Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My theory why the S/X will never get sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the reason why we haven't gotten sentry mode yet, and probably never will, is because of heat. Last week here the temp got into the 60's, and I was seeing 90+ degrees with the car parked in the sun. When its 80+ out, it will easily get 120+ in the car. I just don't think they can keep the CPU's active to allow sentry mode, they would cook inside the hot car. Do you think you laptop would work for very long in a 120+ degree environment? You could keep the cabin cooled, but now you are loosing range. Factor in that most of the cars that can use this are still under warranty, the repair for this would be on Tesla's dime. Maybe there was a design change in the M3 that has better cooling on the CPU's that will allow them to stay active while parked in the hot sun?

Also sentry mode is enabled each time you are leaving the car. You can’t just set it to always go on. At least not now

So in July when its 90 degrees out, and you decide your parking spot is not secure and you turn sentry mode on, what happens then?

I'd want sentry mode on anytime my car is not in the garage, because I believe that bad things happen when you least expect them.

I got my first OTA update last night (2019.5.15). Very exciting! Don’t see any changes on my Tesla app, except my location now shows Tesla HQ in Palm Alto CA (I’m in GA)

Should I see changes on my Tesla app??
I got the same one and didn’t notice any app changes. Just got dog mode and I don’t have a dog so nothing too exciting on my end lol. I did notice a change I really didn’t like. When on autopilot or cruise it’s extremely slow taking off after it’s come to a stop. I have to hit the accelerator every time or people behind me think I’m an 80 year old driver.

I think the reason why we haven't gotten sentry mode yet, and probably never will, is because of heat. Last week here the temp got into the 60's, and I was seeing 90+ degrees with the car parked in the sun. When its 80+ out, it will easily get 120+ in the car. I just don't think they can keep the CPU's active to allow sentry mode, they would cook inside the hot car. Do you think you laptop would work for very long in a 120+ degree environment? You could keep the cabin cooled, but now you are loosing range. Factor in that most of the cars that can use this are still under warranty, the repair for this would be on Tesla's dime. Maybe there was a design change in the M3 that has better cooling on the CPU's that will allow them to stay active while parked in the hot sun?
My wife has an M3 and when we're parked next to each other, her car is always hotter than my MS by 5 to 10 degrees F.

Our glass has better heat rejection.

It's much more likely that it currently only works with AP 2.5/MCU2 and they're trying to figure out what to do about all of the cars that are more than a year and a half to 2 years old.

I got the same one and didn’t notice any app changes. Just got dog mode and I don’t have a dog so nothing too exciting on my end lol. I did notice a change I really didn’t like. When on autopilot or cruise it’s extremely slow taking off after it’s come to a stop. I have to hit the accelerator every time or people behind me think I’m an 80 year old driver.

Haha, my 2018 MS 100D has been doing that from day 1!

Reactions: Pentium2004

Please re-post and re-confirm when you have installed 2019.5.15 or later. I see that release going out now to 3/S/X, and reviews point to that release including Dog Mode and Sentry Mode.

Announcement I read long ago implied whole fleet, and would be very surprised if it was limited to M3 and blocked in same release level on S/X.

Please re-post and re-confirm when you have installed 2019.5.15 or later. I see that release going out now to 3/S/X, and reviews point to that release including Dog Mode and Sentry Mode.

Announcement I read long ago implied whole fleet, and would be very surprised if it was limited to M3 and blocked in same release level on S/X.

It is blocked for S/X on the same release. People got 2019.8.1, and still no sentry mode. Elon said that the 2019.8.X will get it.
Any time now...

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa

I just downloaded 2019.5.15 last night. Dog mode was included but Sentry mode was not.

Most likely you are wrong and the reason it’s delayed is there are many variants of model s and x that they are still testing. Model 3 is new so not as much variance

I get that the M3 is the new hotness... but it does seem like Tesla has abandoned the Model S and Model X. I read an article about a new feature and it's going to the lower-priced M3. Next time around, I will definitely NOT be buying the "flagship" vehicle in the lineup. (feeling very left-out since about October).

DANG. I swear it was announced as a feature for the whole fleet not just M3. If in M3 for that same release number, hope it is coming soon in a subsequent update. If so not sure why they bothered pushing 2019.5.15 and 5.16 to S/X.
The feature will begin rolling out today (2/13/19) to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.

Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla

Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla
The Tesla Team
Feb ruary 13, 2019
According to federal statistics, there was an estimated one motor vehicle theft or attempted theft every 40.8 seconds in the United States in 2017— and that doesn’t even include the vast number of car break-ins that happen nationwide. To further enhance the security of our vehicles and give our customers additional peace of mind, today we’re starting to roll out a new safeguard – Sentry Mode – to protect against break-ins and theft.

Sentry Mode adds a unique layer of protection to Tesla vehicles by continuously monitoring the environment around a car when it’s left unattended. When enabled, Sentry Mode enters a “Standby” state, like many home alarm systems, which uses the car’s external cameras to detect potential threats. If a minimal threat is detected, such as someone leaning on a car, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alert” state and displays a message on the touchscreen warning that its cameras are recording. If a more severe threat is detected, such as someone breaking a window, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alarm” state, which activates the car alarm, increases the brightness of the center display, and plays music at maximum volume from the car’s audio system.

If a car switches to “Alarm” state, owners will also receive an alert from their Tesla mobile app notifying them that an incident has occurred. They’ll be able to download a video recording of an incident (which begins 10 minutes prior to the time a threat was detected) by inserting a formatted USB drive into their car before they enable Sentry Mode.

Sentry Mode must be enabled each time a driver wants to use the feature by going to Controls > Safety & Security > Sentry Mode. The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.

While no alarm system can prevent against all vehicle thefts, break-ins and threats, we hope that with Sentry Mode and our other security features, your Tesla will be even more secure.

I get that the M3 is the new hotness... but it does seem like Tesla has abandoned the Model S and Model X. I read an article about a new feature and it's going to the lower-priced M3. Next time around, I will definitely NOT be buying the "flagship" vehicle in the lineup. (feeling very left-out since about October).

This hits hard. As much as Elon says that Model 3 is not just the 3rd(and newest)version of a Tesla, and that Model S is actually the higher priced flagship version - it's just not true anymore. Model 3 is akin to the newest model iphone/galaxy smartphone and Model S/X are the previous years models that get relegated to the trash bin.