Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR all season tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all looks to me like there could be a small range benefit from having narrower rims (lighter) with the benefit of more rim protection from a better tyre position... to my eye that looks better too. Too expensive to be worth it for current owners but if there was an option on purchase ...

It all looks to me like there could be a small range benefit from having narrower rims (lighter) with the benefit of more rim protection from a better tyre position... to my eye that looks better too. Too expensive to be worth it for current owners but if there was an option on purchase ...
Just using a narrower rim won't gain much range at all. The difference between a 20x8.5 Tesla Turbine and 20x9 Uberturbine is 1.2Kg per corner.
You'd save a lot more weight buying a much lighter aftermarket wheel, but even then the weight saving alone wouldn't help range as much as using an 'EV' tyre with much less rolling resistance.
A lot of claims are made about reducing unsprung weight and how it helps performance, handling, range etc. but in practise we're starting with a 1.8+ tonne car and the gains are not as great as often made out.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCH1984