Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 288mi Max Range [Incorrect or misunderstanding]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate lumping any group of people together and applying subjective feelings to them, but with that being said, tesla salespeople are not much different than any other car salespeople. In general, people selling cars know less than the people buying said car, and thats still the case.

I am still holding out hope that this is telephone game, and they told this OPs friend that "you have a different battery" and the OPs friend assumed "different" ment LFE. I dont think the LFE batteries put out enough power in that form factor to be used in a performance model Y or 3.

If tesla actually is putting LFE batteries in the perfomance variants that would be huge news (but I dont think this is true). I said what I think this is, that they are using the 77kW batteries in some cars vs the 82kW batteries, but in most of these reported cases they have told the people (and offered a discount).

There is something missing in this story, but since its "OPs friend" and not OP themselves, its also possible the OPs friend glossed over the fact that they got a discount for buying that version of the model YP.

Tesla being tesla, its also possible that they didnt.

None of us were there for the discussion, so we dont know what was said, but I feel comfortable saying that there is no way that is actually a LFE battery in that car no matter what the OPs friend was told. It is the same battery that was in the 2020 Model Y perforamance.

I am not trying to say that the new MYP's are getting LFE packs, I don't even think they are using the 77 kWh packs... I think it is a BMS calibration issue.

What I am saying, is that the SA most likely doesn't know what LFE means... just like the person who sold me a 3000GT VR4 back in the day told me that the turbo's recirculated exhaust gas to the intake manifold. Like you said, car sales people don't know anything about the cars they sell. If the guy (friend of the OP) talked to someone at Tesla after taking delivery, they literally DON'T CARE, and will say anything to get you off the phone so they can get a potential new customer on the phone. My SA didn't know the size of the battery in the MYP, and that is BY DESIGN... Tesla no longer gives out battery pack size information... so how would the SA the friend of the OP talked to know anything about the chemistry of the pack when they don't even know the capacity of the pack? But explaining that to the OP's friend takes a lot more time than saying "it's different" and hanging up on him.

Keith

This is FUD and OP is posting it in multiple threads! With the model 3 SR+, Tesla sent out letters to all customers, and it was widely and transparently reported on. ZERO evidence on this claim; just “I heard it from a friend….”

@TripleA I would suggest you stop spreading this FUD, unless you have tangible evidence that this is happening.
I was posting in related threads, not trying to spread any rumors. I am simply relaying a message received directly from Tesla. I own a Tesla, why would I bash on them? I figured this is a community where we can share ideas and messages. I am simply trying to help here... I figured that what they said is a bold claim, so I understand the backlash, but dont slay the friendly messenger :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and jebinc
"OPs friend" is a very reliable source, whatever thats worth. They specifically told him its a "new" battery being used. They also mentioned that he can charge his battery to 100% daily rather than charging to daily drive limits, which is in line with how LFE batteries work (as reported on the M3SR+ (Ha! I said it again). Thus, being that he has a slightly lower range and based on the conversation he had I believe its safe to assume they used an LFE. If not, and its the older battery, thats complete BS and I cant imagine why they would do that on a new delivery.

Let's all take a deep breath.

Please post a picture of the charging screen in your friend's car. Does it list DAILY and TRIP in the area where you set the battery charging limit?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I was posting in related threads, not trying to spread any rumors. I am simply relaying a message received directly from Tesla. I own a Tesla, why would I bash on them? I figured this is a community where we can share ideas and messages. I am simply trying to help here... I figured that what they said is a bold claim, so I understand the backlash, but dont slay the friendly messenger :rolleyes:

@TripleA You didn’t receive this message from Tesla. You are spreading something someone else claims Tesla said (repeatedly), but can’t be proved. Just knock it off already. You got other member opinions here and elsewhere. Reported to Mods.

No.

You didn't receive any information at all directly from Tesla.

A friend of yours who for some reason isn't on this forum supposedly got information directly from Tesla.

My source at Tesla says your friend got a 100 kWh pack with the new fat cells.

There, now you have information "directly from Tesla" that is just as accurate as the information from your friend!

Keith

• Love
No.

You didn't receive any information at all directly from Tesla.

A friend of yours who for some reason isn't on this forum supposedly got information directly from Tesla.

My source at Tesla says your friend got a 100 kWh pack with the new fat cells.

There, now you have information "directly from Tesla" that is just as accurate as the information from your friend!

Keith
I asked the mods to shut this FUDster down. We can do our part by no longer responding to this claim or debating it with this “friendly messenger;” whose questions have been “asked and answered” in multiple places.

I'm speechless. I'm not spreading anything but what I heard. No, I can't prove it and apparently we can't share info on this forum. I provided as much evidence as I had and you still accuse me of spreading false rumors. Frankly this has been a big waste of my time and not at all what I expected for sharing info. I get it, I'm claiming someone elses word, how else should I say the story? I gave you facts from my side, you dont have to make claims against me because you dont agree.

I attached a photo on my original post

I saw that. It's a photo from his app. I requested a photo from his car so that we can see whether or not his charge limit screen shows the DAILY and TRIP labels, which are an indicator of what type of battery the vehicle has. The reason I ask about this is because you mentioned something about it being okay to charge to 100%.

For the record, I don't think you're intentionally spreading FUD. I think the person at Tesla provided your friend with bad information. That person was conflating your friend's inquiry with the recently introduced 253 vs 262 mile discrepancy between the two packs available in the SR+ (LiFePO4 or LFP vs NCA). The 288 miles displayed in your friend's Tesla app is an estimate of battery capacity. That estimate is known to drift down in some conditions, which may or may not apply to your friend's car. BMS retraining over the course of a couple of weeks should boost that up if it's just an error in the system's calculation.

Last edited:
I attached a photo on my original post
You cannot tell battery pack size from the charging screen. The best way to tell is with a tool that links into the car's OBD (if that's what it's called on a Tesla) port, or your friend can go into Dynomode to look. See the thread '82kWh Battery Pack' for details. There are a million reasons why his maximum charge may be 'only' 288 miles. One of them is NOT a different battery pack from every other Model Y built to date, regardless of what he was allegedly told. Tell him to do a little more research here or elsewhere. It's too tiresome to go into it here when there are about 97 other threads where people complain about range. Tell him to switch to % instead of miles and enjoy the car.

I asked the mods to shut this FUDster down. We can do our part by no longer responding to this claim or debating it with this “friendly messenger;” whose questions have been “asked and answered” in multiple places.

I am not a mod for the model Y subform, so I dont know how the mod for this subform will feel / respond to your request here. I can give my own perspective however, on my thoughts on this, and what I might do if this thread was in the model 3 section and reported to me.

Keep in mind that my responses in this thread have all been as "me, jjrandorin the regular member", vs "jjrandorin the moderator".

Putting on the mod hat for a minute...

========================================
There are plenty of times on TMC when someone shares information, and that information ends up being either misconstrued, or wrong. In most cases, these are innocent mistakes, and not something we want to "punish" people for posting content, even if it ends up not being correct.

Communities such as this one are built around sharing information and ideas, and "healthy" discussion / debate. Unless someone is obviously trolling / trying to get a rise out of people, or breaking forum rules by attacking others, etc, I dont tend to move or shut down posts because the information might be incorrect. Not everyone posting something incorrect is attempting to "spread FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt)".

I didnt get that from this OPs thread here, but admittedly am not reviewing what other threads this might be communicated in. There is a small chance that this is breaking news (although I personally dont think so, as I have said), but dont feel like the appropriate course of action is to shut down the thread.

The appropriate course of action would be to state why we disagree, and let the OP make their own conclusions from that.

All this is with my "moderator hat" on, even though I am not a mod for this specific section. Its up to the mod for this section to make a decision.

As a regular poster, I dont have an issue with someone being mis informed or posting something they believe to be true, but I personally am not a huge fan of "I know a guy who knows a guy who said XXX" which is what this is, especially when it comes to some technical information being stated as if its fact. This is why I responded to this thread in the first place, but as a regular user.

OP, even if tesla told your friend its a LFE battery in their performance model Y, its almost assuredly not the case. If your friend got the older 77kW battery, everyone else who has gotten that battery (NOT LFE battery btw), has posted that they were offered a discount for taking it. I have seen that on several threads. Perhaps your friend didnt get offered the discount, or perhaps they did and didnt tell you.

In either case, however, as I have repeatedly said, I dont think its technically possible to get the amount of energy needed for a performance model Y acceleration etc in a form factor that fits in a model Y or 3 current battery pack. This is why the SR+ has lower rated range, when people take the LFE model.

I am not a mod for the model Y subform, so I dont know how the mod for this subform will feel / respond to your request here. I can give my own perspective however, on my thoughts on this, and what I might do if this thread was in the model 3 section and reported to me.

Keep in mind that my responses in this thread have all been as "me, jjrandorin the regular member", vs "jjrandorin the moderator".

Putting on the mod hat for a minute...

There are plenty of times on TMC when someone shares information, and that information ends up being either misconstrued, or wrong. In most cases, these are innocent mistakes, and not something we want to "punish" people for posting content, even if it ends up not being correct.

Communities such as this one are built around sharing information and ideas, and "healthy" discussion / debate. Unless someone is obviously trolling / trying to get a rise out of people, or breaking forum rules by attacking others, etc, I dont tend to move or shut down posts because the information might be incorrect. Not everyone posting something incorrect is attempting to "spread FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt)".

I didnt get that from this OPs thread here, but admittedly am not reviewing what other threads this might be communicated in. There is a small chance that this is breaking news (although I personally dont think so, as I have said), but dont feel like the appropriate course of action is to shut down the thread.

The appropriate course of action would be to state why we disagree, and let the OP make their own conclusions from that.

All this is with my "moderator hat" on, even though I am not a mod for this specific section. Its up to the mod for this section to make a decision.

As a regular poster, I dont have an issue with someone being mis informed or posting something they believe to be true, but I personally am not a huge fan of "I know a guy who knows a guy who said XXX" which is what this is, especially when it comes to some technical information being stated as if its fact. This is why I responded to this thread in the first place, but as a regular user.

OP, even if tesla told your friend its a LFE battery in their performance model Y, its almost assuredly not the case. If your friend got the older 77kW battery, everyone else who has gotten that battery (NOT LFE battery btw), has posted that they were offered a discount for taking it. I have seen that on several threads. Perhaps your friend didnt get offered the discount, or perhaps they did and didnt tell you.

In either case, however, as I have repeatedly said, I dont think its technically possible to get the amount of energy needed for a performance model Y acceleration etc in a form factor that fits in a model Y or 3 current battery pack. This is why the SR+ has lower rated range, when people take the LFE model.
Thanks for not attacking me. You hit it on the head, and yes it looks suspect becuase its a "friend". Well, that's the case, what else could i say...My friend did make a service appointment to clear up the issue and I will report back withe evidence for the court here. Otherwise, y'all can consider me banned and I wont be sharing anything else on this forum which frankly turned very defensive and singled me out as a troll when in fact im not. I hope the moderators can moderate false accusations as well.

Thanks for not attacking me. You hit it on the head, and yes it looks suspect becuase its a "friend". Well, that's the case, what else could i say...My friend did make a service appointment to clear up the issue and I will report back withe evidence for the court here. Otherwise, y'all can consider me banned and I wont be sharing anything else on this forum which frankly turned very defensive and singled me out as a troll when in fact im not. I hope the moderators can moderate false accusations as well.
@TripleA I don't think anyone called you a troll, nor do I think you "heard from Tesla," as stated above... I did report this to the moderators to make a call. In the 3+ years I've been here, I think this was my first "reported" thread. Also, you send me a PM and I replied, professionally (below). Yet, never heard back from you. The facts are as they appear to be...

"Hello. As I mentioned, nothing wrong with posting something you heard to see if others may have heard the same, etc. Nothing wrong with cross-posting either. I take issue with you continuing to push the matter, without any proof, and after getting viable explanations from many TMC members that have a lot more posting history on TMC than you have. Nothing more. The mods will evaluate your posts, and threads, to see if it could be possible troll activity (not for me to say). This was a huge issue on Tesla's unmoderated forum and they eventually shut it down - the whole forum! Hope that helps."

jjrandorin

Last edited:
  • Love
@TripleA I don't think anyone called you a troll, nor do I think you "heard from Tesla," as stated above... I did report this to the moderators to make a call. In the 3+ years I've been here, I think this was my first "reported" thread. Also, you send me a PM and I replied, professionally (below). Yet, never heard back from you. The facts are as they appear to be.

"Hello. As I mentioned, nothing wrong with posting something you heard to see if others may have heard the same, etc. Nothing wrong with cross-posting either. I take issue with you continuing to push the matter, without any proof, and after getting viable explanations from many TMC members that have a lot more posting history on TMC than you have. Nothing more. The mods will evaluate your posts, and threads, to see if it could be possible troll activity (not for me to say). This was a huge issue on Tesla's unmoderated forum and they eventually shut it down - the whole forum! Hope that helps."
You keep claiming that you dont believe "I heard from Tesla". Thats up to you, but that doesnt mean its not true, carry on...

@TripleA You also said your had a friend who heard from Tesla; not the same thing..... Again, your posts (and mine) speak for themselves.
Yes, my friend who heard from Tesla. Thats what my original post said. You are making such a big deal about the facts here. Like I said, What he was told could be wrong, but scrutinizing me based on your opinion seems hypocrtical.

*UPDATE* My good ol buddy ol pal "Friend" spoke to someone else at Tesla and was told that it should be the same Performance battery as all other vehicles, and that the charge should update over time. Wow, look at me spewing more FUD. Anyway, moderators should lock this thread and we can all move on with our lives. Let me guess....the timing is suspicious now. I guess you have to take my word for it.

Yes, my friend who heard from Tesla. Thats what my original post said. You are making such a big deal about the facts here. Like I said, What he was told could be wrong, but scrutinizing me based on your opinion seems hypocrtical.

*UPDATE* My good ol buddy ol pal "Friend" spoke to someone else at Tesla and was told that it should be the same Performance battery as all other vehicles, and that the charge should update over time. Wow, look at me spewing more FUD. Anyway, moderators should lock this thread and we can all move on with our lives. Let me guess....the timing is suspicious now. I guess you have to take my word for it.

I'm glad they cleared that up for him.

If you want a mod to lock the thread, you would need to report your first post and request it with a statement as to why you want it locked. As I mentioned I am not a mod for this section (so in fact I "cant" do it because I dont have admin rights in this subforum).

I hope this second employee is correct as well, and its not what I thought in the beginning (that this OPs car has the 77kW battery instead of the 82kW battery). in any case, thanks for coming back and posting the additional information you found out.

Many people dont do that, especially in this type of case.

Reactions: jebinc and TripleA

@TripleA Yep, and many here told you that was likely the issue, yet you persisted with your original notion - in multiple threads. Best of luck to you and "your friend".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.