Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Rear Rotor Grime/Build Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else get this build-up in their rear rotors?

MYLR that is less than 3 months old and washed every 2 weeks.

Am I just not cleaning it properly? What could this be? Best way to remove it?

Only happening on rear wheels. Fronts are fine.

Attachments

• B2186D1D-5AB5-4E28-890C-2023945B832F.jpeg
    B2186D1D-5AB5-4E28-890C-2023945B832F.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 143
It's probably from disuse. Find an empty road where you can get up to speed and slam on the brakes a few times -- that should clean it off. My brakes were making a horrible squealing sound from this... I guess I'm so effective at one pedal driving that the brakes never get used.

Reactions: JonB65
Are you talking about the rotor surface or more towards the hub which looks like some kind of white stuff?
As long as your rotor surface where the brake pads contact does not have any crack, burnt spots, warpage, or any other damage, you should not worry about it. (I guess you are not a car person?)
Use the brakes at least several times per drive. People brag about how much they don't use the brakes for many days, month, or years, but they are doing more harm than good. Any mechanical parts need to be operated regularly, if not it will be damaged more than overuse or abuse.

Are you talking about the rotor surface or more towards the hub which looks like some kind of white stuff?
As long as your rotor surface where the brake pads contact does not have any crack, burnt spots, warpage, or any other damage, you should not worry about it. (I guess you are not a car person?)
Use the brakes at least several times per drive. People brag about how much they don't use the brakes for many days, month, or years, but they are doing more harm than good. Any mechanical parts need to be operated regularly, if not it will be damaged more than overuse or abuse.
In particular, the white chalky stuff in the picture. I touched it and it seems like it hardened onto the rotor. Not sure if some wheel/brake cleaner will take it off, but I will try using the brakes first and see.

In particular, the white chalky stuff in the picture. I touched it and it seems like it hardened onto the rotor. Not sure if some wheel/brake cleaner will take it off, but I will try using the brakes first and see.
Oh, I didn't realize you were referring to that white stuff. That looks too close to the center to be hit by the pads when you brake -- not sure what that is.