Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My theory why the S/X will never get sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah ok, well, I guess it's just buggy as hell.

The browser is still a deprecated webkit build from 9 years ago. They sort of "updated" it last year, but it wasn't actually updated. That's why you can't use it on half of the internet and the other half glitches or fails to load half the time, and when you do load a page it memory leaks and causes your operating system fonts to display corrupt.

The browser was never finished, and probably never will be. They're busy adding flatulence and whatever trivialities come after.

Reactions: StarLog
The browser is still a deprecated webkit build from 9 years ago. They sort of "updated" it last year, but it wasn't actually updated. That's why you can't use it on half of the internet and the other half glitches or fails to load half the time, and when you do load a page it memory leaks and causes your operating system fonts to display corrupt.

The browser was never finished, and probably never will be. They're busy adding flatulence and whatever trivialities come after.

Sounds like a security risk more than anything else. Wonder if there are any exploits if you go on the wrong page...

Here's my point of view... Yeah, maybe we got cast aside when the model 3 came out, and maybe the S will be rediscovered again soon. But what do you think is going to happen when the Y and the roadster start hitting the roads? We're gonna be in last place for sure then.

Here's my point of view... Yeah, maybe we got cast aside when the model 3 came out, and maybe the S will be rediscovered again soon. But what do you think is going to happen when the Y and the roadster start hitting the roads? We're gonna be in last place for sure then.

LOL by then the 3 owners will come with pitchforks and torches at the door if that happens :)

First world problems :rolleyes:

i honestly don't think you'd be driving a tesla model s unless you had to deal with first world problems. :D

If you look at how all the AP2.0 and MCU1 owners are getting shafted... my magic 8 ball says future looks very bleak...

I wish he introduced the concept of upgrading bits and pieces of the car, like battery, drive units etc. We all want to recycle and not dispose things, riiiight? ;) So upgrading and not throwing away the whole car would be nice ;)

Apple made too much money by not allowing users to do this...,
I think everyone learned from apple how to make profit and stay in business...
Even samsung followed the way of apple.... i still wish we could replace the stupid battery when it wore out, so we could hold onto our phones longer then 2-3 yrs.

But they are giving you the VIP treatment by using the Model 3 owners as beta testers to fix the software before you get it. So your experience should be better with the new features than the Model 3 people that got the initial release.

sigh...

last time i took my car to get serviced... they offered me uber vouchers and no loners.. why?
Because all the model 3 owners who were pissed off there trims werent perfectly alligned took all the model S loaners. lol...

That is what the service advisor said... then my car was not even looked at for about a week, i got fed up and told them to pull it out, and i will come another day.

Went to pick up my car, and it was full of model 3's.... everyone was ranting at the service center.
Service advisor eventually told me its probably in my best interest to get the mobile service whenever possible even tho there is a line for it, because it gets worked on immediately, and your car doesnt sit in the outdoor lot for days before even getting looked at.

Last edited:
I think the reason why we haven't gotten sentry mode yet, and probably never will, is because of heat. Last week here the temp got into the 60's, and I was seeing 90+ degrees with the car parked in the sun. When its 80+ out, it will easily get 120+ in the car. I just don't think they can keep the CPU's active to allow sentry mode, they would cook inside the hot car. Do you think you laptop would work for very long in a 120+ degree environment? You could keep the cabin cooled, but now you are loosing range. Factor in that most of the cars that can use this are still under warranty, the repair for this would be on Tesla's dime. Maybe there was a design change in the M3 that has better cooling on the CPU's that will allow them to stay active while parked in the hot sun?

Unlikely to be true. My wife has a 3, in 60 degree temps today her car was 101+ inside. In hot sun it would be much hotter. She has sentry mode.

As long as you have AP 2.5 for now, I’m expecting sentry mode of get to S/X in the next month or so. In another thread I think someone mentioned the code is different for the model 3 with the side camera data, in an effort for future redundancy. Could explain the need for validation as the code is different. All above my head.

Even though I have AP2.5, do hope it reaches down to AP2 at least so more users can use it in the future. Like medicine, we need herd immunity.

Unlikely to be true. My wife has a 3, in 60 degree temps today her car was 101+ inside. In hot sun it would be much hotter. She has sentry mode.

I don't know if this is true or not, just a hunch on my part, but I suspect Tesla learned from the S and X and used liquid cooling on the CPU for the 3 vs air cooling for the S and X. That would be why the 3 can run the sentry mode without burning up the CPU in a hot car.

I don't know if this is true or not, just a hunch on my part, but I suspect Tesla learned from the S and X and used liquid cooling on the CPU for the 3 vs air cooling for the S and X. That would be why the 3 can run the sentry mode without burning up the CPU in a hot car.

It’s a good thought. I looked up the design and at least pre release speculative articles pointed to a new combined processor that’s liquid cooled for M3. That said hard to say how much processing power and heat is created that would require liquid cooling with only sentry mode active. Also I’m pretty sure chipmakers make special hardened chips for auto use, different from a run of the mill chip. Again, all stuff over my head, but my gut says it’s coming for us as well.

IMHO you are jumping to negative conclusions way too quickly. See the official release document that says sentry mode will be released very soon for all cars manufactured after August 2017. It does not say one way or the other whether models manufactured previous to that date will eventually get the feature, but it does not rule it out. There is almost certainly an engineering reason for that cutoff date, not one based on deciding to treat S/X owners badly. And if there is a software workaround for overcoming that obstacle that makes sense but takes more time, I would expect it to be in their pipeline.

How many other manufacturers offer improved features free to their fleet, including to models 1-2 years old? How many of Tesla’s S/X models 3-4 years old continue to get many of the new features?

Please put this in perspective.

It's already been over a month since they released sentry mode for Model 3, and still not available for S/X. I do believe it will be released but how "soon" is anyone's guess. And remember people are still buying Model S and X today, some at more than twice the price of the Model 3. Those S/X are still supposed to be the "flagship", but those owners are definitely not being treated that way.

It's already been over a month since they released sentry mode for Model 3, and still not available for S/X. I do believe it will be released but how "soon" is anyone's guess. And remember people are still buying Model S and X today, some at more than twice the price of the Model 3. Those S/X are still supposed to be the "flagship", but those owners are definitely not being treated that way.

My lowly 2017 $130,000 S100D HW2.0 is being treated more like a sunken ship than a flagship. :confused: