Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My theory why the S/X will never get sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This hits hard. As much as Elon says that Model 3 is not just the 3rd(and newest)version of a Tesla, and that Model S is actually the higher priced flagship version - it's just not true anymore. Model 3 is akin to the newest model iphone/galaxy smartphone and Model S/X are the previous years models that get relegated to the trash bin.

The updates for the S/X have definitely trickled off. It does disincentivize me buying another flagship and going instead for the 3 or Y when the time comes. I do love my X though.

Here I was thinking I was lucky that I bought a new MS recently with AP 2.5, and would get sentry mode because of this... Not. I wonder how they are going to explain why the S/X will not get sentry? Or just keep putting it off till everyone forgets about it? If we do get it, I think its going to require some re-engineering with hardware.

The kick in the nuts is seeing the performance upgrade rolled out to the M3 first.

Here I was thinking I was lucky that I bought a new MS recently with AP 2.5, and would get sentry mode because of this... Not. I wonder how they are going to explain why the S/X will not get sentry? Or just keep putting it off till everyone forgets about it? If we do get it, I think its going to require some re-engineering with hardware.

The kick in the nuts is seeing the performance upgrade rolled out to the M3 first.

Relax, sentry mode will come. :) It's just the integration with MCU1 and MCU2 that takes time on the Model S. There's a different codebase/branch for the Model 3.

Before the Model 3 had different UI (which was later forced up on S/X users). Model 3 did not have web browser until recently, Model S/X had that.

Shows that 3 is the center of the attention though.

Before the Model 3 had different UI (which was later forced up on S/X users). Model 3 did not have web browser until recently, Model S/X had that.

If you have ever used(or rather tried to use) the web browser in the S, you wouldn't be mentioning this. It does not work 75% of the time, and when it does work, its very slow and doesn't support alot of web pages. Occasionally it will randomly work without having to reboot the car. This sucks too, because the online manual is affected by this too and you can't read it when you really want to look something up. Its really just a stupid parlor trick, like the fart thing. In all fairness, I did hear it was much more stable and reliable back in V8. Since all data sent/received in the car goes thru the Tesla VPN, they probably don't want alot of surfing traffic clogging up the network.

If you have ever used(or rather tried to use) the web browser in the S, you wouldn't be mentioning this. It does not work 75% of the time, and when it does work, its very slow and doesn't support alot of web pages. Occasionally it will randomly work without having to reboot the car. This sucks too, because the online manual is affected by this too and you can't read it when you really want to look something up. Its really just a stupid parlor trick, like the fart thing. In all fairness, I did hear it was much more stable and reliable back in V8. Since all data sent/received in the car goes thru the Tesla VPN, they probably don't want alot of surfing traffic clogging up the network.

You must have MCU1. My condolances.
No idea why the browser is so bad though. It mostly works here. I use it for watching bitcoin tickers. But I should try the teslawaze one.

Shows that 3 is the center of the attention though.

This is exactly the sad point.
Also probably my main reason i am never getting another flag ship car from tesla again.

Its like the car company wants us to treat the cars like phones.... use, and replace and dispose.

You don't shaft your top of the line buyers.
We dont even get VIP service anymore and need to wait in the back of the line along with the model 3 owners which to me doesn't sit right.

I dont buy lexus's to be sitting at a toyota service department, although most toyota dealers in my area have better service ironically.

But this is how i feel.
If my car is worth 3x what a model 3 is worth, i would hope to get some VIP treatment, such as faster software updates, front of the line service visits, and some VIP perks.

The company has no clue how to operate or cater to the upper, that we are the group that would actually pay for the extra service and attention and not rant about.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
This hits hard. As much as Elon says that Model 3 is not just the 3rd(and newest)version of a Tesla, and that Model S is actually the higher priced flagship version - it's just not true anymore. Model 3 is akin to the newest model iphone/galaxy smartphone and Model S/X are the previous years models that get relegated to the trash bin.

IMHO you are jumping to negative conclusions way too quickly. See the official release document that says sentry mode will be released very soon for all cars manufactured after August 2017. It does not say one way or the other whether models manufactured previous to that date will eventually get the feature, but it does not rule it out. There is almost certainly an engineering reason for that cutoff date, not one based on deciding to treat S/X owners badly. And if there is a software workaround for overcoming that obstacle that makes sense but takes more time, I would expect it to be in their pipeline.

How many other manufacturers offer improved features free to their fleet, including to models 1-2 years old? How many of Tesla’s S/X models 3-4 years old continue to get many of the new features?

Please put this in perspective.

IMHO you are jumping to negative conclusions way too quickly. See the official release document that says sentry mode will be released very soon for all cars manufactured after August 2017. It does not say one way or the other whether models manufactured previous to that date will eventually get the feature, but it does not rule it out. There is almost certainly an engineering reason for that cutoff date, not one based on deciding to treat S/X owners badly. And if there is a software workaround for overcoming that obstacle that makes sense but takes more time, I would expect it to be in their pipeline.

How many other manufacturers offer improved features free to their fleet, including to models 1-2 years old? How many of Tesla’s S/X models 3-4 years old continue to get many of the new features?

Please put this in perspective.
The reason for the cutoff date is almost certainly AP2.5 as Aug 2017 is the date that started to get installed into cars.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
No, should be MCU2. Car build date was June 2018.
Ah ok, well, I guess it's just buggy as hell.

This is exactly the sad point.
Also probably my main reason i am never getting another flag ship car from tesla again.

Its like the car company wants us to treat the cars like phones.... use, and replace and dispose.

You don't shaft your top of the line buyers.
We dont even get VIP service anymore and need to wait in the back of the line along with the model 3 owners which to me doesn't sit right.

I dont buy lexus's to be sitting at a toyota service department, although most toyota dealers in my area have better service ironically.

But this is how i feel.
If my car is worth 3x what a model 3 is worth, i would hope to get some VIP treatment, such as faster software updates, front of the line service visits, and some VIP perks.

The company has no clue how to operate or cater to the upper, that we are the group that would actually pay for the extra service and attention and not rant about.

I wish he introduced the concept of upgrading bits and pieces of the car, like battery, drive units etc. We all want to recycle and not dispose things, riiiight? ;) So upgrading and not throwing away the whole car would be nice ;)

First world problems :rolleyes:

Just because there are some poor countries, doesn't mean we have to lower our standards. Then 1st world quickly become 3rd world too!

• Disagree
Reactions: Silence88

But they are giving you the VIP treatment by using the Model 3 owners as beta testers to fix the software before you get it. So your experience should be better with the new features than the Model 3 people that got the initial release.