Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Direct Drop Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@kdphan Yes, walnut creek! This is my first time out of the house in almost two weeks. I shall see you around. Congrats and enjoy your new Y, car twin!

@Tholland I'm excited for you!

@Tech Dane It's all good, there are always aftermarket options for the wheels!

@Kuro Houou I'm 34XX, not sure if it's correlated but you're right, it should be easily fixed.

I can't wait to drive the car again...but need to do some work first.

Last edited:
Reactions: kdphan
Got my Y (Stealth Performance model) on Tuesday this week! Took delivery in the rain at the Costa Mesa Delivery Center--a "no touch" hand off. It was tense with trying to keep our distance and sign with gloves on, but the Tesla folks were great. There was essentially zero car instructions--everybody's goal was to just to get it over with. At home delivery was not possible, they said, because we were trading in a car.

You can see we now have the perfect driveway--my 3 with my wife's Y.

This is our 4th Tesla purchase since December 2012 (S X 3 Y) and each car in succession has earned the title of "Best Car I've Ever Owned" (that includes the 10 BMWs in my prior no EV-life...). It's clear that title has just moved again. After resolving a few issues over the first two days, it's proven to be a pure joy!

Issues:

1--No home link was a surprise. This should be a part of the online purchase option process and installed before delivery. I've ordered the part and it will be shipped to our house, but then I have to take it into the Service Center for a two hour install that requires removing the front bumper. Interestingly about a year ago I had a headlight replaced on my 3. It was done artfully in my garage, but Tesla has removed any job that includes bumper removal work from doing at home--apparently some jobs were botched and they just deem it too risky.

2--The cell phone Bluetooth connection was a real problem. Each call produced choppy conversations with echo--and then a couple of seconds later the screen went totally black to reboot. Of course the call ended at that point--if you can call it a call...

3--After the first of the two software updates within 48 hours after delivery, the card keys just flat out stopped working leaving our phones as the only way to get in and drive--scary. Quickly led to the order of a key fob--also requires a Service Center trip. Now at $500 added to the cost of the car for "accessories".

Fortunately after the second update, the phone works fine, and the key cards spontaneously work again.

So here are my added complaints--just one actually. We're in quarantine with no place to go!! I'm sure the Pandemic was Tesla's fault. Must be that Shanghai's factory... The ONLY destination visit out of home in the last 10 days was to pick up up the Y...a clear increased risk over just completely staying at home.

I've concluded that after waiting a year from order to delivery, I would rather risk death than not have a Y...

Attachments

• IMG_2253.jpeg
    IMG_2253.jpeg
    576.1 KB · Views: 132
Got my Y (Stealth Performance model) on Tuesday this week! Took delivery in the rain at the Costa Mesa Delivery Center--a "no touch" hand off. It was tense with trying to keep our distance and sign with gloves on, but the Tesla folks were great. There was essentially zero car instructions--everybody's goal was to just to get it over with. At home delivery was not possible, they said, because we were trading in a car.

This is our 4th Tesla purchase since December 2012 (S X 3 Y) and each car in succession has earned the title of "Best Car I've Ever Owned" (that includes the 10 BMWs in my prior no EV-life...). It's clear that title has just moved again. After resolving a few issues over the first two days, it's proven to be a pure joy!

Issues:

1--No home link was a surprise. This should be a part of the online purchase option process and installed before delivery. I've ordered the part and it will be shipped to our house, but then I have to take it into the Service Center for a two hour install that requires removing the front bumper. Interestingly about a year ago I had a headlight replaced on my 3. It was done artfully in my garage, but Tesla has removed any job that includes bumper removal work from doing at home--apparently some jobs were botched and they just deem it too risky.

2--The cell phone Bluetooth connection was a real problem. Each call produced choppy conversations with echo--and then a couple of seconds later the screen went totally black to reboot. Of course the call ended at that point--if you can call it a call...

3--After the first of the two software updates within 48 hours after delivery, the card keys just flat out stopped working leaving our phones as the only way to get in and drive--scary. Quickly led to the order of a key fob--also requires a Service Center trip. Now at $500 added to the cost of the car for "accessories".

Fortunately after the second update, the phone works fine, and the key cards spontaneously work again.

So here are my added complaints--just one actually. We're in quarantine with no place to go!! I'm sure the Pandemic was Tesla's fault. Must be that Shanghai's factory... The ONLY destination visit out of home in the last 10 days was to pick up up the Y...a clear increased risk over just completely staying at home.

I've concluded that after waiting a year from order to delivery, I would rather risk death than not have a Y...

Did you happen to get a copy of your monroney sticker? I also have performance no PUP, and there seems to be some conflicting news about whether it is supposed to come with the carbon fiber spoiler or not. I've seen one person who did not get it, but their monroney says "Included" next to carbon fiber spoiler.

I read that someone had their homelink installed by a ranger on their Y and that the front bumper did not have to be removed. They were able to get the space by removing the frunk assembly.

Update on my Y:

I've been trying to figure out the rear seats on my own because it's starting to bother me a lot everytime I look at it. I guess I'll wait until my service appointment.

Service center called and said they can't get the replacement wheel on Monday and they will call me when the wheel gets in sometime next week so my appointment is delayed.

I asked if they could just swap one from a PUP that hasn't been delivered yet and they said no, bummer.

:p

02FC7B8E-A888-431A-B66E-5C46C71DC2ED.jpeg
A1ED2D81-A43B-441C-B47C-9C6D5DD33E4A.jpeg

Did you happen to get a copy of your monroney sticker? I also have performance no PUP, and there seems to be some conflicting news about whether it is supposed to come with the carbon fiber spoiler or not. I've seen one person who did not get it, but their monroney says "Included" next to carbon fiber spoiler.
I'm in the same boat. The MVPA say it has a spoiler. We'll see if it does when it arrives. I'd actually like the spoiler part of the PUP. I just did not want the big wheels/range loss. It seems odd we have to choose all or nothing, especially since it's a no charge upgrade.
mvpa.jpg

Have read reports from others about the back seat not folding down automatically. You might want to talk to your service guy to see if they have the parts necessary to fix it right now. Might be necessary to wait a bit and give them time to effect a fix.

Imagine aftermarket will come out with replacement spoilers soon.

Beautiful car.

Reactions: jwuwu

@Ohmrun, was your MY waiting for you inside the delivery center or was it parked outside by parking the lot or street?

Update on my Y:

I've been trying to figure out the rear seats on my own because it's starting to bother me a lot everytime I look at it. I guess I'll wait until my service appointment.

Service center called and said they can't get the replacement wheel on Monday and they will call me when the wheel gets in sometime next week so my appointment is delayed.

I asked if they could just swap one from a PUP that hasn't been delivered yet and they said no, bummer.

:p

View attachment 526525 View attachment 526527

Congratulations on your Model Y. :)

Based on the information you provided, here's my analysis:
  • Your driver wider seat is technically called 60% rear seat. Your passenger seat is technically called 40% rear seat. The handle on the outboard shoulder side of your 60% seat is connected to mechanical seat recliner using a cable or connecting rod. The seatback is spring loaded causing the fold down operation when you release.This is your only mechanical connection.
  • The electric release buttons located in the trunk are technically called OTF(One-Touch Fold). They send a signal to the actuator(electric module) mounted on seatback. The actuator is connected to same mechanical seat recliner using a cable. Seatback is spring loaded and hence folds under actuation. This option enables your electric release.
  • The sound you posted in video is from 60% seat actuator. I believe that the cable inside is not properly connected to the actuator(seat supplier assembly issue) or that the actuator is faulty(actuator supplier quality issue). In order to fix it, Tesla will have to unmount the entire 60% seat assembly from your vehicle, unbolt the seatback from cushion, untrim the seatback, connect the cable to the actuator and/or recliner (solution 1) or replace actuator (solution 2). If the dealer does not have clear tools and instructions to perform this task, it would be cheaper for them to replace 60% seat and ship the faulty seat back to Tesla Engineering - Warranty Dept to deep dive into this failure mode. Eitherways, you are not a one-off unlucky buyer to face this issue. I believe that this is/will be a chronic warranty concern for Tesla Engineering.
  • Answer to your question regarding manual override to the electric OTF option: This vehicle does not have 3rd row seating. Manual/panic overide is not legally necessary(3rd row occupant escape under accident/no power condition). Your seatback handle manual release is primary function. Electric OTF release is secondary(luxury) function.
Disclaimer:
  1. I do not own any Teslas'. I do not work for Tesla or it's suppliers.
  2. My analysis is based on your description, video and pics.
  3. I work in automotive seating industry.

• Informative
Reactions: jwuwu and jdr93
[
Congratulations on your Model Y. :)

Based on the information you provided, here's my analysis:
  • Your driver wider seat is technically called 60% rear seat. Your passenger seat is technically called 40% rear seat. The handle on the outboard shoulder side of your 60% seat is connected to mechanical seat recliner using a cable or connecting rod. The seatback is spring loaded causing the fold down operation when you release.This is your only mechanical connection.
  • The electric release buttons located in the trunk are technically called OTF(One-Touch Fold). They send a signal to the actuator(electric module) mounted on seatback. The actuator is connected to same mechanical seat recliner using a cable. Seatback is spring loaded and hence folds under actuation. This option enables your electric release.
  • The sound you posted in video is from 60% seat actuator. I believe that the cable inside is not properly connected to the actuator(seat supplier assembly issue) or that the actuator is faulty(actuator supplier quality issue). In order to fix it, Tesla will have to unmount the entire 60% seat assembly from your vehicle, unbolt the seatback from cushion, untrim the seatback, connect the cable to the actuator and/or recliner (solution 1) or replace actuator (solution 2). If the dealer does not have clear tools and instructions to perform this task, it would be cheaper for them to replace 60% seat and ship the faulty seat back to Tesla Engineering - Warranty Dept to deep dive into this failure mode. Eitherways, you are not a one-off unlucky buyer to face this issue. I believe that this is/will be a chronic warranty concern for Tesla Engineering.
  • Answer to your question regarding manual override to the electric OTF option: This vehicle does not have 3rd row seating. Manual/panic overide is not legally necessary(3rd row occupant escape under accident/no power condition). Your seatback handle manual release is primary function. Electric OTF release is secondary(luxury) function.
Disclaimer:
  1. I do not own any Teslas'. I do not work for Tesla or it's suppliers.
  2. My analysis is based on your description, video and pics.
  3. I work in automotive seating industry.

Great anaylsis! Thank you. I learned something new.

Issues:

I’m glad to see that the Gemini wheels do not look bad at all. Thanks for the pic