Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading this forum for the last 6 months in an effort to coupe with my waiting anxiety. FinallyI got my car (and I truly love it!). After 1 week and 1800 miles on California and Nevada freeways and local roads, here are my 2 cents:

As a background and base to compare, I usually lease german cars in 55-75k range. The model 3 is replacing leased E350. Out of the door price was $61700 and I was worried that the car would not have the feeling of a car in this price range. I was relieved this is not the case by far. I can't stop thinking about the car (after having about 20 cars over time) and coming with excuses to get out and drive it. This car makes you feel like you are in the future. To compare this car to gas cars is like comparing iPhone to Blackberry. We al know where that compare ended. For me, not only this car beats the 3 and C class, it is better than E and 5 in so many ways.

What I like:
1. The amazing range. Also the Tesla charging network. I have had charge speeds up to 396 miles per hour. It is way above anything I expected.
2. The quiet effortless power
3. The auto pilot - it is amazing. It consist of intelligent speed control and auto driving helper.

First, I love the auto speed control in my X5 - it greatly reduce the driving effort in traffic and in long drives. The model 3 auto speed control is head and shoulders better than the one on X5. On California freeways it is not uncommon when driving at 70 mph the traffic to stops to a halt abruptly. In that case, X5 would not anticipate the stopping cars and without my intervention would crash. So far I had no need to correct the speed control in mode 3 - it sees the cars ahead and very intelligently anticipates and controls the distance to the car ahead. It also keeps close to the leading car which is important safety element so no one pulls in front of me due to speed control not following in proper distance.

The auto driving part is also super helpful when used in proper way. It drives very well on freeways. I feel very confident on lower speeds and in traffic. On higher speeds or narrow lines it does well but it needs close attention if heavy truck traffic in adjacent lines. Mainly because I do not like having heavy trucks at both by sides at 75 mph and would change my speed to avoid situation like that. I use it al the time, while keeping my hands on the wheel. It is always obvious to me when to disconnect the AP so when the AP is in control I feel really helped and relaxed. From now on I will not get any new car without AP, that is how much this feels now as a major feature that any car must have.

4. The clean elegant cabin
5. The single screen and no buttons - the interface is so well done, that once you set all that you need, there is no need to touch the screen at all (or very little and is easy, obvious and natural).
6. The air condition - l like to set the temperature to 72 and never touch the controls ever. In Tesla, like in other of my cars, the temperature and the fan works perfect and temperature and fan speed is kept perfect. Today it was 103F and drove for 4 hours. The car was cool, no heat radiates from the roof, uniform cool space, no freezing air vent air, the AC is just perfect.
7. The map and the navigation system - It is absolutely best I have ever had. The navigation systems on my X5 and E350 are absolutely unusable, and I usually use my iPhone for that. This is the first in car navigation system that I can use instead my iPhone. Enough said.
8. The voice controls - you can do plenty of task using alexa like voice controls. The voice recognition is outstanding
9. The quality feel of the car - everything feels substantial, with elegant design and proper purpose. Todays cluttered car interiors feel tasteless and old.
10. On my car (vin 26xxx) the paint, fit and finish was perfect. The car is solid and rattle free. The ride is outstanding.
11. The keyless car access using phone and cards - so easy to use and feels natural. The car just waits for you and anticipate what you need.
12. Little nice touches as automatically geolocating you are closing to your garage an opening the doors (you can disable that).

What I dislike:
I have no dislikes for this car. Sorry.

Wish list:
- As I am older, I would like to have screen option to change to bigger icons and font sizes.
- While the ride is great as it is, I would pay for air suspension option with ability for softer ride.
- What I really want is the model Y (while I like model 3, I like SUV style cars since it is easier to get in and out). However, this cart has as much internal space as my X5 (short of the back opening on X5) and more than E350.
- More cabin insulation at least for the extended range car. The car is on average 6 db louder at 70 mph than my BMW X5 (78 vs 72 db). On roads with rough concrete surface, the tire noise is loud. On smooth roads the car is pleasantly quiet.

Finally, this car is seriously fast. I am used to 300hp cars but this is another dimension. If you have younger drivers, be aware of the risks.

Here it is, if you are waiting and getting upset (as I was when waiting the last month), once you get the gar, you will forget what is to wait and it was a long wait for sure!

Cheers to you all.

I was reading this forum for the last 6 months in an effort to coupe with my waiting anxiety. FinallyI got my car (and I truly love it!). After 1 week and 1800 miles on California and Nevada freeways and local roads, here are my 2 cents:

As a background and base to compare, I usually lease german cars in 55-75k range. The model 3 is replacing leased E350. Out of the door price was $61700 and I was worried that the car would not have the feeling of a car in this price range. I was relieved this is not the case by far. I can't stop thinking about the car (after having about 20 cars over time) and coming with excuses to get out and drive it. This car makes you feel like you are in the future. To compare this car to gas cars is like comparing iPhone to Blackberry. We al know where that compare ended. For me, not only this car beats the 3 and C class, it is better than E and 5 in so many ways.

What I like:
1. The amazing range. Also the Tesla charging network. I have had charge speeds up to 396 miles per hour. It is way above anything I expected.
2. The quiet effortless power
3. The auto pilot - it is amazing. It consist of intelligent speed control and auto driving helper.

First, I love the auto speed control in my X5 - it greatly reduce the driving effort in traffic and in long drives. The model 3 auto speed control is head and shoulders better than the one on X5. On California freeways it is not uncommon when driving at 70 mph the traffic to stops to a halt abruptly. In that case, X5 would not anticipate the stopping cars and without my intervention would crash. So far I had no need to correct the speed control in mode 3 - it sees the cars ahead and very intelligently anticipates and controls the distance to the car ahead. It also keeps close to the leading car which is important safety element so no one pulls in front of me due to speed control not following in proper distance.

The auto driving part is also super helpful when used in proper way. It drives very well on freeways. I feel very confident on lower speeds and in traffic. On higher speeds or narrow lines it does well but it needs close attention if heavy truck traffic in adjacent lines. Mainly because I do not like having heavy trucks at both by sides at 75 mph and would change my speed to avoid situation like that. I use it al the time, while keeping my hands on the wheel. It is always obvious to me when to disconnect the AP so when the AP is in control I feel really helped and relaxed. From now on I will not get any new car without AP, that is how much this feels now as a major feature that any car must have.

4. The clean elegant cabin
5. The single screen and no buttons - the interface is so well done, that once you set all that you need, there is no need to touch the screen at all (or very little and is easy, obvious and natural).

Wish list:
- As I am older, I would like to have screen option to change to bigger icons and font sizes.
- While the ride is great as it is, I would pay for air suspension option with ability for softer ride.
- What I really want is the model Y (while I like model 3, I like SUV style cars since it is easier to get in and out). However, this cart has as much internal space as my X5 (short of the back opening on X5) and more than E350.
- More cabin insulation at least for the extended range car. The car is on average 6 db louder at 70 mph than my BMW X5 (78 vs 72 db). On roads with rough concrete surface, the tire noise is loud. On smooth roads the car is pleasantly quiet.

Finally, this car is seriously fast. I am used to 300hp cars but this is another dimension. If you have younger drivers, be aware of the risks.

Here it is, if you are waiting and getting upset (as I was when waiting the last month), once you get the gar, you will forget what is to wait and it was a long wait for sure!

Cheers to you all.

I think Elon recommended changing the tire pressure for the optimal softer ride.

Thanks for the post and congrats. Reading posts like this certainly makes us who are still waiting excited. For many of us, this is most likely the first time ever that we have put a deposit down two years before we could purchase a vehicle and then dropping $60k on a vehicle that we have never drove. The waiting game as been frustrating in what seems to be an over all awesome experience. Thanks again for your review.

Great post. What's your opinion on the back seats? Are they really usable by adults or just kids 12 and under? Is the middle (5th) seat really a seat? I'm a line waiter and am waiting for the SR AWD. But I also need usable back seats.

I have the new style back seats (with more padding?). The back seats seems to be like in any mid size sedan and are fully usable. The feeling (in my opinion, and I have not traveled in the back seats, just sat there) is awesome because of the glass roof. I was skeptical of the glass roof before I sat in the car, but now I think this adds to the "futuristic" feel. There are some nice videos on youtube with detailed reviews where you will probably get better idea what to expect. BTW, the front seats are exceptionally comfortable, well fitting and with quality foam, I like them much better than my "other" car...

• Informative
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
steve1 - That's one amazing review of an M3 - to be honest I'm positively green with envy. If I had any lingering doubts about this car then your post has well and truly kicked them down the road. Sadly, for us in the UK, the M3 arriving at our shores is a long, long way away - but I try and console myself by thinking how many improvements and tweaks will have occurred before that joyous day arrives!

Great post. What's your opinion on the back seats? Are they really usable by adults or just kids 12 and under? Is the middle (5th) seat really a seat? I'm a line waiter and am waiting for the SR AWD. But I also need usable back seats.

My 3 ended up in the shop here in Houston on June 2, a few days after I picked it up on May 30th. This was just before a planned road trip on June 6th to visit my brother in Wisconsin with my folks. Tesla gave me a loaner S 100D (2018 model with a couple thousand miles on it) and said to take it if they didn't have my 3 done in time. They didn't, so we did. My folks took turns sitting in the back as they wanted me in front to help with the screen whenever one of them took a turn driving.

My sister's son was already at my brother's and joined us for the trip back so we could return him home to Corpus Christi (south Texas). He's 15, so didn't drive, but is over 6 ft tall.

We got back on the 17th and I picked up my 3 on the 18th. My nephew spent the week with my folks, then this past weekend we took him home to Corpus Christi & celebrated my sister's birthday.

Feedback from my folks & nephew on the 3 vs S:
  1. The 3 was significantly easier to get in/out of (dad has trouble bending his limbs due to arthritis) for both the front and back seats.
  2. My 3's gen 2 seats were more comfortable (have no idea on how gen 1 would compare).
  3. The 3 felt roomier with 4 people in the car (we never tried with 5).
  4. My nephew had to hunched over (or lean into the middle seat*) in the back of the S, was upright in the back of my 3.
I suspect #3 was most likely due to cabin height rather than width.

* this caused minor issues due to "unbuckled seat belt" warnings popping up over S's close-up direction map (in the instrument cluster) at inopportune times. Solved by buckling the middle seat belt.