Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two NEMA14-30P on the same breaker box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys I need some professional electrical advise. My house has two NEMA 14-30P port but the original owner decides only installed one 30A breaker for both, so one of them does not have any power.

The first photo shows the current 30A breaker box with the two 120V hot wires on each pole. What I am trying to do is to connect the non-connected wires from the another NEMA14-30P to the same breaker like 2nd photo shows.

I am aware the potential fire hazard if using both outlet together, so I have plan to double check the mobile connector is disconnected before using rhe dryer and vice versa.

I have some basic electric backgorund but no where near professional. Have anyone been to a similar situation give?Any suggestion of if this is the correct way towconnect the way?

Attachments

• 20230717_061043.jpg
    20230717_061043.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 20230717_061038.jpg
    20230717_061038.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 98
Solution
Update- After calculating some different approaches as discussed above, I end up hiring an electrician to install a new NEMA14-50 outlet with a 30Amp breaker next to the panel for $300. I am not feeling too comfortable wiring the breaker myself and don't think there is a better solution for the price and convenience. Now except the outlet is not aligned with the panel, which drives me crazy because I got OCD, everything else is great😂
Assuming you plan to use one for charging your EV, what you propose is a code violation so you can‘t do it:

“Section 625.40 in the 2020 NEC® required all electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) to be supplied by an individual branch circuit that serves no other outlets regardless of the size (or level) of the vehicle charger.”

What you can do, if your breaker box supports it, is to replace four of the standard breakers (all next to each other) with two tandem breakers, this will open two slots. Such as this for 15-amp, also available for 20-amp.:

Then you can add a new 30-amp 2-pole breaker.

BTW, whichever breaker is used to support charging must be a GFIC breaker!

Upvote 0
"Guys I need some professional electrical advise"

You need a professional, not the advice from a forum. Hire a licensed electrician.

The first picture show the wires not going all the way into the breaker, or stripped too long, neither good.

The second picture showing loose unterminated wires in the breaker box is a big safety hazard. Get an electrician.
Well, it's funny as you pointed out. This is the first time I removed the panel cover since the last time the electrician came over to wire the current NEMA14-30P from another outlet, and this is what he left me with. I guess the professional electrician we referring to is not always that professional ;)

Upvote 0
Assuming you plan to use one for charging your EV, what you propose is a code violation so you can‘t do it:

“Section 625.40 in the 2020 NEC® required all electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) to be supplied by an individual branch circuit that serves no other outlets regardless of the size (or level) of the vehicle charger.”

What you can do, if your breaker box supports it, is to replace four of the standard breakers (all next to each other) with two tandem breakers, this will open two slots. Such as this for 15-amp, also available for 20-amp.:

Then you can add a new 30-amp 2-pole breaker.

BTW, whichever breaker is used to support charging must be a GFIC breaker!
My previous reply was blocked probably because I shared a youtube link. But I was saying the reason why I want to try this is I saw ppl use a Y splitter on the dryer port to charge their EV, while manually avoiding using both at the same time. I would imagine using a splitter is not that different from two separate outlets. What kind of safety hazard could there be if using them separately in regard to the NEC 625.40 code restriction?

Upvote 0
But I was saying the reason why I want to try this is I saw ppl use a Y splitter on the dryer port to charge their EV, while manually avoiding using both at the same time.

Splitter like that are generally not to code. Only if they either automatically swap between devices (with no user intervention) or there is a manual disconnect installed between the two such that its Impossible to use both at the same time from a physical perspective.

Reactions: MaodouY168
Upvote 0
(moderator note)

@MaodouY168

Here is the video you were attempting to share (I pulled it from the deleted post). as I mentioned, the post was deleted because you typed the entire thing inside the quote box of a poster you were attempting to quote (@ATPMSD ), so it made it look like they (@ATPMSD ) said what you were typing.

Note that I am not making any representation or opinion on the contents of this video, I am simply re posting it for you since you were attempting to post it previously

Upvote 0
@MaodouY168

If you want to use a ”splitter“ it has to be something like this (there are several versions on the market):

Points to keep in mind:

• It needs to be automatic
  • If the wall outlet is a 14-30, then the EV outlet on the splitter also needs to be a 14-30 (not a 14-50 as the car will attempt to draw too high a load)
  • The breaker must be a GFIC breaker

Upvote 0
@MaodouY168

If you want to use a ”splitter“ it has to be something like this (there are several versions on the market):

Points to keep in mind:

• It needs to be automatic
  • If the wall outlet is a 14-30, then the EV outlet on the splitter also needs to be a 14-30 (not a 14-50 as the car will attempt to draw too high a load)
  • The breaker must be a GFIC breaker
They also have one that says it’s “safety certified.” Can’t seem to see who it is certified by, but this seems like it could be good solution.

Reactions: MaodouY168
Upvote 0
Well, it's funny as you pointed out. This is the first time I removed the panel cover since the last time the electrician came over to wire the current NEMA14-30P from another outlet, and this is what he left me with. I guess the professional electrician we referring to is not always that professional ;)
Apparently, you might call him/her again and get them to fix it for free.

Upvote 0
Update- After calculating some different approaches as discussed above, I end up hiring an electrician to install a new NEMA14-50 outlet with a 30Amp breaker next to the panel for $300. I am not feeling too comfortable wiring the breaker myself and don't think there is a better solution for the price and convenience. Now except the outlet is not aligned with the panel, which drives me crazy because I got OCD, everything else is great😂

Attachments

• 20230719_125540.jpg
    20230719_125540.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Waait.. you had an electrician put a 14-50 on a 30A breaker? That is absolutely not permissible. Was this an actual licensed electrician? If so, they shouldn't be.

A 14-50 requires a 50A breaker. I would be questioning what kind of wire they used here as well, since it may not be up to snuff for 50A usage.

You should not use this outlet with a 14-50 charger until you call them back and ask some questions.

Reactions: davewill and ATPMSD
Upvote 0