Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Delivery Still With Summer Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading several threads I was convinced my MYP delivered today with a build date just last week would be delivered with the all season tires but it still has the P Zero tires. I’m super bummed as I live near Tahoe and can’t do summer tires. Anything I can do to get Tesla to swap them out for the all seasons that I thought would be on all the new builds?

Congrats on the new ride -

While I don't think there is anything you can do, it seems like Tesla will use what they have on hand until those items are gone.

Few thoughts:
  1. You could reject your delivery (if you have not already taken delivery) - But not sure if that is an option for you, nor if that will 'work'
  2. Find someone that is selling their rim/tires and swap them out, or get some aftermarket rim then get some Snow Tires set and swap them out each season
    1. https://shop.tesla.com/category/vehicle-accessories/model-y#model-y.wheels-and-tires
  3. Do donuts with your tires then get some new ones :)

I am not helpful :)

• Funny
Reactions: Daekwan
After reading several threads I was convinced my MYP delivered today with a build date just last week would be delivered with the all season tires but it still has the P Zero tires. I’m super bummed as I live near Tahoe and can’t do summer tires. Anything I can do to get Tesla to swap them out for the all seasons that I thought would be on all the new builds?
Did you at least get the Ryzen CPU and Li-Ion 12V battery? I guess perhaps take this as an opportunity to get a set of winter wheels so you can change up the looks of your car once a year. I'm enjoying having a different look in the winter in addition to having winter-specific tires.

Reactions: MJP.P3D-
Did you at least get the Ryzen CPU and Li-Ion 12V battery? I guess perhaps take this as an opportunity to get a set of winter wheels so you can change up the looks of your car once a year. I'm enjoying having a different look in the winter in addition to having winter-specific tires.
Yes to Ryzen. Haven’t looked to see about the battery yet. Honestly haven’t searched to see how I can even tell.

Same here SA confirmed summer tires, I guess they don’t care about location as I’m in northern Virginia where it goes sometimes below 32F winter time

2022 MYP East Coast delivered 2/23/22. I received AS. It may depend on what coast your on. Regarding ride. I found the ride a bit stiff when I first picked up. But 2 weeks later, no complaints. Coming from a Infiniti M45X with non-sport suspension. Wife is accustomed to large Ford boat hasn't complained.

Same here SA confirmed summer tires, I guess they don’t care about location as I’m in northern Virginia where it goes sometimes below 32F winter time
I think they do care about location. I am in New England and received All Season tires. Being in Virginia it would make sense that you would get summer tires since that is what would make sense for 95%+ of your driving.

I think they do care about location. I am in New England and received All Season tires. Being in Virginia it would make sense that you would get summer tires since that is what would make sense for 95%+ of your driving.
Huh? It regularly gets below 40 degrees in the winter in VA, which is generally considered the lower threshold for safe use of summer tires. So really, VA should have all-seasons. But I suspect it's more a questions of, 'Hey, Bill, watcha got for MYP tires over there right now?'...

Huh? It regularly gets below 40 degrees in the winter in VA, which is generally considered the lower threshold for safe use of summer tires. So really, VA should have all-seasons. But I suspect it's more a questions of, 'Hey, Bill, watcha got for MYP tires over there right now?'...

The Model Y Performance version was supposed be a performance car, so like the Z06 Corvette, it came with summer only performance tires. Made perfect sense. Since everyone started buying the MYP because they couldn't wait half a year for LR, ther MYP has became more of a mainstream compact SUV so they started moving to Michelin A/S, a perfectly good tire that offers Uberturbines some protection with an extra few mm's of tire overhang, lasts longer, and gives adequate performance. The problem is they need to use up the pile of P-Zeros first, the region distribution isn't perfect.

Yes, I'm a glass half full guy, so I see it as some are lucky to get the Michelins, and some are lucky to get Ryzen -- not that the others are unlucky.

I completely understand what you are saying. They get snow in Texas too sometimes. However, in VA you have 9 months of the year where you average at least ~60 degrees. Even the other 3 months, they average at least 45 degrees. While you do in fact have some colder days, those are far outweighed by the much warmer days, unlike many northern states. So I am not saying I disagree that all-season tires wouldn't be useful at times. I think that the vast majority of the time you would get better use out of summer tires and enjoy the performance benefits of this. I am actually jealous that you got the summer tires.

Also, there is no perfect scenario. Up north I take off the all-season tires to put winter tires on for 3-4 months a year.

Reactions: tdeno
Congrats on the new ride -

While I don't think there is anything you can do, it seems like Tesla will use what they have on hand until those items are gone.

Few thoughts:
  1. You could reject your delivery (if you have not already taken delivery) - But not sure if that is an option for you, nor if that will 'work'
  2. Find someone that is selling their rim/tires and swap them out, or get some aftermarket rim then get some Snow Tires set and swap them out each season
    1. https://shop.tesla.com/category/vehicle-accessories/model-y#model-y.wheels-and-tires
  3. Do donuts with your tires then get some new ones :)

I am not helpful :)
"Do donuts with your tires then get some new ones"
Reminded me of this Ken Block video from a few years ago:
Skip to time 5:55 for the donuts...

I have the same problem with the exception that I live in Minnesota. I was told that the tires that arrive on your car depend on the "time of year" for the delivery: summer deliveries get summer tires (like mine that was delivered June 2022) and winter deliveries get all-season tires, maybe. That is really absurd. I am trying to locate someone at Tesla to discuss this further. Stay tuned.... film at 11.

I was told that the tires that arrive on your car depend on the "time of year"
Total B/S. It's random. Stupid that you can't choose. I picked up a flawless MYP last week with Michelin A/S. Just luck of the draw. These are essential in the NW if you want to drive safely more than four moths out of the year and not have to have another set of tires. If I lived in Arizona I would have wanted the Pirellis.

Total B/S. It's random. Stupid that you can't choose. I picked up a flawless MYP last week with Michelin A/S. Just luck of the draw. These are essential in the NW if you want to drive safely more than four moths out of the year and not have to have another set of tires. If I lived in Arizona I would have wanted the Pirellis.
Totally agreed. If anything the service center should stock wheels/tires already mounted for this exact purpose. Makes even more sense when you consider they sell a winter wheel/tire package!