Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Y Nearly Stopped.......... for a tree leaf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I couldn't edit my response to include the image for some reason)

>- At ~45s I see the 55 MPH sign on the right.

View attachment 588842

I was only using TACC and the 55mph sign did not cause the sever braking, as I had passed many other 55mph signs (the official speed limit but everyone goes 65-70mph on this freeway). Also, I'm not on the latest software that can read signs yet either, as I have 2020.32.3 still. Here is how the incident appears in TeslaMate (Speed and Power graphed).

upload_2020-9-16_17-48-57.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: CO_MY
Thanks for the response with data--it's very helpful. TeslaMate seems very nifty. It'd be good if someone could poke around in the video and figure out what actually happened, if possible (what did the car saw and what it was doing).

- Quick deceleration from ~65mph to ~50mph
- Heavy braking/regen event (-87kW max) followed by acceleration to get back up to speed
- Your car seemed relatively isolated from traffic and not following the car ahead, but distances in videos are hard to judge and things seem distant when they're not

I was only using TACC and the 55mph sign did not cause the sever braking, as I had passed many other 55mph signs (the official speed limit but everyone goes 65-70mph on this freeway). Also, I'm not on the latest software that can read signs yet either, as I have 2020.32.3 still. Here is how the incident appears in TeslaMate (Speed and Power graphed).

View attachment 588945

Thanks for the response with data--it's very helpful. TeslaMate seems very nifty. It'd be good if someone could poke around in the video and figure out what actually happened, if possible (what did the car saw and what it was doing).

- Quick deceleration from ~65mph to ~50mph
- Heavy braking/regen event (-87kW max) followed by acceleration to get back up to speed
- Your car seemed relatively isolated from traffic and not following the car ahead, but distances in videos are hard to judge and things seem distant when they're not

TeslaMate stats show that I went from 65.2mph to 47.2mph in 1.6 seconds (it seemed much longer than that, in the heat of the moment trying to figure out what was happening and deciding what to do). There was a cluster of 3 cars ahead of me and their taillights seem very bright in the video), but they were about 5 seconds ahead of me (per the video) which is around 450-500 feet probably further than that, thankfully. My best guess is that either the cluster of taillights and/or the merging lane ending, happened right when the phantom braking occurred.

Happens a lot when coming up to overpasses. I've learned to keep my foot hovered over the accelerator to override the phantom braking.
YES! I didn't actually put it together until you said it here. It has happened to me a couple times on the Garden State Parkway and each time it was when I was coming up to an overpass. Of course my wife was in the car each time it happened so I get the look from her of "you paid $7,000 for this feature and it does this?". Come on Elon, we need better at least so I can prove my wife wrong!

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Both of my Teslas brake for almost silly reasons. Today my S slowed rapidly for some water running across the road, and then later for a shadow under a tree.

I figure Elon is gathering data on all this, and eventually the car will become better at seeing what we do and interpreting it correctly. Interpreting what we see takes up a large part of our brain work. A car just can't compete. Yet.

Reactions: WhyYesPlease
I didn't buy FSD but even if it went down to $3,000 I wouldn't buy it now. The phantom braking is much worse recently. I'm assuming the update but I suppose it could be related to longer shadows as the sun gets lower too. Got my car in June and in the first few months had maybe 3-4 incidents. Now it's happening about every other day including one 2 days ago like the OP described (hard panic brake on the highway).

Reactions: CO_MY and Stach
I didn't buy FSD but even if it went down to $3,000 I wouldn't buy it now. The phantom braking is much worse recently. I'm assuming the update but I suppose it could be related to longer shadows as the sun gets lower too. Got my car in June and in the first few months had maybe 3-4 incidents. Now it's happening about every other day including one 2 days ago like the OP described (hard panic brake on the highway).

When I decided to get a Tesla I thought for sure I was going to add FSD as the autonomous driving aspect was one of the things that most intrigued me from what I knew at the time. However, after looking into it further and mainly watching real-world videos of people on YouTube demonstrating it I decided it wasn't worth it and potentially dangerous at this stage. I think the videos put out by @DirtyT3sla on FSD are very helpful in knowing what the limitations are and are fair demonstrations of the current capability. I do like that I can always add it later if things improve after the re-write, etc. but like you wouldn't even consider now if it was $3,000 let alone $8,000.

well Enhanced AP went down to $4k. Is that close enough? ☺️