Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla camper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice modification - Did you have any issues with warning sensors going off after you removed the seats?
Hi, yes, there are warnings. Each time you 'start' the car it does a self check and fails on 6 components. Both the airbags (in the chairs) are displayed on the instrument cluster permamently, but it does not affect the behaviour of the car at all.
(downside: any software update will fail during installation)

You can see it in my Dutch version (@12:04):

Thx - Feel like I just watched the directors cut. To confirm, the warning only goes off when you first get in the car, but stops going off until you leave and come back. I had a sensor stop working on my MX and it would beep every 5 or 10 minutes to remind me the sensor wasn't working. As you can imagine, this was very annoying.

Thx - Feel like I just watched the directors cut. To confirm, the warning only goes off when you first get in the car, but stops going off until you leave and come back. I had a sensor stop working on my MX and it would beep every 5 or 10 minutes to remind me the sensor wasn't working. As you can imagine, this was very annoying.
Correct, it beeps once, when you start the car.

Reactions: scottf200
Nice :)

I didn't think of removing the 2 captains chairs. I found a airbed kit for 6 seater Model X on Amazon but I fail to see how this would work for 2 people, unless your partner is shorter than 5'.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07CK8HB76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7531c1dc-ada4-4964-b349-464bb48ea1b6-jpeg.499709

img_1035-jpeg.499708

47ca0edd-d098-4303-9862-de03abdca4d5-jpeg.499707

How do others deal with keeping the car locked, climate on, and the screens off while sleeping in the back? I can't seem to work out the right combination of settings to achieve that
Camp mode won't turn the screen off; it displays the animate campfire, which is quite bright.
I used the campmode with a cloth over the screen(s) or simply used 'keep climate on' (but doesn't keep usb powered) which turns the screens of in 30 minutes or so.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
If you lock your car by an app or a fob and your fob is still around there somewhere, a stranger can still open your doors/trunk from outside.

The tiny lock icon on your screen would disable outsiders from opening your doos/trunk even when the fob is present.
Hmm, that makes sense.
Odd that the icon on the screen does something different but it does not show its 'locked better'.

If you lock your car by an app or a fob and your fob is still around there somewhere, a stranger can still open your doors/trunk from outside.

The tiny lock icon on your screen would disable outsiders from opening your doos/trunk even when the fob is present.

Thank you for that, I will test that out. That was one of my issues, I thought the car was locked, but tested by lowering a window and could operate the handle. I disabled passive entry to deal with it, but that's a pain as I'd rather have it on.

Thank you for that, I will test that out. That was one of my issues, I thought the car was locked, but tested by lowering a window and could operate the handle. I disabled passive entry to deal with it, but that's a pain as I'd rather have it on.

I didn't find out about the tiny lock icon on the screen until it personally happened to me: I used my phone app to lock my door while sleeping at a Tesla Supercharger and lo and behold, a stranger opened my trunk trying to load the shopping stuff into my car!!!!

Nice one, cvonken. I've been thinking of doing something similar for quite a while now. I would like to make it somewhat more flexible though such that one still can use the two rearmost seats thus being able to transport up to 4 people. Right behind the front two seats I would imagine some kind of a boxn across the whole width of the car. A box that unfolds into a desk (so you can sit on the rear seats and eat or work with a laptop, for instance) but also can be flattened out to generate the even surface (like you have it on a permanent basis) to hold a (possibly inflatable) mattress.

To questions you might be able to help with:
1) Do you know if it is at all possible to use the two seats in the back after you have removed the middle row captain seats? That is, can you fold/unfold them? I seem to remember having read somewhere else, that have an issue with this.
2) Do you think the conversion might have a negative impact on the guarantee? My experience with Tesla and especially the service part has not been particularly positive (in context with the eMMC chip on my 2017 MX, for instance) and therefore fear that Tesla will jump at any chance to render the battery and drive chain guarantee void.

To questions you might be able to help with:
1) Do you know if it is at all possible to use the two seats in the back after you have removed the middle row captain seats? That is, can you fold/unfold them? I seem to remember having read somewhere else, that have an issue with this.
2) Do you think the conversion might have a negative impact on the guarantee? My experience with Tesla and especially the service part has not been particularly positive (in context with the eMMC chip on my 2017 MX, for instance) and therefore fear that Tesla will jump at any chance to render the battery and drive chain guarantee void.

1) Doesn't look like it according to some other threads and this video:

2) they usually can't legally void your warranty due to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act void warranty According to the Act, an automobile manufacturer cannot void your vehicle warranty due to the installation of aftermarket parts. Unless the aftermarket part that caused the vehicle failure or contributed to it (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)).... which they would have to prove.

I am still looking for an instructional video, several folks on this forum have done it and one guy said he could do it now in 30 minutes since he has experience, I'm still trying to find that thread.

Also might be helpful to reference my post in this thread: Has anyone removed rear seats in a model X 6 seater?

Reactions: kingpleb