Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear of Y always dirty - why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed - my 2004 Z06 would get a lot of dirt at the bottom of the tail lights even on a short drive.
The Y has that small "shelf" at the bottom of rear diffuser which acts like a dustpan.
This. That shelf gets coated with dust with just a drive or two. Plus the sill right underneath the lip of the trunk gets filthy.

I PPF’d the rear and added two layers of ceramic coating. Maybe static makes it attract dust even more? Dunno. No real solution other than regular washing I guess.

My Y came with front mud flaps but no rear mud flaps. I was wondering if I add the rear ones, would it help reduce the dirt on the rear side of the car? If anyone has seen improvement after installing the rear mudflaps, please share your experience. I think it will be very valuable to others.

My Y came with front mud flaps but no rear mud flaps. I was wondering if I add the rear ones, would it help reduce the dirt on the rear side of the car? If anyone has seen improvement after installing the rear mudflaps, please share your experience. I think it will be very valuable to others.
Mud flaps will do virtually nothing for the thread topic dirty behind. It’s inherent with most all cars on the road.

I added front and rear mudflaps to our white model y. Level of dirt on rear hasn’t changed. I just wipe it off almost daily. Same with our model x.

Reactions: Pianewman

Nope. Had em since new, still gets dirty back there.

I agree with the OP that it seems extreme with the Model Y. No other car I’ve ever owned got so dirty on the back that quickly.

Even if I wipe the back completely dry with a microfiber towel- 5 miles later it’s completely coated in dust and dirt again.
It’s definitely in your face dirty if you have white as well. Run your finger on it and you can start drawing after just 5-10 miles.