Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Annual Inspection Service Experience I wish for NO ONE, any advice appreciated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. It requires vast access to resources and the potential for environment contamination in the mining and smelting and production of lithium is significant.

That's not how lithium mining works.

First, the majority of lithium isn't even "mined"; it comes from brine. Pumped up, dried, separated, other salts returned. Most of the brine production is in turn salar brine, where the "return" is just the same salar where it comes from, and there's no risk of contaminating freshwater with salt; you're sitting in the middle of a salt pan, that's where your water came from, and that's where it's going. Less common, although sometimes used, are brine wells; these are generally managed as closed systems, although you have to be more careful to ensure that you're returning water to a brine layer rather than a freshwater layer. The salts involved are nontoxic (same minerals as were in the source brine, minus the lithium).

As for cases involving mining: spodumene lithium (the minority) is mined, but it's not "smelted" (lithium is not produced as a metal). There is a calcining (roasting) phase, but that's only to change alpha spodumene to beta spodumene, so that you can then dissolve the lithium out with sulfuric acid as lithium sulfate. The byproduct (after neutralization of residual acid) is tailing sands. Literally sands - primarily aluminum and silicon oxides. There are no unique environmental issues associated with lithium production from spodumene, and the main environmental concern is nothing more than total suspended solids (aka, silt) in water.

As for lithium itself: Lithium is not an environmental contaminant. Quite to the contrary, there's a lot of evidence that we should be consuming more lithium.

That's great. There are other owners with the same experience as you. I'm not saying every car off the line has a defect. What I'm saying is there are wayyyy to many examples of poor QC on this forum which is an indication of overall manufacturing issues.

Jeff

@jeffro01,

I instinctively agree with your belief but forum postings are subject to heavy selection bias.

I pay attention to things like Consumer Reports, which I believe has better data than I do about repair rates, and so their ratings of Tesla repair rates influence my opinion.

So, while my hunch aligns with yours, I don't believe you should use the "many examples... on this forum... as an indication". Or, at the least, not as your only data.

Alan

@jeffro01,

I instinctively agree with your belief but forum postings are subject to heavy selection bias.

I pay attention to things like Consumer Reports, which I believe has better data than I do about repair rates, and so their ratings of Tesla repair rates influence my opinion.

So, while my hunch aligns with yours, I don't believe you should use the "many examples... on this forum... as an indication". Or, at the least, not as your only data.

Alan

I get mocked every time I use that argument here when it comes to other things. I 100% agree with you that TMC is not a representative slice of the Tesla ownership base and far too many members here use this site to justify their slanted believes whether they be positive or negative. I know at least 6 Tesla owners who have no idea this site even exists...

Try that very valid argument in any of the AP threads and quickly shift into your flame retardant suit before the replies can come back... :)

Jeff

I get mocked every time I use that argument here when it comes to other things. I 100% agree with you that TMC is not a representative slice of the Tesla ownership base and far too many members here use this site to justify their slanted believes whether they be positive or negative. I know at least 6 Tesla owners who have no idea this site even exists...

Try that very valid argument in any of the AP threads and quickly shift into your flame retardant suit before the replies can come back... :)

Jeff

If I may: to mock is human(*), to forgive divine. :)

As for AP2: I love AP2 for the things it does well while simultaneously being horrified(**) at some of the behaviors I encounter with it. I believe that is one definition of an abusive relationship. :eek:

Alan

(*)Not overlooking the fact that I fall into this and so many other traps, as well. Just sayin'. :)
(**)The horror frequently occurs after terror.
(***)I just can't stop editing this post. I have two early M3 reservations, hope to be invited to configure any day/week/month now. I plan to use one for my 80-ish year old parents. Experiencing some second-guessing on whether to do it at all for them over strange reports like not being able to adjust windshield wiper speeds without having to resort to the center console. But even if I get past that, I will damn well NOT be turning on AP for them. Imagine fighting the car as it veers towards an exit or encountering a NEW bug introduced in an overnight software update... at the age of ~80!!

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01
Experiencing some second-guessing on whether to do it at all for them over strange reports like not being able to adjust windshield wiper speeds without having to resort to the center console.

Model 3 has rain-sensing wipers. With a dedicated rain sensor, not just cameras like MS/MX. If you do anything with the wipers with the stick, such as a manual wipe, the menu to adjust the rain sensitivity pops up.

I don't know if they've done it already, but I'd be surprised if they don't do it soon: as a general rule, the steering wheel buttons are context sensitive. Steering wheel mode? They adjust the wheel. Mirror mode? They adjust the mirrors. AC mode? They adjust the vents. Normal driving with the radio on? The left adjusts volume and track/station. Etc. So I would expect that if you're in the wiper mode, it (does? will?) adjust the wiper settings. But I have no personal knowledge of that (have not seen any reports of behavior of the steering wheel buttons in wiper mode). I've also not seen a full rundown of the capability of the stick on its own. Perhaps an owner can fill in some of the gaps.

Tesla is not run by morons who never thought to try out the car for basic usability issues.

Model 3 has rain-sensing wipers. With a dedicated rain sensor, not just cameras like MS/MX. If you do anything with the wipers with the stick, such as a manual wipe, the menu to adjust the rain sensitivity pops up.

I don't know if they've done it already, but I'd be surprised if they don't do it soon: as a general rule, the steering wheel buttons are context sensitive. Steering wheel mode? They adjust the wheel. Mirror mode? They adjust the mirrors. AC mode? They adjust the vents. Normal driving with the radio on? The left adjusts volume and track/station. Etc. So I would expect that if you're in the wiper mode, it (does? will?) adjust the wiper settings. But I have no personal knowledge of that (have not seen any reports of behavior of the steering wheel buttons in wiper mode). I've also not seen a full rundown of the capability of the stick on its own. Perhaps an owner can fill in some of the gaps.

Tesla is not run by morons who never thought to try out the car for basic usability issues.

Hi, @KarenRei,

Um... sure, I'd agree, no morons at Tesla. But that doesn't mean that they haven't made some poor design decisions in their enthusiasm.

Let's take a few examples. (1) There are serious reasons why their AP2 sensor suite is so vastly expanded from AP1. Can they really accomplish FSD without LIDAR, contrary to the opinions of many others working on autonomous driving? Guess we'll see. So were they morons with AP1? AP2 algorithms work for some people in some circumstances but sure do have some problems for others, such as diving towards exits, wobbling within lanes, over-braking, under-braking. I'd say these are basic usability issues. (2) Their rain-sensing algorithms have NEVER worked well for me since I bought my first Tesla in 2013. The rear-view camera lens in my 2013 car was instantly obscured whenever I encountered rain, sleet, mud, snow -- I confess that it seems improved in the 2016 edition, but I don't know that for sure as my 2013-2016 driving was in Massachusetts and my 2016-2017 driving has been in the more salubrious Maryland climate. Basic usability. (3) Lack of ventilation for the kids riding in the jump seats in the Model S; an issue that persists to this day. Elon promised back in 2013 that we'd have a ventilation fix in the 2014 time-frame. Huh. Basic usability. (4) Lack of grab handles for passengers, something many (most? all?) other vendors find to be a good idea. Clearly not a moronic decision; somebody thought it through and decided that passengers no longer need grab handles when the driver chooses to move the car in unexpected ways. Basic usability. (5) Heated seats are only controllable from the center console in Model S & X, thus eliminating the nasty requirement to have an actual button accessible to passengers in the rear seats. Front passenger gets access via the center console. Sure must seem like a great idea for a feature so rarely used in the Fremont climate. In a cold climate, it's a constant annoyance to have to turn the rear seat warmers on and off at the request of the rear passengers. They don't like it, either. Basic usability.

That paragraph was a couple minutes of typing and about 10 seconds of thought drawn from the last few years of driving Model S. I wonder how many more issues... MAJOR issues... I might find with basic usability if I went back to my notes and maybe consulted a few TMC threads.

Moreover, Tesla time to FIX a bug or CHANGE a feature seems to be at least a year minimum and often far more. FSD and AP2 have been thoroughly beaten to death elsewhere. Auto-sensing wipers for my December '16 P100D? Still coming. Use of all available cameras for AP2? Still coming. FSD? Ha ha. Grab handles? Probably never. Ventilation in the jump seat area? Responsibility of the owner and apparently always will be. And so on.

Sorry, but you really triggered me with your implication that I somehow might think that Tesla is run by morons. I absolutely think they are NOT morons but neither do I think that they are basic usability gods or even capable of considering all basic usability issues from the standpoint of all use cases. In my worst moments, I fear that they are hobbled by a large amount of Not-Invented-Here syndrome, leavened with an unhealthy level of arrogance. Please keep in mind as you read this that I am a HUGE, ARDENT fan of Tesla and support them in every possible way; but THAT is not to say that I am completely blind to their flaws. I was very happy with my '13 P85+, continue to be very happy with my '16 P100D, and eagerly look forward to purchasing two Model 3s with my first-morning-in-line reservations. But I have to wonder whether putting my aged parents in a Model 3 is wise.

Alan

P.S. You clearly know more about Model 3 than I do. I had no idea about the mode-sensitive behaviors you describe for the scroll wheels, although I shouldn't be surprised as they are mode-sensitive in the S. My first reaction to what you wrote was, great!, there should be a solution here, and I love using the scroll wheels, no problem! My second reaction was, gulp, a lot of people have trouble operating controls that shift meaning with mode.

Hi, @KarenRei,Um... sure, I'd agree, no morons at Tesla. But that doesn't mean that they haven't made some poor design decisions in their enthusiasm.

There's a world of difference between being overly optimistic about how easy writing self-driving code will be, and "nobody bothering to try basic functionality at all"

Their rain-sensing algorithms have NEVER worked well for me since I bought my first Tesla in 2013

As I just mentioned, Model 3 does not use "rain sensing algorithms". It uses a dedicated rain sensor. A piece of hardware specifically for detecting rain, same as other vehicles use. This is different from the S and X which did it with cameras (a much harder task to get right).

Lack of ventilation for the kids riding in the jump seats in the Model S; an issue that persists to this day. Elon promised back in 2013 that we'd have a ventilation fix in the 2014 time-frame

That's actually a much more difficult issue. You can't just hang a duct from the ceiling; you're not driving a warehouse. It's highly probable that the engineering team specifically decided during the design phase that it wasn't worth the sacrifices (increased hardware cost, increased manufacturing cost, reduced space, worse aesthetics, sacrifices to aesthetics, or whatnot) versus the level of added satisfaction it would give the percentage of people who actually have children ride in the jump seats.

Lack of grab handles for passengers, something many (most? all?) other vendors find to be a good idea

This one is actually fairer. But if you think "grab handles on the ceiling" is on par with "basic driving usability", you're kidding yourself. And again, I strongly suspect that it was debated by engineers, and that there was a reason why it wasn't included. There almost always is.

somebody thought it through and decided that passengers no longer need grab handles when the driver chooses to move the car in unexpected ways

That's not how it works. As I'm not o the engineering team, I can't say the reason they were omitted. Just to pick a random example: perhaps where they'd need to go didn't have enough structural strength (on an aluminum panel rather than a structural beam, or a beam that can't take sideways torque, or may not be penetrated or welded for mounts), for example, so to add them you'd have to add an unjustifiable amount of structural mass versus the benefit. These things are rarely so simple.

To quote XKCD: "You can look at practically any part of anything manmade around you and think "some engineer was frustrated while designing this." It's a little human connection."

Heated seats are only controllable from the center console in Model S & X, thus eliminating the nasty requirement to have an actual button accessible to passengers in the rear seats

Yes, that simplifies the wiring harness. Again: tradeoffs. Perhaps if you were involved in the decision decision and presented with all of the facts about each tradeoff, you would have made different decisions on them. But trust me, there are tradeoffs.

None of this is, again, even remotely comparable to basic driving functionality. Not even close. You're talking minor inconveniences. Nobody is going to decide, "let's trade off the ability to operate windshield wipers in order to save $0.50 by buying a cheaper wiper stalk"

That's not how lithium mining works.

First, the majority of lithium isn't even "mined"; it comes from brine. Pumped up, dried, separated, other salts returned. Most of the brine production is in turn salar brine, where the "return" is just the same salar where it comes from, and there's no risk of contaminating freshwater with salt; you're sitting in the middle of a salt pan, that's where your water came from, and that's where it's going. Less common, although sometimes used, are brine wells; these are generally managed as closed systems, although you have to be more careful to ensure that you're returning water to a brine layer rather than a freshwater layer. The salts involved are nontoxic (same minerals as were in the source brine, minus the lithium).

As for cases involving mining: spodumene lithium (the minority) is mined, but it's not "smelted" (lithium is not produced as a metal). There is a calcining (roasting) phase, but that's only to change alpha spodumene to beta spodumene, so that you can then dissolve the lithium out with sulfuric acid as lithium sulfate. The byproduct (after neutralization of residual acid) is tailing sands. Literally sands - primarily aluminum and silicon oxides. There are no unique environmental issues associated with lithium production from spodumene, and the main environmental concern is nothing more than total suspended solids (aka, silt) in water.

As for lithium itself: Lithium is not an environmental contaminant. Quite to the contrary, there's a lot of evidence that we should be consuming more lithium.
Thanks for telling us the process - but its not all that way. The Hombre Muerte mine in Soouth America is a regular mine with tailings and pollution and a bad company and all that!

Thanks for telling us the process - but its not all that way. The Hombre Muerte mine in Soouth America is a regular mine with tailings and pollution and a bad company and all that!

Salar de Hombre Muerte? I've never come across any reports of problems there. What are you reading? Tincalayu, the only mine on the salar that I know of, is primarily a boron mine. So the soils are boron contaminated, but they're naturally like that, and more to the point the tailings are lower in boron than the feedstocks.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Accidents do happen. Not just to your car only.

The important thing is Tesla notified you of the mishap and is fixing it.

They sound like they are in Service Hell (as opposed to Production Hell) so they may need some support and patience from you.

While at it, you might want to ask: Does this work slow down/stoppage has anything to do with annual employee evaluation departures (layman term would call it as a layoff or firing)?

Support and patience from HIM? He's the customer!

Support and patience from HIM? He's the customer!

Yes. If I stand in a long line waiting in a bank, I can shout and I can scream while bank tellers are being fired but that won't get the line moving any quicker, unless, of course, there are more workers come to work at those closed windows.

Please understand that it costs a lot to give 30% salary raise to 650 Tesla workers in Germany so there might be some cost cuttings somewhere like the 400-700 "underperformed" Tesla workers in the USA (while those 650 jobs in Germany are guaranteed for the life their 5 year contract).

There's a world of difference between being overly optimistic about how easy writing self-driving code will be, and "nobody bothering to try basic functionality at all"

Yes, this is a trivial point -- i.e., I agree -- and yet has nothing to do with the paragraph you cited from me in conjunction with your response. I don't believe I claimed that "nobody bothered to try basic functionality at all" and if I did, then I certainly retract that claim. I think you read all that I had written, digested it, and it seemed to you as if that's what I said.

What I wrote was, "some poor design decisions".

As I just mentioned, Model 3 does not use "rain sensing algorithms". It uses a dedicated rain sensor. A piece of hardware specifically for detecting rain, same as other vehicles use. This is different from the S and X which did it with cameras (a much harder task to get right).

Yes, my bad, I conflated sensor and algorithm. However, you appear to be assuming that a dedicated rain sensor somehow replaces a "rain sensing algorithm". But there's always an algorithm of some kind going on in the code monitoring the sensor, plus whatever hardware and/or software algorithms may be in the sensor itself. The result may or may not be an improvement.

Not being on their engineering team myself, and quite possibly not being as familiar as you are with the content of Model 3 and/or engineering processes (although I do have a bit of an engineering background), I have to infer that you are comparing Model S/X as "sensor=camera + monitoring algorithm" versus Model 3 as "sensor=dedicated rain sensor + monitoring algorithm".

So I would say to you in return: (1) poor design decision to use camera as sensor in Model S/X, as possibly evidenced by (2) switch to dedicated rain sensor in Model 3.

Windshield wiper behavior is a basic drivability issue.

That's actually a much more difficult issue. You can't just hang a duct from the ceiling; you're not driving a warehouse.
For the sake of this discussion, please assume that I am familiar with ceilings, warehouses, ducts and automobiles and need no further education on the distinctions between them.[/QUOTE]

It's highly probable that the engineering team specifically decided during the design phase that it wasn't worth the sacrifices (increased hardware cost, increased manufacturing cost, reduced space, worse aesthetics, sacrifices to aesthetics, or whatnot) versus the level of added satisfaction it would give the percentage of people who actually have children ride in the jump seats.

Yes. IMHO, this is called a "poor design decision" by people who disagree with the result. Having had my children in the jump seats, and having had to remove them after 5-20 minutes due to overheating and poor ventilation, repeatedly, over a period of years, I am qualified by training and observation to render my opinion that this was a "poor design decision". They got the tradeoff wrong. And the affected individuals are ages (roughly) 2-11 years. Even with heavy tinting on the rear hatch window, the usability of the jump seats are vastly reduced. That's why on my second Tesla (Dec '16), I did not repeat my decision to purchase the jump seat option. Even though my children have aged out of the jump seats, I would have otherwise gladly purchased the option ANYWAY simply for the pleasure of including OTHER children of appropriate age and height.

This one is actually fairer. But if you think "grab handles on the ceiling" is on par with "basic driving usability", you're kidding yourself. And again, I strongly suspect that it was debated by engineers, and that there was a reason why it wasn't included. There almost always is.

OK, I will agree that grab handles are not "basic driving usability".

I will agree that it was a decision likely debated within the relevant team.

This is still a poor design choice.

That's not how it works. As I'm not o the engineering team, I can't say the reason they were omitted. Just to pick a random example: perhaps where they'd need to go didn't have enough structural strength (on an aluminum panel rather than a structural beam, or a beam that can't take sideways torque, or may not be penetrated or welded for mounts), for example, so to add them you'd have to add an unjustifiable amount of structural mass versus the benefit. These things are rarely so simple.

Yes. I am aware of "analysis" and "tradeoffs", also "architecture", "design" and "implementation", along with "verification", "validation", "quality assurance", and so on. When I don't like the design decision that results from the process, I call it a "poor design decision". I am entitled to do so even in the absence of complete information about the process.

To quote XKCD: "You can look at practically any part of anything manmade around you and think "some engineer was frustrated while designing this." It's a little human connection."
For the purposes of this discussion, please assume that I have a minimally adequate knowledge of a branch of engineering.

None of this is, again, even remotely comparable to basic driving functionality. Not even close. You're talking minor inconveniences. Nobody is going to decide, "let's trade off the ability to operate windshield wipers in order to save $0.50 by buying a cheaper wiper stalk"

This discussion began with my concern about the impact of wiper functionality on drivability by my 80-year old parents. If they can operate variable-speed wiping behavior without having to refer to the center console and take their eyes off the road, then I'm a happy camper. If they instead have to hit a button on the center console -- which requires eye-hand coordination due to the lack of tactile feedback for the control involved -- then it's a serious drivability issue from my standpoint that is causing me to ponder whether to purchase a $45K car for them. They will have to take their eyes off the road while operating with some level of precipitation. Not a good idea.

In closing, let me point out that the tradeoff GM engineers evaluated for the key switches used in a number of their products over a period of years in the 2000s was something around 50 cents. If you have followed that saga, you know that a number of fatalities resulted from that design decision, which from the public information I have seen was indeed cost-based. I can imagine that the engineers involved didn't see the key switch as being a basic drivability issue until some number of people died because their engines shut off suddenly in traffic. I certainly wouldn't have imagined it to be an issue of such severity; it's a humbling realization.

Alan