Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My software wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tescroft

In Musk, we trust.
Aug 23, 2015
Switzerland
After owning a Model X for a few months, I am still impressed with the car, the concept and the user experience. Nevertheless, there are a few annoying software limitations I like to post here. Somewhere, I read that Tesla employees browse these forums so it is best to place feature requests here.

All requests are based on 8.0 as baseline.

1) longer charge port closing timeout
As a Model X driver, I want the charge port to remain open for at least 30 seconds after opening it, so that I am able to get the charging cable from inside the garage, before the port closes again automatically. The port closes to fast currently.

2) radio station pictures
As a Model X driver, I like to select radio stations with station logos form DAB anf FM radios, so it is faster to find the correct radio station and nicer to look at the screeen as well. It should be easy to load the picture based on the FM or DAB name identifier from a internet service.

3) no iPhone media Browsing
Although my iPhone is connected, I can only play the current playlist or track selected on the phone. As a Model X driver, I like to browse my iPhone playlists, tracks, artists and albums on the car touch screen.

4) no ultrasonic distraction
As a Model X driver, I want to disable the ultrasonic indicators in the middle of the dashboard, so that I get less distracted when driving. The flashing sensors display may be interresting for debugging purposes, but are mostly useless when driving for me as a customer, with or without autopilot. Its ok for parking, not for driving.

5) configureable speed meter display position
As a Model X driver, I like to conigure the speed meter position on the dashboard, so that I am able to adjust the position based on seating and steering wheel position. Currently, depending on steering wheel position and seating settings, I can't see the speed meter.

6) consider speed change and indicator
Currently, autopilot nagging timer is only postponed when the wheel is touched. Speed changes on the cruise control lever or touches on the indicator should also be considered to postpone the timer, as they are clear indications of awareness of the driver.

7) timered air condition
Somehow, I can enable intelligent pre air conditioning. For me, this does not work. Although I start driving at the same time every morning, the interior is cold and the battery is cold as well (yellow dashed lines in power meter). Either get the feature working for cabin climate control and seat heating as well or make it (manual) timer based, so I cat set a pre climate timer schedule myself.

8) air suspension admin gui
Stored air suspension lifts should be shown in an overview where they can be deleted by the user. Going to the suspension menu during passing the stored location is inconvient.

Would be cool to get such improvements in future updates.

Reactions: Nauti-Boy
totally agree with the above.

I would take:

1. Manual adjustment of headrest and ability to lower icons on top of the main display. I am 6' 3" and headrest too low in my preferred upright driving position. I cannot see the high beam icon without slouching down. If the steering wheel cannot come up higher then the display should scale in a bit so you can see all the icons. I am thinking of getting the headrest up to max height and cutting the wires to them so they stay there. Have asked for the headrest issue via dealer in the past but the programming seems to defeat the tesla team (yes - I am looking at you Mr. Tesla employee skimming the forums :D)

2. Add the winter controls (heated steering and my seat on 2 heat to my profile) so I do not have to go through the menus everytime I get in the car.

Not trying to be difficult, but why do you open the charge port before getting the charging cable? Go get the cable, then as you approach the charging port press the button on the cable to open the charge port door.

Not trying to be difficult, but why do you open the charge port before getting the charging cable? Go get the cable, then as you approach the charging port press the button on the cable to open the charge port door.
It's possible he uses a non-Tesla charger. Perhaps he uses the fob from inside the house to open the charge port and then plug in a J1772?

Being able to have the heated steering wheel toggle somehow connected to driver side seat heater button on main screen would be nice (e.g. when you touch the seat icon it pops up both the level for the seat and a wheel toggle above it. Someone mocked this up once somewhere on here, I think) or have the wheel default to last on/off status.

There is so much more wrong with v8 that - while the OP's suggestions are reasonable - I'd much prefer Tesla concentrate on fixing the nonsense that hasn't worked for over a year (like the possessed second row years, horrible map and navigation, lack of any real iPhone integration, inability to adjust headrests, etc.).

Reactions: Gwgan
There is so much more wrong with v8 that - while the OP's suggestions are reasonable - I'd much prefer Tesla concentrate on fixing the nonsense that hasn't worked for over a year (like the possessed second row years, horrible map and navigation, lack of any real iPhone integration, inability to adjust headrests, etc.).
Every one thing they fix they break 10 other things.

There are several things in my list but here's one that's so easy to implement -

Make the car stay unlocked inside my damn garage.

I didn't even notice that I wrote "possessed second row years." Obviously I meant "second row seats." Where was my brain...?

That garage lock/unlock/lock/unlock thing is annoying. You need the key in the vicinity so you can get in and out of the car if you have proximity lock turned on. I initially thought if I just put the key on my workbench instead of walking around the car with it in my pocket would solve the issue but it did not. Lights on/ unlock then lights off/lock over and over. You need a "working in the garage and yard around the car" mode or something. Or maybe you could set it to turn off the proximity lock/unlock at geotagged locations just like the suspension automatically lifting as I approach my driveway.

Reactions: Blastphemy
Cool to see Tesla added some nice features like easy entry (had that on my Lexus before) and preheating of sets using the App. Unfortunately, my wishlist, except for 1) I think, isn't done yet :(. The timer for air conditioning/heating is something I miss most now in winter. Its unhandy to "think about heating your car" when you're sitting at the breakfast.