Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP driving in the sand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering how the MYP does in the sand? I'd like to drive it to a house in outer banks NC that requires a few miles of beach. There are tons of cars on this beach, though mostly pickups, jeeps and the occasional CUV or Subaru.
I found some successes, and some fails on YouTube. Does anyone have first hand experience? The car is very heavy and low-profile tires may not be able to air-down as well. Obviously this isn't ideal but it's not for recreation. I just need to get to the beach house and it will be a big expense/hassle if I can't take my (only) car. I'd have friends close by and able to tow me out if I get stuck, so if theres a decent degree of do-ability, I'll probably yolo it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar
I've spent many springtime weeks in Avon and watched far too many cars requiring rescuing. Unless you've swapped your wheels for the new 18" TSportline wheels (with the offroad tire package), I wouldn't chance it.

Our '22 MYP has those 18s, but with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires. There's no way I'd head out on the beach...

All that aside: if you do chance it... I'd kinda love to see pics.

I’ve seen one on the sand in St Augustine Beach FL. Looking back at my pic, it had Inductions. He got stuck twice but was able to dig himself out, until he disappeared from my view. I’m not sure I’d do it with my car and I definitely wouldn’t try it with a MYP with the standard tires.

32782992-8698219-image-a-13_1599236044586.jpg

beemer.jpg

No-17.jpg

3bc0810b-bmw-x3-poland-2.jpg

With your friends close by with recovery kit and suitable vehicles, the only problem you have is really the wheel and tyre combo. Short of running semi slick track tyres, It's just about as far as you could get from the right setup for sand. On those your friends will probably have to drag you most of the way.

Get the 18" setup with some decently aggressive tyres though and you'll be golden as long as you're sensible with tide timings (if that's a consideration for that area). Don't forget slip-start and off road assist.

• Disagree
Reactions: RNHurt and Liquidv
Check the tides. If you really have to travel a few miles on the sand, I’m guessing an hour trip time….?

Timing the tides is your best bet. Ideal time is the couple hours before low tide. You want the tide going out. That will give you the most amount of hard pack sand to drive on. If the tide is coming in you’ll have less hard pack sand.

Momentum is your friend. If there is traffic, leave plenty of space so you can always keep your momentum. Avoid sharp turns, especially at slow speeds. Easy on the go pedal at slow speeds, use off road assist the entire time, and slip start if necessary. Do not bury your tires if it seems like your stuck. If it seems like your about to be stuck, try the back and forth technique. Back up, go forward, back up, go forward while trying to rock the car out of the soft spot. If you are trying to climb an incline (a very small incline on sand can make a big difference) and you’re about to get stuck, do not floor it and bury your tires. Back up and give yourself some runway, try again with a little extra momentum.

If you have some off road experience you’ll most likely be fine. Just need to be in tune with your car, it’s traction and momentum. And really timing your trek a couple hours before low tide.

Edit: take some pictures and let us know how it goes!

I took my X5M to Pismo. It has Michelin Pilot Super Sports on 21” wheels 285/325 tires.
Anyway the Model Y P should be fine.
You don’t want a beefy rugged tire for sand, as it actually worse than a smooth summer tire.
The reason those M/T tires dig up the sand from underneath thus getting stuck where the summer tires ride on top of the sand. That’s way those guys have to air down because it gives a wider contact patch.

I didn’t air down and I drove through the fluffy stuff too. Never saw any traction control intervention. I imagine the Tesla would be superior with its individual motors.

Attachments

• E46E96AE-1CF0-49C3-86C5-0A8EEA5E9AC7.jpeg
    E46E96AE-1CF0-49C3-86C5-0A8EEA5E9AC7.jpeg
    636 KB · Views: 178
I've ridden Pismo and Oregon coast beaches on the wet pack sand to a little softer w/20" Inductions; but venture too much and down you go in quick sand. It's hella fun, stares, smirks and smiles. Overland TSportline package and 6"Airsuspension would be ideal fat wide tires is ideal for sand, as stated previously you need not dig in the sand with mud/snow tires.