Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear of Y always dirty - why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed that the rear of the Y is almost ALWAYS dirty. As a test, I washed the car yesterday so it was completely clean. 33 miles later on the interstate and there is a thin film of dirt all over the back. Nowhere else - front, sides, top is still squeaky clean. Even wheels are squeaky clean.

But the section from the spoiler down to the rear sill is very dirty for only having driven 33 miles.

There is no exhaust so it cannot be that. Something about the aerodynamics of the car that kicks up dirt on the back??

1682104530262.png

1682104600921.png

So this is a known issue in the Y? How about the other Teslas? Apparently, the Y sucks up dirt like a Hoover in the back. Probably cause of the high rear sill and near vertical vacuum creating the pressure suction.

My other gas cars never seem to get this dirty in the back.

Reactions: EVChris
So this is a known issue in the Y? How about the other Teslas? Apparently, the Y sucks up dirt like a Hoover in the back. Probably cause of the high rear sill and near vertical vacuum creating the pressure suction.

My other gas cars never seem to get this dirty in the back.
not an issue, just a basic consequence of moving a body thru air.
mixture of tire rubber and dust. NBD

All cars do this to some extent (post #2 above), though some cars are worse than others. That's why when you go to a drive thru car wash if there are attendants, they brush the back of the car by hand before you enter the tunnel. Mud flaps and/or spoilers may help, but nothing will eliminate the issue for a vehicle shape prone to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manbutter