breaker and wire must be rated at 40-amps and the 14-50 outlet is labeled as being 40-amps
  3. In the case of a 30-amp circuit, because a 30-amp outlet exists, a 30-amp outlet must be used e.g. NEMA 14-30
  4. The “electrician“ installed a standard 30-amp breaker, the code requires a GFCI breaker ($150) - since 2017 EVs and 2020 for everybody, I believe
  5. My guess is they also used a cheap outlet, perhaps a Leviton which is not suitable for charging an EV. You need a Bryant or Hubbell outlet, which will run you about $80
Finally, if you plug in the car to the 14-50 outlet it will try to charge at 48-amps, which will trip the breaker. You will have to set a limit in the car to 24-amps. However, this is not intended as a long term solution as the car can forget this setting.

So then, you need to have a 30-amp GFCI breaker installed as well as a Bryant or Hubbell NEMA 14-30 outlet, and purchase the Tesla 14-30 adapter for your mobile connector.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Waait.. you had an electrician put a 14-50 on a 30A breaker? That is absolutely not permissible. Was this an actual licensed electrician? If so, they shouldn't be.

A 14-50 requires a 50A breaker.
A NEMA 14-50 outlet is intended to be used on a 50-amp circuit; the breaker and wire must be rated at 50-amps
You MUST use a NEMA 14-30, not a 14-50 receptacle with a 30A breaker.
I like all of you guys, but these are all actually not true. While I think it is generally terrible to do, it is technically not a code violation to put a 50A outlet type on a lower amp circuit, like a 30A or even 20A.

There's a table you are probably thinking of which specifies both the exact circuit ratings to outlet ratings for a lot of levels, but that is only for multi-outlet circuits. For a single dedicated outlet, NEC just says that the breaker must never be higher rated than the outlet type. That's it.

@MaodouY168 However, I would hate my electrician if he did that, because there's no good reason in this case. If you're going to pick 30A, use 30A for everything. If you're going to pick 50A, use 50A for everything. I would make the electrician come back and change this to match one way or the other.

Upvote 0
Waait.. you had an electrician put a 14-50 on a 30A breaker? That is absolutely not permissible. Was this an actual licensed electrician? If so, they shouldn't be.

A 14-50 requires a 50A breaker. I would be questioning what kind of wire they used here as well, since it may not be up to snuff for 50A usage.

You should not use this outlet with a 14-50 charger until you call them back and ask some questions.
Yes, this was wired. I requested a 14-50 with a 50A breaker but they said my mobile charger only goes up to 30Amps so a 30Amps breaker is fine for me. This electrician company was from Tesla's recommended list so I assume they are professional?

Upvote 0
Wow!
but they said my mobile charger only goes up to 30Amps
Well, that's not even true. It's 32A.
so a 30Amps breaker is fine for me.

This is also wrong in a second way, which is that the 32A is considered a continuous load. Continuous loads are not allowed to fully consume the entire rating of a circuit, so you can't pull 30A constantly from a 30A circuit. Continuous loads must have a circuit rating 125% of the continuous current draw. So 32A draw needs to have at least a 40A circuit.

And still that's not a good excuse for doing a 14-50 outlet on a 30A circuit, which is pretty crummy practice.

I am facepalming here at how dumb this electrician is.

This electrician company was from Tesla's recommended list so I assume they are professional?
I have learned from years on this forum that this seems to mean less than nothing. A good decent qualified electrician with a good amount of years of experience usually means more than just someone who is on Tesla's list. And even then, we see mistakes like this frequently from electricians across the board anyway.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0
Yes, this was wired. I requested a 14-50 with a 50A breaker but they said my mobile charger only goes up to 30Amps so a 30Amps breaker is fine for me. This electrician company was from Tesla's recommended list so I assume they are professional?
Wow. Yes, you should have been able to assume that, but they couldn't have been more wrong. I was hoping they at least used wire suitable for 50a, but with the install completely under drywall, the chance that they didn't use Romex is almost zero, which means that at best you're likely to be able to do without rewiring is probably 40a.

If it can support at least a 40a breaker, the good news is that it will max out your mobile connector for 32a charging. However, since you paid them for a 50a circuit, I think I'd insist they make good on that on their dime.

Upvote 0
I like all of you guys, but these are all actually not true. While I think it is generally terrible to do, it is technically not a code violation to put a 50A outlet type on a lower amp circuit, like a 30A or even 20A.
Found this, which does agree with your point:

Installing a single 30 amp receptacle, protected by a 20 amp overcurrent device would limit future equipment changes by the owner. One assumes that if you have a 30 amp receptacle, you have a 30 amp branch circuit supplying that receptacle. Protecting the receptacle at 20 amps, while not creating a safety issue, is poor design practice.

Always learning! Thank you.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
This company has no experience with how Tesla chargers are actually set up, or how EVs charge in general.

Even if it did pull 30A, you are not allowed to pull 30A continuous on a 30A circuit. The charger derates to 24A when you have a 30A adapter attached. Your mobile charger pulls 32A, so it should be on a 40A circuit, minimum. 80% rule. Any electrician should know this. So many strikes against them....

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
The charger derates to 24A when you have a 30A adapter attached.

Okay Questions, the 14-50 Adapter on the mobile charger does only pull 30Amps. If that's the case, do you mean the mobile charger still attempt to draw 32 amps? In either case, aren't we suppose to set a 24A constant Amps limit at the Tesla console? Where does the constant 30 Amps come from?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was told by two electricians that since the mobile charger has an internal GFCI, if you install another GFCI breaker, they will work against each other in some scenarios.
Sorry to say both are wrong and have demonstrated they do not understand how the Tesla mobile connector works. It is truly scary just how many electricians do not understand EVs!

The internal GFCI breaker protects the connection between the connector and the car, but does not protect the connection between the wall outlet and the car. This is the job of the GFCI breaker.

There have been cases in which nuisance trips of the the GFCI breaker occur, but these are due to faulty GFCI breakers or wiring issues.

And…the GFCI breaker is required by the electrical code.

Upvote 0
Okay Questions, the 14-50 Adapter on the mobile charger does only pull 30Amps. If that's the case, do you mean the mobile charger still attempt to draw 32 amps? In either case, aren't we suppose to set a 24A constant Amps limit at the Tesla console? Where does the constant 30 Amps come from?
The mobile connector says 30A on the NEMA 14-50 plug for some reason, but it does indeed pull 32A.

Regardless, it’s a continuous load and the circuit must be rated for 125% of the load (also know as the 80% rule).

GFCI’s are code requirements and can’t be negotiated.

Upvote 0
Okay Questions, the 14-50 Adapter on the mobile charger does only pull 30Amps.

If you connect the mobile connector to a 14-50 outlet it will assume it is on a 40- or 50-amp circuit. The continuous load rule says the load cannot exceed 80% of the circuit, so on the one hand the car will draw 32-amps on a 40-amp circuit, and 40-amps on a 50-amp circuit. However, the mobile connector is internally limited to 32-amps so that is the most it will draw. It does not matter if the actual circuit is 40-amps or 50-amps.

If you use a 30-amp breaker the car will still attempt to draw 32-amps (because it has no idea it is on an 30-amp circuit) and will trip the breaker.

You really should find out what load the wire is rated for that the electrician installed. The breaker should match this rating. If the wire is rated at 30-amps you should change the outlet to a 14-30. When the 14-30 adpater is used this tells the mobile connector and the car it is on a 30-amp circuit. and using the 80% rule it will draw 24-amps.

Upvote 0
As others said, it pulls 32 amps with that adapter. You can verify this on the screen inside the car.

Since you shouldn't be using a 14-50 adapter on a 30A circuit, the only way to get the charger down to 24A is by installing a 14-30 receptacle and matching adapter on the mobile connector. The mobile connector will then draw 24A maximum.

Your 30A circuit should not be pulling 30A for a continuous load (EV charging) as it is not designed for it.

Upvote 0
This is to the OP, @MaodouY168. You've mentioned a couple of times that you're not an electrician. It also appears that you're taking what we, here, collectively, believe is Bad Advice, as, "These people are electricians! Of course they're right!"

I'm a EE. I'm about to give you The Basics. Because, and I Am Not Kidding, not following the Basics means you can end up with the house burning down around your ears. Again, I am Not Kidding. And, even if you, personally, don't care about the risks, if you have nearest and dearest in your house, how do you feel about risking their lives?

First, let's hit up Ohm's Law. This is the guy who pretty much figured out the rules of how current, voltage, and resistance work. In case you missed it or forgot (easy to do if (a) it didn't get covered in elementary school or (b) it's been years since you did see it), the equation is:

Volts = Current * Resistance.

There's another equation, for Power. Power is measured in Watts. Power = Voltage * Current. When power is dissipated in something, that something gets Hot. Take a 100W Lightbulb. It's dissipating 100W. About 5% or so is converted into visible light; the rest goes to heating up the bulb and the area around it. Touch the bulb and you'll get a reflex action, or your finger will get burnt.

Let's follow this a bit more. When that bulb is operating, it radiates (besides the light) heat; further, cool air next to the bulb gets warmed, rises, and carries the heat away. If the radiative (think: Infrared) heat and conducted (through the air) heat did not get carried away, pretty soon the bulb would get warmer, warmer, and things would start burning. There's a reason that on lamps there are little stickers that say, "50W max", or "150W max", and so on: Go higher than what that sticker says, and you'll either get an early death of the bulb (most likely) if you're lucky. If you're not lucky, the insulation in and around that lamp will, by gum, get hot enough to burst into flames. Which, if you're even luckier, what with insulation on the wires being flammable if it gets hot enough, will cause the lamp wires to touch each other, causing ridiculous current and, hopefully, popping the breaker and Saving The House. And you.

OK. Say one has a hank of copper wire. Wire has resistance. The smaller the gauge of the wire, the smaller the resistance. Here's a link. Now, suppose you have lamp-grade wire, 18Gauge, and 20 feet of it. From the table, that's 4.61 Ohms/1000', or, for that hunk of wire, 4.61 mOhms to the lamp from the socket, and 4.61 mOhms from the socket to the lamp, for, in this circuit, in that lamp cord, 9.22 mOhms. Now, let's suppose you have a 10A load - like, say, from a vacuum cleaner or something.

Well, Ohm's law says the Voltage Drop Across That Wire is 9.22e-3Ohms * 10A = .0922V. Since we got the current, then, the power is
Power = 0.0922V * 10A = 0.922W.

There's an easier way to handle this, though: V = A * R; P = A * V; then, V = P/A. Substitute that into V = A * R and we get P/A = A*R or, P = A*A*R, the old, "Amps Squared" number. We get 10*10*0.00922 = 0.922W, same number.

So, remember that we have 20 feet of wire. 1W per 20feet gives of 0.05W/foot. Interestingly, if you make this wire, say, five times longer and keep the current the same, it'll still be 0.05W/foot.

Fine. That's the basics of power. Now, let's look at running Big Current through Copper Wires. Here's a table:

1689881670527.png

First column is the wire gauge size, and, going down, those ones with 250 or greater are monsters. But let's pick, I dunno, 8 GA wire. All the numbers to the right is how much current said gauge wire can carry. But.. why are there so many columns?

Those letters, like NM-B, THW, THWN-2 refer to commercial standard types for those wires. This tend to be based upon two things:
  • The insulation being used.
  • Where the wire is being installed.
Let's talk about the second item, first. Just Like That Light Bulb, Copper Wiring Carrying Current Dissipates Power. That Makes The Wire Get Warm. The Heat Has To Have Someplace To Go, or It's Going To Get Hot Enough To Char The Insulation. And, possibly, Set The House On Fire.

Say you have wire routed through the drywall, like everybody else around here. People with PhDs, thermocouples, doing standard building practices, and Sweating The Last Bunch Of Houses That Smoked, have done Serious Research which hath ended up in the National Electric Code.

8 Ga wire that's installed in a flat package surrounded by electrical insulation that's good for a certain temperature and gets installed in drywall gets one amperage number. 8 Ga wire that goes into plastic conduit, where the wires are separated from each other, gets a higher number. If the conduit is metal, that conducts heat better, so the current levels can be even higher.

In short, it's all about the heat and getting rid of it. Live in a real hot area of the country? That could make a difference.

The NEC isn't full of idiots. Suppose that one has a HVAC system with the compressor outdoors. When that sucker starts up, for a second or so, it draws a whopper of a current, then, as the compressor picks up speed, the current drops off. So, one might need a 40A breaker for the beast and, when it's running, it'll draw 20, maybe 30A. but that start-up transient might hit 60A or more. Weirdly enough, everybody's cool with this: The heat pulse doesn't last too long. The breakers are designed not to nuisance trip.

General rule: The circuit size, the wire gauge, and the socket all have to match in amperage. Got a standard 120VAC wall socket? It does 15A. The ROMEX in the wall is rated for the construction and temperature and all for 15A. And the breaker in the breaker box has a "15" on it. Plug in a 8A vacuum cleaner: It'll draw 20A, maybe, as it starts, then calm down to 8A. Everybody's happy. By the by: If you feel the cord on a running household vacuum cleaner, it'll be warm. Guess why?

But, there's this thing: Suppose that one runs exactly 15A on a 15A circuit? There'll be two problems:
  1. First, the breaker's designed to trip around 15A. Manufacturing variations means that one might trip at 14A, another at 16A. After a minute or so when things stabilize. That's called, "nuisance tripping", and it means what it says.
  2. Second, there's the part that potentially burns the house down. Say said breaker doesn't trip. The element in the breaker is a piece of metal through which all or some of the current on the circuit flows. To operate, it gets hot, expands, and flexes, just like an old-time thermostat in your house. Hot enough and it trips the breaker that way. But.. this is A*A*R stuff we're talking about. Every time this element flexes, and it'll flex a lot when one is running it at its maximum rating, that causes wear. Just like flexing a paperclip back and forth. Eventually (when, not if) this bitty piece of metal breaks, one of two things can happen: (a) it'll fail open, in which case you'll have to replace the breaker, or (b) it'll fail closed, in which case said breaker is just a straight piece of wire. This is akin to sticking a penny in an old-time fuse panel: Come the day when the breaker is supposed to Save The Day, it won't.. and burned, charred timbers is What You Get. Electrical fires are no fun.
So, the NEC has a rule: If you have a constant, heavy load (hello, BEV!) you Shall Not Run More Than 80% Of The Circuit Rating On That Circuit.

You want 48A @ 240 VAC? Then, 80% of 60A = 48A, you need a 60A breaker; wire good for at least 60A (see the table, THW, THWN, etc.) over the distance the wire's being run (more tables), and something that can handle the load.. like a Tesla Wall Connector.

You want 32A? 32A/0.8 = 40A, which means a 40A breaker, wire designed for 40A, and a socket that can handle that current. As previously pointed out, there's no 40A sockets, but the NEC makes an exception for a NEMA14-50. Mainly because there's a slew of electric stoves out there that need 40A circuits.

Given the electricians you've been talking to, it's time to take a step back: Whatever municipality you live in, dollars to donuts there's a building inspection department with, in residence, an electrical building inspector. Who knows All Of The Above Frontwards, Backwards, and Sideways. And is the Designated Person who, as an enforcer of the Societal Norm Of Not Letting Idiots Get Away With It And Burning Residents' Houses Down, will double-check the work.

Fly-by-night electricians of all stripes hate building inspectors. They will give you every cock-a-mamie excuse in the book about why you shouldn't pay for one, or why they don't need one. Bribes have been given. Why all this? COPPER IS EXPENSIVE. Good hardware (breakers, sockets, etc.) is expensive. For these electricians, the idea is to be ensconced in a retirement community far, far away, under a different name, when the work riseth up to bite someone. If they're that smart.

Get a permit. Don't take excuses. If the contractors run away, wipe your brow, because you just got missed by a flying axe.

Finally: This is not a drill. This is heart-attack serious. I've got stories, but this post is long enough as it is.

Reactions: MaodouY168
Upvote 0
The internal GFCI breaker protects the connection between the connector and the car, but does not protect the connection between the wall outlet and the car. This is the job of the GFCI breaker.

There have been cases in which nuisance trips of the the GFCI breaker occur, but these are due to faulty GFCI breakers or wiring issues.

And…the GFCI breaker is required by the electrical code.
What you're stating makes sense to me, but why does the hardwired wall charger have this warning in the instructions on page 6?

1689891293814.png

Reactions: cdswm3
Upvote 0