Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Performance upgraded brakes are bigger calipers, and same rotors as normal trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys - I have the upgraded Performance - Performance package with the red calipers (beautiful!) Does anyone know if the rotors are the same as on the Model 3 and normal Y, and that the only thing different are the calipers? Asking because I believe there is a lightweight two piece rotor from Girodisc that shaves off a ton of rotational mass and should give some meaningful range. Planning on getting lighter wheels too

So tell me why that lighter rotors get you more range. I dropped a lot more weight when I replaced my 20" wheels with 18" forged.
It's just less unsprung rotational weight, literally the same thing as moving to a lighter wheel (they're attached to each other)

More Range for your Tesla with Lighter Brake Rotors

Similar pages from different manufacturers like EBC, and I'm curious to see how much less energy is spent. On my X just a few lbs from the wheels gained me about 15% range easily. One snag though I think the upgraded performance brakes are 2 piece designs stock so don't know how much lighter the Girodiscs are as opposed to a heavier stock one piece, I'll ask the shop

• Funny
Reactions: Zoomit
Coupla points in a discussion where I think enthusiasm running high, physics running out.
1.). Going to a lighter "rotor" means lousier brake all things equal (which they may not be; you got ceramics, you can have more capable and lighter, no problem). The P+ brakes are better in part because they are bigger and heavier and can handle more heat than the base version. Now if the rotor includes the "hat" and you get lighter by virtue of a lighter hat, then you may not be making much of a backward step on the performance of the brake. It should be noted that by cutting the weight out of the hat instead of the rotor itself, you would get the same improvement in unsprung weight as with a reduction in rotor weight, but not as much effect on rotational inertia because of it being closer to the center of rotation. Just as much help, then with suspension performance, but not as much with acceleration/deceleration.
2.) Though weight reduction likely to help slightly in efficiency, certainly not as dramatic as can be conceivably gained by reduction in wind resistance or rolling friction. Much of that is because you cannot recapture with regenerative braking that which is put into frictional losses. You can gain back what is put into acceleration/speed by means of efficient deceleration. That is a major reason behind the electric vehicles doing so well in city driving--low speeds, low frictional losses, good recapture. As a result, I am skeptical about significant gains being claimed for lighter wheels, brake, tires. They are all easier to accelerate (THAT is why race cars use those approaches and why ceramic brakes were developed--they can get REAL HOT and still work well and can therefore be made much lighter than steel), but they also give back less when comes time for regen and they have virtually no effect on friction-related losses. The sources quoted provide some absolutely ludicrous claims based on bogus physics and marketing baloney.

Reactions: Zoomit
Coupla points in a discussion where I think enthusiasm running high, physics running out.
1.). Going to a lighter "rotor" means lousier brake all things equal (which they may not be; you got ceramics, you can have more capable and lighter, no problem). The P+ brakes are better in part because they are bigger and heavier and can handle more heat than the base version. Now if the rotor includes the "hat" and you get lighter by virtue of a lighter hat, then you may not be making much of a backward step on the performance of the brake. It should be noted that by cutting the weight out of the hat instead of the rotor itself, you would get the same improvement in unsprung weight as with a reduction in rotor weight, but not as much effect on rotational inertia because of it being closer to the center of rotation. Just as much help, then with suspension performance, but not as much with acceleration/deceleration.
2.) Though weight reduction likely to help slightly in efficiency, certainly not as dramatic as can be conceivably gained by reduction in wind resistance or rolling friction. Much of that is because you cannot recapture with regenerative braking that which is put into frictional losses. You can gain back what is put into acceleration/speed by means of efficient deceleration. That is a major reason behind the electric vehicles doing so well in city driving--low speeds, low frictional losses, good recapture. As a result, I am skeptical about significant gains being claimed for lighter wheels, brake, tires. They are all easier to accelerate (THAT is why race cars use those approaches and why ceramic brakes were developed--they can get REAL HOT and still work well and can therefore be made much lighter than steel), but they also give back less when comes time for regen and they have virtually no effect on friction-related losses. The sources quoted provide some absolutely ludicrous claims based on bogus physics and marketing baloney.

The stock upgraded brakes fade in the second lap on a track (at least they did on the M3 and these are the same rotors I think) they are not great. The Girodiscs are just another league of rotor...lightweight, cooled vanes, bullet proof. I used them on my track Elise in the Lotus Challenge Series, they are on my current Alfa 4C, widely known as awesome race spec rotors. Yes you're correct the saved mass is the much larger aluminum hat that takes out weight and it is closer to the center of rotation. But enough people I know with S and X all claim the same rough 15 miles of range that I believe it, it's a ton of weight for those cars compared to the stock one piece rotors.

In term of general skepticism of significant gains from lighter wheels, that's just....common knowledge isn't it? Very common to see 10-15% total range gained from lighter wheels and tires, I mean even Tesla tells you that and bases trim level estimated mileage from these values. But yeah, I am super interested in the weight of the stock upgraded rotors...from my eye they look like one piece and not two piece rotors. If that's the case the savings should be substantial...will update when I find out more.

So tell me why that lighter rotors get you more range. .

Higher weight needs more energy "investment" for same speed.
More energy means more losses.
More losses mean less energy remaining for further useful work.
Difference might not be detectable by your gut-sensor. No offense intended, it is just too small to detect it without precise objective measurements.

I dropped a lot more weight when I replaced my 20" wheels with 18" forged.
Yes, and with that you gained even more range but still not enough to detect it by your gut-sensor.
10ft more range is more range.

Girodiscs drop weight on the hat. It uses an aluminum hat and moves to a 2 piece configuration therefore avoiding the thermal sacrifice that comes with a lighter 1 piece rotor. It also reduces the heat transfer to the hubs and bearings, which are important if you like to pull Gs.

That being said, none of that helps range. My own experience has found negligible range gains. The steering feels better, with better feedback. The cars more responsive, but range..about the same. FWIW, I’ve dropped roughly 75lbs of unsprung weight on my MX. The gains were negligible. Switching off a sticky performance compound to an all season compound netted more gains than all the weight loss..of course that sacrifices handling and steering feel.

So in summary. $4000 on lightweight wheels. $1000 on lightweight brake rotors. $1000 on all season tires. Nets roughly a 15% gain over oem 22s. $6,000 buys a lot of electricity. $6,000 also buys me a used lightweight Miata.

Reactions: kazkioken
Hey guys - I have the upgraded Performance - Performance package with the red calipers (beautiful!) Does anyone know if the rotors are the same as on the Model 3 and normal Y, and that the only thing different are the calipers? Asking because I believe there is a lightweight two piece rotor from Girodisc that shaves off a ton of rotational mass and should give some meaningful range. Planning on getting lighter wheels too

The PUP rotors are only 1mm thicker then the Stealth P rotors, same diameter. They are not two piece rotors either like the Model 3.. honestly not sure why they even bothered with the PUP giving it 1mm thicker rotors.. not that I would complain..

Reactions: kazkioken