Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My X had a bad day today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Started by showing the X Christmas show to a friend, the show started then stopped. I moved the car as it was close to a tree, open parking lot, show starts and part way is starts playing mixed in some radio noise with the song, the car continues with all kinds of distorted noise with the song mixed in. Show ends, get in the car to drive, no power steering with a warning on the dash car needs service steering assist is limited. Park the car and back into drive and steering works. Now comes the good part 1/2 hour later I'm driving into a slow speed housing area, click this link to hear what was coming from the speakers as I drove slowly. Had to do a 2 wheel reboot to clear this.

I've seen other reports of this -- someone "fixed" the whale song by shutdown from the touchscreen under the advice of a service tech. Apparently this is more like a system cold boot and the steering wheel is warm reboot of dashboard and touchscreen hardware (MCU?)

Started by showing the X Christmas show to a friend, the show started then stopped. I moved the car as it was close to a tree, open parking lot, show starts and part way is starts playing mixed in some radio noise with the song, the car continues with all kinds of distorted noise with the song mixed in. Show ends, get in the car to drive, no power steering with a warning on the dash car needs service steering assist is limited. Park the car and back into drive and steering works. Now comes the good part 1/2 hour later I'm driving into a slow speed housing area, click this link to hear what was coming from the speakers as I drove slowly. Had to do a 2 wheel reboot to clear this.

I had that exact problem tonight (MCU2 X, less than 1200 miles on the clock). Same sound. Sound disapeared above 15mph. I did nothing extra, just started when driving away (did not do the Christmas dance). Reboot cleared it. No flipping idea.

Last edited:
I had the same sounds coming out of my speakers yesterday, too. I had just started leaving grocery parking lot and the spooky sound started as I accelerated. Got a bit more high pitched as I sped up. Then went away. Came back as I slowed down.
A screen reboot fixed it completely.
Driving a computer is such fun! LOL...
I love my Tesla.

We had that as well the other night. Reboot did the trick. Googled some forums and there was some speculation that the sound is coming from the AC unit/fans or something. I didn't try turning off climate control when it was happening, but it was a very hot day and the AC was running full tilt. We were in stop and go traffic when it started. Haven't heard it since.

We had that as well the other night. Reboot did the trick. Googled some forums and there was some speculation that the sound is coming from the AC unit/fans or something. I didn't try turning off climate control when it was happening, but it was a very hot day and the AC was running full tilt. We were in stop and go traffic when it started. Haven't heard it since.

The sound was coming from the speakers in the car 100%

Lemonade stand was near my house on way to Starbucks, did that drink, and the kid was liking my X, so then I launched Xmas show with new software from this morning, it worked great. My X had a good day :p, Hope yours does soon.

old |v2018.26|AP2,PUP|
new |v2018.28.1|AP2,PUP|

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I have just ordered an X and am starting to worry that things will all go awry with it when i have the children in it. On the whole are there lots of issues with it?
The issues I have had with my X during my year of ownership have all been minor, and were resolved by Tesla Service or by me. :cool: I can highly recommend the car (it’s my third Tesla). It’s not perfect, of course, but I think on balance it is the best road trip vehicle ever made.

Keep in mind that people are far more likely to post about a problem they are having than they are to take the time to post “Well, this month I had no problems with my car.” That’s boring.

Reactions: K3Man and ModelX
I think the "whale song" is related to a firmware update as I've had this happen 3 times in the last couple weeks. In my case, I've noted some similarities in all 3 cases:
  • It only happened when I got out of the vehicle and got back in within 5 min or so.
  • Never had it happen when parked overnight or at my work place.
  • Never happened in my prior 6 weeks of ownership.
  • AC on in all cases.
  • Sound coming out of speakers.
  • No noise when in "P", but noise starts when put in gear "D" or "R".
  • Manually shutting down the car solves the issue.
Taking a wild guess, I think this is caused by a couple things:

1) Mic feedback to the speakers. This could explain why this started with a firmware update and caused by a firmware glitch.
2) Something related to power on sequence that is suppose to isolate audio from ground loop noise. This could also be caused by a change in firmware. I hear a lot of relays turning on/off when the car powers on so electrical circuits are connecting/disconnecting.

Bottom line is that it is an electrical noise and not a mechanical one so annoying, but not something serious imho.