Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Annual Inspection Service Experience I wish for NO ONE, any advice appreciated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...It may have been a bit late...

I think your wishes are very much reasonable and should be easily accommodated.

As bonnie suggested, I would call back Service Center and ask for:

1) Tesla Loaner instead of current ICE: They could put you on a waiting list and rectify that problem as soon as one's available.

2) Status update: Your Service Advisor can easily sent you a text when there's an update.

About the miscommunication, sometimes they can be over-optimistic and think your annual inspection should stick to the theoretical timeline of 45 minutes to 2 hours. But in reality, there are other factors on the ground and not just theoretical timeline.

It sounds like that Service Center is overworked and they need to staff up!

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
Hi fellow Tesla members,

I was recommended by a friend to post here as to hopefully gain some audience to the issue , hoping to rectify.

I brought my Tesla S P90D into the Rocklin Service center for my first annual service inspection (they said it is required since I leased the vehicle). I had made the appointment over their phone service who told me that it usually takes between 45 mins - 2 hours to complete and shouldn't be a big deal. Boy was I in for a surprise.

When I showed up, they informed me that they were extremely backed up, and would try to expedite my inspection if possible. I let them know that I used my Tesla for work, and that I needed the extra cargo space to haul my equipment. They said the only thing they set up for me was an infinity coupe loaner, but it shouldn't be a problem since they should finish inspection within a day or two. Since it was a Thursday afternoon, they said that if they couldn't get it back to me on Friday then most likely it would be ready on Monday the week after since they don't work weekends.

I then received text messages on Thursday evening, and Friday evening about continuing delays. I was disheartened, but having seen the line going out their service garage, kind of understood.

Monday morning was the most devastating -- I received a text saying that they had scratched my car. I had to request twice (once via text, next over the phone) for them to send me a picture. There were 3 scratches along the bottom of the driver door (I've attached the pics). I was floored. They then told me they would have to send it to the nearby body shop to repair the scratches and it would take 2-3 more days. I received an alert on my app that charging stopped and my remaining battery had 191 miles left on charge. -- I assumed this is when they transported it to the body shop which when I checked on gps was only 1.3 miles away.

That night I sent a message for executive review through MyTesla-- stating my disappointment in the service and I was frustrated at being stuck with the coupe which I couldn't drive for work (Thankfully I had an older suv I could switch to). I did not get a response.

I did not receive update texts on monday evening, or tuesday evening. I finally decided to text them Wednesday morning and they replied that the car was still at the shop, being worked on and should be ready by end of week. Sure enough when I checked my app occasionally, I would see the doors being opened, the charging port, etc. I thought "ok, they are working on it, cool"

I did not receive a text update on Wednesday evening or Thursday evening. However, I did notice that the battery charge dropped to 170 mi. I thought this was peculiar so I noted the odometer at 8908 mi. I decided to write a follow up message for executive review on MyTesla again, to see if I could get *any* reply and anything to help rectify the situation. I still have not received any reply.

This noon when I checked the app the charge dropped further to 150ish (now its at 147). I checked the odometer and noted that it was reading 8914 (now 8915). I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also trying to wonder what would necessitate at least 6 miles or more of driving to fix scratches, . It also makes me wonder what happened between the last charge @191 and when I noticed it drop to 170 mi. within a span of 1 day, when the shop was only 1.3 mi away.

I texted the service number back and they then told me the car would not be ready until the following Monday at best and would give me an update then. That makes this whole ordeal a minimum 11 days since drop off, and still no response from executive review.

It is now Friday night, over a week after they said I would get it back. To say I'm extremely disappointed would be an understatement at this point. If you've made it this far I appreciate your time reading it. I hope no one has to go through this.

It is heartbreaking for me since I was on the path to becoming a real fanboy, and in a situation to support the company for many many years to come -- getting more Tesla's in my garage as well as professional recommendations. But this experience has absolutely soured that outlook considerably.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Or am I just the unlucky duckling that fell through the cracks?
Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can do at this point? And how do I go about regaining my faith in their service dept. or customer service?

I have owned an Audi for a long time before this, and never had any experience remotely close to this for maintenance or even when they had to repair, let alone without response from customer service.

Thanks again for your time.

-Curtis
Thanks for sharing your experience. The communication from Tesla leaves a lot to be desired and the executive escalation channel is a joke. I see so many threads where they just never respond. Really unprofessional.

Why don't you talk to them directly about it? Have you told them you're unhappy? Individual service centers don't see the escalated messages - so sending one to that corporate email saying you were unhappy directly bypassed the very people who would have fixed it. If you don't know how to get ahold of the Rocklin folks, please pm me.

The Rocklin team is one of the most responsive (they were my service center from the time they opened until I moved away last year). I find it really out of character for that particular team not to have communicated with you.

Thanks for your help and perspective. It goes a little ways towards feeling a bit more optimistic that others had such great experiences, and like I said maybe I was just the lucky one this time.

Every time I called in I would be waiting on the call center to answer, then transfer me for over 30 mins and was when i had breaks at work. The only time I got through was the initial time that they told me they had scratched it, so I wasn't quite in the right mind to ask about the replacement loaner, and wasn't quite up to driving over there if you get my mindset at that time. They did get those pictures to me in a VERY timely manner though, give them credit for that.

After I had calmed down was when I decided to write an escalation review to ask for a replacement loaner (forgive me for losing a bit of trust at this point due to the scratches being fresh on my mind). My feeling was they would get in touch with me and coordinate something between me and the service center more efficiently. I guess after reading others experience that escalation was probably the opposite as far as efficiency.

As far as their responsiveness, whenever I texted them they texted me back pretty soon, but just kind of simple updates and when they will contact me next. whenever i added a question at the end of the text other than an update (like is there any other option for loaner?). they wouldn't answer that part of the question. I realize now reading the other responses that I really just need to call them and speak to them directly.

At this point I'm going to try and call them again Monday. If the car is ready then I don't need to insist on getting another loaner.

Thanks again for your help. If I cannot get a hold of them on Monday I will definitely take you up on your offer for other contact numbers :)

-Curtis

Hi fellow Tesla members,

I was recommended by a friend to post here as to hopefully gain some audience to the issue , hoping to rectify.

I brought my Tesla S P90D into the Rocklin Service center for my first annual service inspection (they said it is required since I leased the vehicle). I had made the appointment over their phone service who told me that it usually takes between 45 mins - 2 hours to complete and shouldn't be a big deal. Boy was I in for a surprise.

When I showed up, they informed me that they were extremely backed up, and would try to expedite my inspection if possible. I let them know that I used my Tesla for work, and that I needed the extra cargo space to haul my equipment. They said the only thing they set up for me was an infinity coupe loaner, but it shouldn't be a problem since they should finish inspection within a day or two. Since it was a Thursday afternoon, they said that if they couldn't get it back to me on Friday then most likely it would be ready on Monday the week after since they don't work weekends.

I then received text messages on Thursday evening, and Friday evening about continuing delays. I was disheartened, but having seen the line going out their service garage, kind of understood.

Monday morning was the most devastating -- I received a text saying that they had scratched my car. I had to request twice (once via text, next over the phone) for them to send me a picture. There were 3 scratches along the bottom of the driver door (I've attached the pics). I was floored. They then told me they would have to send it to the nearby body shop to repair the scratches and it would take 2-3 more days. I received an alert on my app that charging stopped and my remaining battery had 191 miles left on charge. -- I assumed this is when they transported it to the body shop which when I checked on gps was only 1.3 miles away.

That night I sent a message for executive review through MyTesla-- stating my disappointment in the service and I was frustrated at being stuck with the coupe which I couldn't drive for work (Thankfully I had an older suv I could switch to). I did not get a response.

I did not receive update texts on monday evening, or tuesday evening. I finally decided to text them Wednesday morning and they replied that the car was still at the shop, being worked on and should be ready by end of week. Sure enough when I checked my app occasionally, I would see the doors being opened, the charging port, etc. I thought "ok, they are working on it, cool"

I did not receive a text update on Wednesday evening or Thursday evening. However, I did notice that the battery charge dropped to 170 mi. I thought this was peculiar so I noted the odometer at 8908 mi. I decided to write a follow up message for executive review on MyTesla again, to see if I could get *any* reply and anything to help rectify the situation. I still have not received any reply.

This noon when I checked the app the charge dropped further to 150ish (now its at 147). I checked the odometer and noted that it was reading 8914 (now 8915). I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also trying to wonder what would necessitate at least 6 miles or more of driving to fix scratches, . It also makes me wonder what happened between the last charge @191 and when I noticed it drop to 170 mi. within a span of 1 day, when the shop was only 1.3 mi away.

I texted the service number back and they then told me the car would not be ready until the following Monday at best and would give me an update then. That makes this whole ordeal a minimum 11 days since drop off, and still no response from executive review.

It is now Friday night, over a week after they said I would get it back. To say I'm extremely disappointed would be an understatement at this point. If you've made it this far I appreciate your time reading it. I hope no one has to go through this.

It is heartbreaking for me since I was on the path to becoming a real fanboy, and in a situation to support the company for many many years to come -- getting more Tesla's in my garage as well as professional recommendations. But this experience has absolutely soured that outlook considerably.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Or am I just the unlucky duckling that fell through the cracks?
Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can do at this point? And how do I go about regaining my faith in their service dept. or customer service?

I have owned an Audi for a long time before this, and never had any experience remotely close to this for maintenance or even when they had to repair, let alone without response from customer service.

Thanks again for your time.

-Curtis
I thought you didn't need to bring it in for service when you are leasing.

Rocklin service has been generally excellent but I echo the OP’s concerns about the new centralized call center. My X was in the shop a few weeks ago for a flat tire and whenever I needed to talk to someone in Rocklin (to see what happened to the tire or when the car would be done or to pay for a part) I had to wait on hold for 10-20 minutes only to be disconnected or transferred to the wrong service center half the time! And when I called Rocklin sales (which picked up immediately of course) they said they weren’t allowed to transfer me to service even though I was just speaking to my service advisor 5 minutes earlier! Bottom line is that “speaking to someone” is no longer as easy to picking up the phone. I’m sure it’ll get better with time, but the current call center hold times and protocol are not helping with communication and customer satisfaction. Yes, I did report this to executive review and they said they are rapidly expanding the call center staff and suggested I try emailing [email protected] as an alternative. Lol

Also, whatever happened to the fleet of P100D loaners Elon promised? If they ever actually fulfilled this promise, it would probably eliminate half the complaints about service. In the 4 years I’ve owned a Tesla I’ve never had a loaner P-anything and half the time it’s an ICE.

End rant. Again, the folks at Rocklin have been overall excellent and I’ve only had pleasant experiences when visiting the center in person.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I was told the opposite when I took delivery. I was told that the leasing bank requires a annual inspection and that's why they recommended for me to prepay for it, which i did. I'm just going off what they told me and trusted them with that detail.
Only if it was mentioned in your paperwork. My last lease in 2012 was with US Bank and they had no such requirement. I never had that car serviced for 3 years other than tire rotation. No problem when turned in. I think you received wrong info when you took delivery.

Happened to me. I never posted my exp but the car went in to repair a door, came back with bumper damage, they sent to body shop took a month came back not perfect and I took it back with bumper not perfect and they promised a free service. Now my service manager has changed so not even sure I get a free service.

****UPDATE****

I picked up my car tonight. The service center was gracious enough to allow me to pick it up after hours as I work late and can't make it during their normal hours.

I had a great conversation with several people at the shop. They were very nice about everything and explained that they are just getting hammered right now. They are so inundated with service workload that they had to open up night shifts extending to midnight just to try and keep up with the demand! After talking with them I can say that from their responses and courteousness, my faith is almost fully restored in their service center. They offered satisfactory and good-hearted solutions to all of my qualms and issues in person as long as they follow through.

I believe the biggest culprit in all of this is the call center now serving as a middle man for communications. They gave me an appointment and didn't know how swamped the service center was. They didn't give me any plan as far as timetable or anything going in, and told me information that was not accurate pertaining to the center. Since my work hours are the same as theirs, I have to take off a day of work to take in my car for annual service. I'm more than happy to wait 1 month or even a month and a half to get an appointment just to know it would be able to be worked on *that* day. Its also annoying that you have to go through the call center to get "connected" to the shop as well.

I wish them the best of luck as they hire more help and try and keep up with this ramping up demand for service as the 3 rolls out more.

Cheers everyone!

Just sucks to be the one it happens to I guess.

So true!

In no way did I mean the tone of my post to imply I was "that customer" , going to be "hounding them" or even suggested being hostile towards them.

Was merely expressing my disappointment and hoping for other suggestions which I got and I appreciate and will attempt. I apologize for the misunderstanding if that was the case.

If I in any implied or stated that I thought anything along those lines, I apologize. Definitely not my belief.

I'm a person that details everything so I can see how it comes across as so.

And that's how you came across to me.

Best,
Alan

Reactions: ChuChuTrain
So they damaged your vehicle. A body shop visit paid for by a manufacturer will be reported to CarFax. you now have diminution in value. Whats that number?

It's prob a couple thousand $$$ in a Tesla, even if its for scratches- because all they are going to do is color sand the door.

So how much will Tesla pay you for that loss of value? If you lease the car, you're going to need a written agreement from that Service Center to cover any claim from the Lessor is diminution of value. Do NOT accept the vehicle and force Tesla to ALSO provide you with payment for the amount of what the loss of use is costing you because you are either spending money on a payment or lease, or have the loss of use of the vehicle equivalent to the time the car is in the shop.. . .

So they damaged your vehicle. A body shop visit paid for by a manufacturer will be reported to CarFax. you now have diminution in value. Whats that number?

It's prob a couple thousand $$$ in a Tesla, even if its for scratches- because all they are going to do is color sand the door.

So how much will Tesla pay you for that loss of value? If you lease the car, you're going to need a written agreement from that Service Center to cover any claim from the Lessor is diminution of value. Do NOT accept the vehicle and force Tesla to ALSO provide you with payment for the amount of what the loss of use is costing you because you are either spending money on a payment or lease, or have the loss of use of the vehicle equivalent to the time the car is in the shop.. . .

Interesting perspective that honestly I didn't think of. Atm I'm just glad I got it back. something to definitely think about.

Reactions: comanchepilot
I have been saying for years, and I do mean years, Tesla Service is so far behind the curve that it's likely the number 1 reason why Tesla ends up collapsing in the end. Tesla Service has expanded at a glaciers pace, and that's putting it nicely.

The problem is two fold, one, there aren't enough service centers to meet current demand. Not even close actually. Two, the factory QC is so inconsistently awful that a great many of the problems are pushed onto the service centers for fixes post delivery so that Tesla can check the "delivered car" box in order to keep Wall Street happy.

Factory QC continues to be a major issue with predictable spikes in QC failures around each and every quarter end. It's a bit stunning that after all these years of building cars (5 years give or take since the Model S launch), they still can't do it remotely consistently. Yes, I realize I'm not an expert in automotive manufacturing and as such I greatly underestimate the difficulty but come on Tesla... You shipped a car with a missing piece of metal (can't remember the thread)...

I'm sure there are people here who are more connected with the day to day workings of Tesla who may dispute this post and that's fine. I'm on the outside looking in. From where I sit though, either Tesla has woefully incompetent people making these decisions or lacks the financial resources to do anything about it. Either reason though is just sad in it's own right...

Elon, either start taking the manufacturing QC and service center shortage seriously or Tesla is going to succumb to market pressure if/when a viable competitor in the BEV space emerges. The clock is ticking and time is running out...

Jeff

I have been saying for years, and I do mean years, Tesla Service is so far behind the curve that it's likely the number 1 reason why Tesla ends up collapsing in the end. Tesla Service has expanded at a glaciers pace, and that's putting it nicely.

The problem is two fold, one, there aren't enough service centers to meet current demand. Not even close actually. Two, the factory QC is so inconsistently awful that a great many of the problems are pushed onto the service centers for fixes post delivery so that Tesla can check the "delivered car" box in order to keep Wall Street happy.

Factory QC continues to be a major issue with predictable spikes in QC failures around each and every quarter end. It's a bit stunning that after all these years of building cars (5 years give or take since the Model S launch), they still can't do it remotely consistently. Yes, I realize I'm not an expert in automotive manufacturing and as such I greatly underestimate the difficulty but come on Tesla... You shipped a car with a missing piece of metal (can't remember the thread)...

I'm sure there are people here who are more connected with the day to day workings of Tesla who may dispute this post and that's fine. I'm on the outside looking in. From where I sit though, either Tesla has woefully incompetent people making these decisions or lacks the financial resources to do anything about it. Either reason though is just sad in it's own right...

Elon, either start taking the manufacturing QC and service center shortage seriously or Tesla is going to succumb to market pressure if/when a viable competitor in the BEV space emerges. The clock is ticking and time is running out...

Jeff

FWIW, my Dec '16 P100D was delivered in great shape.

Alan

Interesting perspective that honestly I didn't think of. Atm I'm just glad I got it back. something to definitely think about.

If you end up denting a cheapo Toyota Corolla or Ford Focus rent-a-car you will get a bill for at least $2000 in diminution of value for that very reason - its now a carfax damaged vehicle. And it will have a lower resale and wholesale value - which is a loss to you - and if the car is leased- a loss to the leasing company. Not that many rental companies recover those dollars against my clients because a rental is already a diminished value vehicle - and they never start the computation from the right spot. We can chat about this forever - but its not relevant here.

You have three years to recover on a such a tort in California - and 2-4 in most other states. Its not subject to the arbitration clause -

If you EVER have a vehicle damaged part of the computation of loss is the loss of future resale value. . . .

@jeffro01 - I think you're dead on.

Service and final assembly under warranty are significant issues from what I have read right here.

Service is a cost to the manufacturer for MRO for vehicles delivered in less than perfect condition, or, for repairs of overly ambitious ideas [gull wing doors come to mind - as do presenting door handles] or for other chronic issues which best lay in the weeds. Which means expanding the service department when 70% of the cars on the road have their original or extended warranties - is a total cost center. Not a profit center.

The Model 3 QC issue may doom the company. You cannot sell a vehicle which the public sees as just an expensive Corolla or Civic and have it end up being like the early Hyundais or god forbid the Yugo. They will have major production growth issues - and they have not hired ANYONE from any major auto manufacturers to help them manage the vast expansion of production.

The problem with any competitor is that of battery and motor production. It requires vast access to resources and the potential for environment contamination in the mining and smelting and production of lithium is significant.

If a major manufacturer commits to a full blown EV production line with 3 or 4 different vehicles arising from a common chassis and can maintain the quality at an Asian or German manufacturer - they'l eat Tesla's lunch just for the QC part of the equation.

Tesla has tons of gee whiz features - many of them are problematic from a maintenance and repair perspective.

The issue for most owners is not battery and electric propulsion reliability - its the screens and door handles [and gull wings] and little doo dads and whiz bangs that seems to account for 80% of the warranty service.

The car itself is basically reliable - the batteries, motors, charging system, brakes and basic systems are tried and true. Its the whiz kid high tech stuff that fails - and that type of failure is impossible for a shade tree mechanic to fix. You NEED the screens and computers to drive the car.

Then you have Solar City. . . . I had a solar city guy in. The sales man promised me a new 200 amp panel as part of the install. He promised me seamless net metering negotiation and a stellar customer planning experience.

Nope. Nope and No. The actual written contract specified NONE of those things. The corporate staff locally told me a flat no on panel expansion. A price for the net metering agreement [which was more than I could hire a lawyer to negotiate for me - since it is a take or leave agreement with Edison] And they had panels everywhere on my roof instead of where I wanted them, facing 200 [south], they were unwilling to work with me and completely unwilling to commit to not drilling my steel roof. [They make special solar panel clamps that fit at the seams to hang the panels to prevent penetration of the roof since the roof panels cannot support the weight directly].

They were $2500 more than the other guys, all of whom were outrageously priced to begin with.

You can buy solar for $1 a kwh for panels, wire, supports and inverters as needed. Electrical work might be $2000-3000 from a union shop. And then you have $1000 of labor [2 guys, 8 hour day] and then $1000 to pay someone to negotiate the net meter agreement if you don't think you can sign the form yourself. a 6kwh system should cost no more than $12k - yet - its routinely priced $20-21k but you get 30% back in tax credit, which conveniently takes it to $12k. And no one in a place with a net metering rate system should ever need more than 6-8kwh.