Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR Delivery Experience - Bay Area - Nov 22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
I thought I share my delivery experience of our MY and the current open issues with said car.

We're located in the Bay Area as a reference point. We placed the order through the website, never spoke to an SA until 2-3 days prior to the delivery for finalization of documentation.

We placed our order in the middle of May this year. We experienced the standard ping-pong delivery dates. It went as far as Feb 2023 and as close as July 2022. On 10/31 we received our 2 weeks window. That night/morning (Around 1AM), we received our VIN and a 1 week delivery window. Around 10AM on 11/1, we received a set delivery schedule of 11/3 without any ability to change said date. That night, the delivery method got auto set to home delivery with no option for local pickup. The Fremont plant who was hosting the delivery is only 12 miles away from our home.

Given that I didn't want to use Tesla's financing options, I had 2-3 days to shop and lock a rate in with someone else. That in itself was a race against time, speaking to reps, getting documents over. Literally got the copy of the check sent over to Tesla 1 hour before the set delivery time. Spoiler, they delayed the delivery by 4 hours and we will get to the "why".

Come to delivery time (Today in the afternoon), 2 delivery team members parked the car in front of our house as requested. One was a trainee the other was the "veteran" but have only done 15 or so delivery under his belt. He did say that Tesla is hiring like mad and doing a lot of deliveries. The 2 of them are targeting 15 deliveries per day (Combined). Today, their team was scheduled to do 200 deliveries around the Bay Area.

During the standard exterior inspection using a list I found online, right away my wife spotted 3 dings/scratches. The worse one was actually on the rear trunk area where the performance spoiler would normally be (We got the LR model). The other 2 were located on the frunk hood and the last one being on the lower rear left passenger door. I didn't mind that one but the frunk chip and the rear trunk chip was bothering me.

I asked the delivery team members if this was normal and they said this was the worse chip they've seen and it's definitely not normal. They told me that they submitted a ticket to their manager already and that I should complain and create a ticket. This was also why they were late because they are also the team that helps clean the car and report any issues. Regarding day of delivery issue, the only way to open a ticket is for you to accept the car first...I tried pinging our SA that emailed me and texted me regarding the documentation but she was not responding. Spoke it over to my wife and decided to roll the dice, accept the car and see how it is dealing with Tesla's service center (Not looking forward to it based on what I've read so far, haha)

I also called the main Tesla number and they suggested the same thing. So we are now booked for next week to take car in for service review. We still have 2 other cars to drive around in so we're in no rush but it's unfortunate that the car was dinged up right out of the gate. It's not a lambo or any other exotics, I know, but when you wait for this long, there's some connection based on the unrealistic image that you create throughout said waiting period, lol.

Regarding rejecting deliveries, I honestly don't even know how to go about doing that either. Maybe I am supposed to call and tell them that I wanted to reject it but for a company that relies on their app and/or website, they make it rather hard to review your options. The last step to accept is literally to view, then to click accept. I'm assuming it's in their best interest to NOT make it easy to reject cars, so yah, if you have more patience than I do, maybe you can wait it out.

The rest of the car is alright, the checklist helps a lot so I highly suggest folks that care about this stuff print out a copy and go through it with someone that have good eyes for details. I don't but my wife does, haha.

We found a couple of other issues that we have added to the ticket for our scheduled service next week. So far, the list is below:
  1. Chip on the rear spoiler area
  2. Scratch on the frunk area
  3. Scratch on the rear lower left passenger door
  4. Chip inside the inner door of the rear left passenger area
  5. Oxidation on the rear left tail lights
  6. Sticker (?) left on the passenger side pillar (I didn't want to try to remove it because it looks pretty stuck on there, not sure?)
  7. Rear right passenger hook clip won't lock/close 100% of the time
Honestly, it's not too bad and we know that the car will likely get owned by mother nature or us as we drive it but we will try to see if Tesla will try to resolve these issues or not before trying to figure it out ourselves.

The good news is, like many of you, we were able to pick up a car that we have been looking forward to for the longest but I also wanted to share our initial experience thus far versus just venting. I will of course update this thread as we progress through with the after delivery service team.

To those that have read this far, thank you and apologies for the brain dumping, haha. I shared some pictures of the dings for those that are interested.

IMG_6939.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6949.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_6935.jpg
    IMG_6935.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_6933.jpg
    IMG_6933.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_6932.jpg
    IMG_6932.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 775
Mind sharing your checklist?
I used 2, lol

Reactions: xcyber
I picked up my Y last weekend at Vallejo. I accepted the car and well the auto pilot and everything related doesn’t work. I have a ticket within the app. I’ve read the same horror stories and dreading my visit on the 8th. There also was some sticky residue on my car too and some on the back of the head rest. Mainly though my issue is hardware/software that is interfering with the auto pilot stuff.
AP usually has a calibration/learning period at the start. The Autopilot settings page usually shows progress for that. Until thats done no AP features will work.

Wow, I’m sorry your delivery experience was so awful! I took delivery of my MY in October too but didn’t have all the defects you had. I printed a checklist too and use it when I went around the car at the delivery center. It was definitely helpful. Luckily, I only had a few areas where the panels needed to be more flush. I had a small gouge on one of the headlights that they replaced and one of my doors needed adjustments because it was difficult to close. Mine came out of the Austin factory.

I feel your pain. We refused delivery of our MYP a few months back because of a dent in the driver door and chips in the paint. 3 weeks later we took delivery of a new one, which also had some scratches and a bunch of bubbles in the paint around the trunk. It's taken ages to get it to the point where we could get an appointment to get it fix. It involved us taking it to the body shop for them to look over and estimate. There were some smaller issues, like tiny white spots in the paint, that Tesla said they wouldn't even bother fixing. The additional annoyance is that when the car does go in for these repairs, they won't guarantee a loaner car, so you are most likely stuck with Uber credits.
Check to see if any rental places have Teslas ... We are starting to see them advertised

When I got my Model 3 in 2018 first one taillight then the other got condensation in them. Both were quickly replaced.
When I got my Model 3 in 2018 first one taillight then the other got condensation in them. Both were quickly replaced.
Never had problems with the condensation on my 2018 Model 3. Only had 1 tiny extra little bubble of paint on edge of Frunk lid near wipers. Wasn't discovered until the car got wrapped, probably wouldn't have noticed if the wrap guy hadn't pointed it out. Here is hoping my Model Y (projected December 2022) arrives in good condition. I am close enough to our ShowRoom/Service Center I can hop over there if the delivery location is changed. I am sad to trade in my most loved Model 3 but my knees insist I need the Y. 74K miles and loved every mile!!!

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
Never had problems with the condensation on my 2018 Model 3. Only had 1 tiny extra little bubble of paint on edge of Frunk lid near wipers. Wasn't discovered until the car got wrapped, probably wouldn't have noticed if the wrap guy hadn't pointed it out. Here is hoping my Model Y (projected December 2022) arrives in good condition. I am close enough to our ShowRoom/Service Center I can hop over there if the delivery location is changed. I am sad to trade in my most loved Model 3 but my knees insist I need the Y. 74K miles and loved every mile!!!
Only issues I've had have been those two taillights and the signature lights on the headlights both going out. They got replaced as well.

Wow, I’m sorry your delivery experience was so awful! I took delivery of my MY in October too but didn’t have all the defects you had. I printed a checklist too and use it when I went around the car at the delivery center. It was definitely helpful. Luckily, I only had a few areas where the panels needed to be more flush. I had a small gouge on one of the headlights that they replaced and one of my doors needed adjustments because it was difficult to close. Mine came out of the Austin factory.
Was it a home delivery? Sounded like they fixed it right up, right there and then. That’s pretty cool! They had the replacement headlights right there?

Was it a home delivery? Sounded like they fixed it right up, right there and then. That’s pretty cool! They had the replacement headlights right there?
No, I had to take it to one of the local service center and use Uber credits for two days. They did come out for a mobile service visit at my house to replace a loose side camera that they didn’t have time to get to at the service center, but they couldn’t fix it so I have to take it to the service center again in a couple of weeks.

No, I had to take it to one of the local service center and use Uber credits for two days. They did come out for a mobile service visit at my house to replace a loose side camera that they didn’t have time to get to at the service center, but they couldn’t fix it so I have to take it to the service center again in a couple of weeks.
Our appt is on Tuesday. They've been pretty communicative via the text on the app, so let's see. Taking some time off work to help my wife so she's not there dealing with the service crew for the first time.

I'd have to say that condensation in the taillight doesn't look normal, my 2020 Model 3 started getting condensation in one of the tail light and once I submitted a ticket Tesla replaced it promptly.
Thanks for the heads up. I got a pretty good picture of it but since delivery, I've had it sitting in the garage until our appt. so it's been okay. The service department did review and approve of the documented issue on the app but we shall see what happens when we meet with them tomorrow.

Update 11-9

Dropped off the car at the Service Center today. First experience of the SC feels like waiting at an Apple store. They make you drive you car and queue up in a line. They then go over your checklists to confirm all open items for review.

• They will be sending the car to a body shop to get this taken care of
    • They will be sending the car to a body shop to get this taken care of. I also mentioned that the left frunk might be a little bit off so the SA is going to have their guys use some sort of a measuring tool to see if it's within parameters or not. He did say it looked rather good for what it's worth.
    • I actually forgot to point this out during the visit so I had to send them a message after I left. That's my bad. They actually go around putting stickers on the chipped/paint defect areas.
    • They did mark this but said that it's likely best to simply use touch up paint versus removing the door as it'll introduce potential rattling. I agreed.
  5. Condensation on the rear left tail lights
    • They said some condensation is normal as long as there's no pooling. Unfortunately there's 0 condensation as the car have been garaged ever since receipt.
  6. Sticker (?) left on the passenger side pillar (I didn't want to try to remove it because it looks pretty stuck on there, not sure?)
    • It was indeed a sticker and we were able to simply remove it. All good.
    • This was indeed an issue so they will be looking into this.

To add for #3. I’m using their messaging app to try and ping our SA. So far it’s a one way communication and they haven’t replied, lol. I can’t figure out how to actually call into the service center as everything is directing back to the app. Might be a good heads up for folks to take your time when at the service center pointing out issues because getting a hold of the, is pretty hard once you leave. I’ll update to see if anyone replies back.

The estimated turn around time is about 7 days per app and the SA.

They did provided me with a loaner, a model 3. No questions asked, it was just provided, likely because it’s a new car? Not sure but your service may vary. I was expecting uber credits honestly. The loaner does have a speed limiter of 85 but it has free supercharging. It’s also accessible via your app, which is pretty cool. They do give a key card to go alongside it.

Update 11/17: As expected, Tesla is consistent with being wrong with their date estimates. They just texted me that it will be ready sometime next week…no more date and gave me a prompt about how important it is to take their time since body work/paint requires care…

Hey all,
I thought I share my delivery experience of our MY and the current open issues with said car.

We're located in the Bay Area as a reference point. We placed the order through the website, never spoke to an SA until 2-3 days prior to the delivery for finalization of documentation.

We placed our order in the middle of May this year. We experienced the standard ping-pong delivery dates. It went as far as Feb 2023 and as close as July 2022. On 10/31 we received our 2 weeks window. That night/morning (Around 1AM), we received our VIN and a 1 week delivery window. Around 10AM on 11/1, we received a set delivery schedule of 11/3 without any ability to change said date. That night, the delivery method got auto set to home delivery with no option for local pickup. The Fremont plant who was hosting the delivery is only 12 miles away from our home.

Given that I didn't want to use Tesla's financing options, I had 2-3 days to shop and lock a rate in with someone else. That in itself was a race against time, speaking to reps, getting documents over. Literally got the copy of the check sent over to Tesla 1 hour before the set delivery time. Spoiler, they delayed the delivery by 4 hours and we will get to the "why".

Come to delivery time (Today in the afternoon), 2 delivery team members parked the car in front of our house as requested. One was a trainee the other was the "veteran" but have only done 15 or so delivery under his belt. He did say that Tesla is hiring like mad and doing a lot of deliveries. The 2 of them are targeting 15 deliveries per day (Combined). Today, their team was scheduled to do 200 deliveries around the Bay Area.

During the standard exterior inspection using a list I found online, right away my wife spotted 3 dings/scratches. The worse one was actually on the rear trunk area where the performance spoiler would normally be (We got the LR model). The other 2 were located on the frunk hood and the last one being on the lower rear left passenger door. I didn't mind that one but the frunk chip and the rear trunk chip was bothering me.

I asked the delivery team members if this was normal and they said this was the worse chip they've seen and it's definitely not normal. They told me that they submitted a ticket to their manager already and that I should complain and create a ticket. This was also why they were late because they are also the team that helps clean the car and report any issues. Regarding day of delivery issue, the only way to open a ticket is for you to accept the car first...I tried pinging our SA that emailed me and texted me regarding the documentation but she was not responding. Spoke it over to my wife and decided to roll the dice, accept the car and see how it is dealing with Tesla's service center (Not looking forward to it based on what I've read so far, haha)

I also called the main Tesla number and they suggested the same thing. So we are now booked for next week to take car in for service review. We still have 2 other cars to drive around in so we're in no rush but it's unfortunate that the car was dinged up right out of the gate. It's not a lambo or any other exotics, I know, but when you wait for this long, there's some connection based on the unrealistic image that you create throughout said waiting period, lol.

Regarding rejecting deliveries, I honestly don't even know how to go about doing that either. Maybe I am supposed to call and tell them that I wanted to reject it but for a company that relies on their app and/or website, they make it rather hard to review your options. The last step to accept is literally to view, then to click accept. I'm assuming it's in their best interest to NOT make it easy to reject cars, so yah, if you have more patience than I do, maybe you can wait it out.

The rest of the car is alright, the checklist helps a lot so I highly suggest folks that care about this stuff print out a copy and go through it with someone that have good eyes for details. I don't but my wife does, haha.

We found a couple of other issues that we have added to the ticket for our scheduled service next week. So far, the list is below:
Honestly, it's not too bad and we know that the car will likely get owned by mother nature or us as we drive it but we will try to see if Tesla will try to resolve these issues or not before trying to figure it out ourselves.

The good news is, like many of you, we were able to pick up a car that we have been looking forward to for the longest but I also wanted to share our initial experience thus far versus just venting. I will of course update this thread as we progress through with the after delivery service team.

To those that have read this far, thank you and apologies for the brain dumping, haha. I shared some pictures of the dings for those that are interested.

View attachment 870888
Hey all,

View attachment 870888
I ordered MYLR in June and had EDD of Feb’23 but took delivery at Corte Madera on 11/10. Build was not issue and worked with checklist too. No items noted for correction. After one week of ownership I noted lack of anchoring points to secure cargo. Hey @elonmusk this should be standard feature for safety of passengers. Now I need to figure way to tie down my load to prevent it from hurling toward passenger section of vehicle. Has anyone figured a workaround for this?

Reactions: Bikeman
I ordered MYLR in June and had EDD of Feb’23 but took delivery at Corte Madera on 11/10. Build was not issue and worked with checklist too. No items noted for correction. After one week of ownership I noted lack of anchoring points to secure cargo. Hey @elonmusk this should be standard feature for safety of passengers. Now I need to figure way to tie down my load to prevent it from hurling toward passenger section of vehicle. Has anyone figured a workaround for this?
I would contact the service department for them to review and advise. Do it through the app.

Update 11/17: As expected, Tesla is consistent with being wrong with their date estimates. They just texted me that it will be ready sometime next week…no more date and gave me a prompt about how important it is to take their time since body work/paint requires care…
Hello

I supposed you already got your car back by now (11/26) - how long has it been in the body shop? Are you satisfied with the body shop fix?

I was at the Fermont service center on Nov 16th and they fixed a few minor problems (minor gap, two small areas of scratches) on spot. There are 3 more issues (minor) with my delivery and the service guy told me they need to send my new Y to a local body shop for possibly 5-7 days. The defects are kinda minor, and only noticeable if you look really close - there is one paint chip on the front hood and two paint 'dots' (the guy says likely caused by dust during the paint job) on the front bumper and side panel respectively.

I prefer to keep my car for Thanksgiving so the agent helped and made another appointment to fix these paint issues next week in Sunnyvale (closer for me), so I'm thinking about if I shall pursue having these fixed or not. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5191.jpg
    IMG_5191.jpg
    744.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5193.jpg
    IMG_5193.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5194.jpg
    IMG_5194.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 61
Hello

I supposed you already got your car back by now (11/26) - how long has it been in the body shop? Are you satisfied with the body shop fix?

I was at the Fermont service center on Nov 16th and they fixed a few minor problems (minor gap, two small areas of scratches) on spot. There are 3 more issues (minor) with my delivery and the service guy told me they need to send my new Y to a local body shop for possibly 5-7 days. The defects are kinda minor, and only noticeable if you look really close - there is one paint chip on the front hood and two paint 'dots' (the guy says likely caused by dust during the paint job) on the front bumper and side panel respectively.

I prefer to keep my car for Thanksgiving so the agent helped and made another appointment to fix these paint issues next week in Sunnyvale (closer for me), so I'm thinking about if I shall pursue having these fixed or not. Thoughts?

Thanks!
I want to say that I have the car back but they are not done with it. Eta is the 28th…I dropped it off back on the 9th. Combination of backlogged body shop queue and holidays it seems.

Based on those pictures, I would fix it. You have the opportunity now but if you pass on it, you won’t and you might regret it. Really depends on your tolerance level tho.