Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My on/off switchable PWS mod "for off-road use only"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not here to debate the good, bad, should, or shouldn't of PWS disabling. This is for off-road use only, at your own risk. I am not encouraging, suggesting, nor condoning this mod. I am simply sharing a technical solution for those who wish to, under specific circumstances, disable the PWS without triggering an error and be able to easily switch it back on and enjoy the megaphone, boombox, and all that they offer.

I am aware of the resister pack mod, which can be home-built or bought from eBay and other sources. These mods allow one to disable PWS, but it's a pain to pull open the wheel liner just to reverse the mod. This is why I made my mod.

Description: I used a 3-position, SPDT switch to either direct the circuit to connect to the PWS speaker or a 25W 4 ohm resister. This way, I can switch between PWS disable and PWS enable easily. Maybe one day I will wire the switch into the cabin, but for now I found a good home for it just under the frunk switch.

See the diagram below. I threw it together roughly just to organize my thoughts. Pay no attention to the colors, and I ended up soldering everything (rather than using solder sleeves or taps). For me, the white wire is the + side.

I didn't take a lot of pictures nor make a video, but might do an YT one day if there is enough interest. The setup is working great!

Aside from the diagram, there are two pictures showing the switch and what the backside looks like. I routed it along other wire looms to the PWS speaker.

Enjoy...

PXL_20230220_020140753.jpg

PXL_20230219_070352460.MP.jpg

PXL_20230219_070415627.MP.jpg

I'd suggest using a connector at the speaker instead of cut-and-solder, if that's possible, to be reversible, which I think is important for warranty.
There's one or two products for various vehicles to silence the sounder – at least one of them uses a wireless remote. The advantage being it could default to "on" so that the system resets to active each time the vehicle is turned off, which I think is important for liability.

Reactions: snovvman
I'd suggest using a connector at the speaker instead of cut-and-solder, if that's possible, to be reversible, which I think is important for warranty.
There's one or two products for various vehicles to silence the sounder – at least one of them uses a wireless remote. The advantage being it could default to "on" so that the system resets to active each time the vehicle is turned off, which I think is important for liability.

Good suggestion. Thanks! Do you have a link to the wireless device?

Beautiful! I love the spirit of this mod, good luck with your thread not turning into a dumpster fire. (I was the first to silence the VW ID.4 speakers and stopped sharing my info due to the negative press it received)

Off-road only indeed. :)

While the internet is "like that" I dont know why this topic would be sensitive to some, especially since the pedestrian warning speaker was something added "later" to tesla vehicles. My model 3 doesnt have one (Dec 2018) and I have no intention of adding one. My wifes model Y has one from the factory and I plan on leaving it alone, but I have more of an issue with people blacking out their !@#$!@$# turn signals than something like this, lol.

In any case, from my point of view, this certainly fits the spirit of the sharing we like here at TMC. Owner sharing of inventive solutions, and providing the information for people to duplicate it themselves, should they so desire.

I am hopeful that people will receive the information in this thread in the spirit it is obviously intended.

Good suggestion. Thanks! Do you have a link to the wireless device?
For F-150
Here's Tesla dongle.
It would be a matter of identifying the speaker connector, getting a male and female to assemble a dongle, then using a bluetooth or RF remote relay switch
Tesla PWS Bypass Module

1676921765434.png

This one looks a bit too cheap and it's 12V, but illustrates the idea.
I'd want a self-powered relay switch that doesn't draw current to maintain state.
I'd rather be replacing its battery (presumably a button cell or a 9V or whatever) maybe once every few years.
Having anything wired into the vehicle creates issues with having an undocumented live (fused) 12V wire.
Adding a switched power circuit is also a bit of work and not needed for such a low power device.

My April '23 Model 3 RWD from Shanghai does use the PWS speaker for the standard horn sounds.

There are no separate horns on the left side of the car like in previous years. Plus the PWS speaker in my car is a 50watt 2 ohm unit, while the older ones were 25 watts 4 ohm.
That's good to know. Thanks! Does anyone know if the [old] PWS is used for the alarm?

Hello. I was wondering if anyone followed up with using the RF relay to tune the PWS on/off remotely.

RF is an option but still requires intervention although I know it can be done. At that point, wiring a switch to the dash is also an option.

Here is a thread where I was looking for an automated way to turn it on/off. @NZGUY was looking to use the reverse light as the trigger. I do not know where he is at with it.

Reactions: soapinmouth