Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Paint Issues @Devon, PA Service for 2 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of MY on 6/5(traded my 2019 M3), overall looks okay except for the rear passenger door misalignment.

Got home, under direct sunlight found quite a
  • Lot of dust under paint issues on both B and C pillars
  • Rear seat folding misalingment
  • dings on door levers
  • paint touch up issues on trunk door
  • awfully misaligned both tail lights
  • paint overspray on passenger glass
  • passenger window making weird crack noise when closing
  • and misaligned driver side headlight fixture
Immediately reached out to my DA, sent some pictures since I couldn't attach all of them. Got response that i should book an appointment with service. Did that and the earliest they could see my car was a week later on 6/15. I personally reached out to Devon service team for getting my appointment moved up but no luck.

I live in Allentown so its an hour drive to Devon. Got there around 8:30am for a 9am appointment. SA showed up on time and when I started showing him all the issues, his first question to me was "are you serious about getting these paint issues fixed because this could be a really lengthy process?". I asked him if he will accept these issues on a car that costs 55k? he got pissed and rest of my appointment went pretty shitty. He insisted that I re-forward the email I sent to my DA and later forward to service center email so he has a paper trail to prove these paint issues existed before I took delivery. He mentioned about getting all of this on "due bill" and they will have to get approval from operations before they can work on it. I hated the whole process but I finally had him write them up and was told it will be few days before I get my car back. Got an old S as loaner which wasn't cleaned or washed, still had pet hair all over the car. SA said he doesnt have any other loaners, all they have are 2015 or older. Reluctantly took the loaner and drove home. Later that day, app showed it will be ready by 6/17 which then got changed to 6/22 and now it shows 6/30. So by now, MY spent more time in service center than in my garage.

at this point, i regret trading my perfectly fine M3.

Attachments

• IMG_7537.JPG
    IMG_7537.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_5210.JPG
    IMG_5210.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3040.JPG
    IMG_3040.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5854.JPG
    IMG_5854.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4590.JPG
    IMG_4590.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3243.JPG
    IMG_3243.JPG
    440.6 KB · Views: 133
Sorry to hear about your experience.

My delivery got moved from Devon, PA to Cherry Hill. The team at Cherry Hill was pretty good in terms of service and willing to work with me on minor issues.

Some of those look like they're in the door jam?

The chip on the door handle and the paint overspray isn't acceptable, but some of the other paint issues are quite minor. Personally, I had a few fisheyes but I'm not worried about it. Also had a few chips on the lower sections that are easily visible. The issues I had were minor and I'm not going to raise a stink about it. My taillights are similar and I'm not asking for them to fix.

Reactions: gavine
Took delivery of MY on 6/5(traded my 2019 M3), overall looks okay except for the rear passenger door misalignment.

• dings on door levers
Immediately reached out to my DA, sent some pictures since I couldn't attach all of them. Got response that i should book an appointment with service. Did that and the earliest they could see my car was a week later on 6/15. I personally reached out to Devon service team for getting my appointment moved up but no luck.

I live in Allentown so its an hour drive to Devon. Got there around 8:30am for a 9am appointment. SA showed up on time and when I started showing him all the issues, his first question to me was "are you serious about getting these paint issues fixed because this could be a really lengthy process?". I asked him if he will accept these issues on a car that costs 55k? he got pissed and rest of my appointment went pretty shitty. He insisted that I re-forward the email I sent to my DA and later forward to service center email so he has a paper trail to prove these paint issues existed before I took delivery. He mentioned about getting all of this on "due bill" and they will have to get approval from operations before they can work on it. I hated the whole process but I finally had him write them up and was told it will be few days before I get my car back. Got an old S as loaner which wasn't cleaned or washed, still had pet hair all over the car. SA said he doesnt have any other loaners, all they have are 2015 or older. Reluctantly took the loaner and drove home. Later that day, app showed it will be ready by 6/17 which then got changed to 6/22 and now it shows 6/30. So by now, MY spent more time in service center than in my garage.

Hello Suresh. I also picked at the same location the next day (6/6). My car had no paint issues like you but had some panel gap issues which they agreed to fix with a service appointment. My service experiences at Devon PA was very poor. My SA was very rude as well. Is that person Joe also handle your car? They would never pick phone or respond to my emails. I keep getting my pick-up date pushed everyday. My car was there for 8 days & finally picked it up last Thursday evening only. I'm Ok they fixed it. But overall very bad experiences with my first service there.
My other friend who picked on the same day/ time i picked also had similiar issues. He also had a door damage. They gave him 2 weeks time to fix it. Looking at your car issues i think it should take time for them to fix all issues. All we have to do now its to be calm & wait for them to fix the issues. They have lots of cars with similar complaints & they are getting slammed with such QC issues. Hope this helps you.

Hello Suresh. I also picked at the same location the next day (6/6). My car had no paint issues like you but had some panel gap issues which they agreed to fix with a service appointment. My service experiences at Devon PA was very poor. My SA was very rude as well. Is that person Joe also handle your car? They would never pick phone or respond to my emails. I keep getting my pick-up date pushed everyday. My car was there for 8 days & finally picked it up last Thursday evening only. I'm Ok they fixed it. But overall very bad experiences with my first service there.
My other friend who picked on the same day/ time i picked also had similiar issues. He also had a door damage. They gave him 2 weeks time to fix it. Looking at your car issues i think it should take time for them to fix all issues. All we have to do now its to be calm & wait for them to fix the issues. They have lots of cars with similar complaints & they are getting slammed with such QC issues. Hope this helps you.
Yep, same Joe guy. Never seen someone like that even at my local Honda dealership, let alone a luxury car maker.

Looks like someone from Tesla are checking these forums. I just got a call from Devon to give me an update on where my service is.

They apparently had it approved "due bill" and the car is getting painted at a body shop they use exclusively.

Lets see how long this drags on.

I'm picking up there on Friday. How was your actual delivery day? Did you feel rushed to a point which made you not want to look for/find these issues before you left with the car? I'll be sure to avoid Joe if I find any issues.

I'm picking up there on Friday. How was your actual delivery day? Did you feel rushed to a point which made you not want to look for/find these issues before you left with the car? I'll be sure to avoid Joe if I find any issues.
Hey DD, I'll be there for delivery on Friday as well (at 1:30). Hopefully Joe is off that day. The weather looks good, I have my checklist and will be all over the paint job. Agree with OP that those paint issues are not acceptable. My E46 M3, Cayman, S4, MINI and STI's never had those issues. Heck, those are not okay on any new car at any price. Stick to your guns...er, hold to your convictions!

The Sales/Delivery Team will be handling your Car pickup.The Sales/Delivery team guys are ok. They don't rush you. When i asked for more time they asked us to take time & inspect the car. They give you more time. But they do mention to us that try to find all issues and report to the delivery guy who is managing your delivery. He will need to record them in the system for you to come another day to Service your car. So do take more time to inspect and note down all issues you see. Take pictures and videos as a proof to show them. Joe is from Service Team. He will be one of the team member from the service team.

• dings on door levers

Isnt that a shame. DA said to open a service request but nothing documented and then SC comes back says why it wasn't documented.
Sux because I almost went through same process but I have email trail and approval from delivery operations for paint to be fixed by body shop. Wish you the best of luck because now your words against DA words for the approvals to get your car paint fixed. Mines took 1 week for approvals and all documented on emails. My car is currently at the body shop and I had similar paint imperfection.

Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues

Isnt that a shame. DA said to open a service request but nothing documented and then SC comes back says why it wasn't documented.
Sux because I almost went through same process but I have email trail and approval from delivery operations for paint to be fixed by body shop. Wish you the best of luck because now your words against DA words for the approvals to get your car paint fixed. Mines took 1 week for approvals and all documented on emails. My car is currently at the body shop and I had similar paint imperfection.

Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues
I was told today that they now have all the required approvals and the car is currently being painted at a near by body shop.

It doesn't look like i am getting the car back this week. Got the below email last night.

Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.

Parts Received
  1. RWK MY FRONT DOOR OUTER BELT ASSY RH
    Part #: 1495711-99-B
    Delivered: June 22, 2020

Parts Outstanding
  1. DOOR HANDLE OUTER, PASSIVE, LH, BLACK
    Part #: 1528114-00-B
    Ship Date: June 21, 2020
    Scheduled Delivery: June 22, 2020
  2. FD RH NAKED-MOVING GLASS
    Part #: 1495507-00-A
    Order Date: June 19, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending
  3. WINDOW REGULATOR MECHANISM FD RH
    Part #: 1526801-00-B
    Ship Date: June 22, 2020
    Scheduled Delivery: June 25, 2020
  4. MY FRONT DOOR OUTER BELT ASSY RH
    Part #: 1495711-99-B
    Order Date: June 22, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending

Oh man. Not liking those "Pending" shipping dates.
Sorry to hear about this.

I must say though - you are extremely fortunate to have a Telsa as a loaner, in any condition. Especially with how many people are needing work done right now.
My M3 had an electrical issue it's first month back in 2018 and it was out for over a week.
No EV loaners available at all, just the option to rent ICE from Enterprise. I declined.

We have had a vin for over 2 weeks in source code, but no delivery info yet. We are picking up at Devon. The SA we have been dealing with has been great though, quick to respond to questions. Hopefully we get delivery info soon and not as in bad of a shape as your car. Glad they are fixing it though, but yea that wait sucks

Suresh,

I also got such emails when my car was in service with them. I had asked them & they said its not for my car but for some other car. That's strange since the email shows the parts have been ordered for the correct VIN #. Either they are not telling us and fixing it internally or its incorrect emails. I have got one email while my car was in service and another email the next day i got my car back from the service center. Its not very clear to me & its very confusing as to why I keep getting such emails.
They are probably correct parts for my passenger door issue. They probably couldn't fix the overspray so they are getting new glass and the glass was making loud contact noise when its closed so other parts may be related to that.

These are in addition to the paint shop work that is going on right now. I am subscribed to TeslaFi so I can see now my car is at a auto body shop.

We have had a vin for over 2 weeks in source code, but no delivery info yet. We are picking up at Devon. The SA we have been dealing with has been great though, quick to respond to questions. Hopefully we get delivery info soon and not as in bad of a shape as your car. Glad they are fixing it though, but yea that wait sucks
Sales & Delivery folks are fine, it's the Service team thats PITA to deal with at Devon. If you get a car even with minor issues, you are looking at least 2 weeks turnaround.