Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP - Initial Impressions (vs '20 MYLR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OD: 3/9 MYP
EDD: 6/3-6/17 (as of early May)
Assigned VIN: 5/25 (F440)
Picked up: 5/28

Delivery: Seemless transaction. Was in and out in 15 minutes, of which 2 minutes was finding and using the restroom. Keep in mind this is my 2nd MY. First was 2020 MYLR (one of the 1st 1,500 VINs).

Built quality: Unlike the 1st one, build quality was pretty damn solid. Car was a bit dirty (even though they said they "detailed" it), but I didn't really find any issues that'll warrant a SC appt. I might spend more time tomorrow, but pretty surprised so far.

New stuff: It's got everything I was hoping for. 12V lithium ion battery, AMD Ryzen chip, hepa filter / bio-defense mode, and dual-paned windows (front only). It did also come with heated wipers, but I didn't care too much about that since I'm in SoCal. One of my worries was whether I was going to get the summer or all-season tires. Luckily, I did get the Michelin AS tires. Ironically, when I was inspecting the car, I had 2 separate owners come up to me and ask how I got the AS tires. Apparently they also ordered their MYP in March, but they both got the summer tires and were kinda bummed about it. So yah, I got pretty lucky.

Drive: I've only driven like 30-40 miles so far, but I've pretty impressed. You can definitely feel a difference between LR and P in terms of acceleration. Don't get me wrong, the LR was plenty powerful already, but the P is unnecessarily fast. :) Also, when I initially ordered the P, I was tentative and read a few articles about the rougher ride with the P. Well, no concerns one bit. It's pretty much the same, maybe even slightly better than my original LR. The factory tire pressure was all set to 42 psi, so 1st thing I did was lower that to 39 psi when I brought her home.

Overall: Maybe it's all in my head, but I feel like the '22 version is just more solid vs the '20 version. I'm really surprised about the improved build quality. Now is it like an European car? No. But I knew that already. Again, I've only driven this for 30-40 miles today, but it's definitely an upgrade from my first MY.

Hope that helps.

29EF71F7-88E1-4439-9886-60AEB2565EA7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My son picked up his Grey, Model 3 Performance on the same day as you, yesterday!

He also went with the white interior.

He's thrilled, although there are a few, minor issues which he's reported, and he'll have to bring his Model 3 in to Tesla to have addressed.

Car is stupid fast! I have the performance Model Y, and THAT is ridiculously fast, and the 3 actually feels faster! They're both faster then anyone honestly needs, but hitting the accelerator from a stop never gets tired! Brings a smile to both of our faces.... every time!

Congrats and enjoy!

Reactions: IWRBR

Delivery: Seemless transaction. Was in and out in 15 minutes, of which 2 minutes was finding and using the restroom. Keep in mind this is my 2nd MY. First was 2020 MYLR (one of the 1st 1,500 VINs).

Built quality: Unlike the 1st one, build quality was pretty damn solid. Car was a bit dirty (even though they said they "detailed" it), but I didn't really find any issues that'll warrant a SC appt. I might spend more time tomorrow, but pretty surprised so far.

New stuff: It's got everything I was hoping for. 12V lithium ion battery, AMD Ryzen chip, hepa filter / bio-defense mode, and dual-paned windows (front only). It did also come with heated wipers, but I didn't care too much about that since I'm in SoCal. One of my worries was whether I was going to get the summer or all-season tires. Luckily, I did get the Michelin AS tires. Ironically, when I was inspecting the car, I had 2 separate owners come up to me and ask how I got the AS tires. Apparently they also ordered their MYP in March, but they both got the summer tires and were kinda bummed about it. So yah, I got pretty lucky.

Drive: I've only driven like 30-40 miles so far, but I've pretty impressed. You can definitely feed a difference between LR and P in terms of acceleration. Don't get me wrong, the LR was plenty powerful already, but the P is unnecessarily fast. :) Also, when I initially ordered the P, I was tentative and read a few articles about the rougher ride with the P. Well, no concerns one bit. It's pretty much the same, maybe even slightly better than my original LR. The factory tire pressure was all set to 42 psi, so 1st thing I did was lower that to 39 psi when I brought her home.

Overall: Maybe it's all in my head, but I feel like the '22 version is just more solid vs the '20 version. I'm really surprised about the improved build quality. Now is it like an European car? No. But I knew that already. Again, I've only driven this for 30-40 miles today, but it's definitely an upgrade from my first MY.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 810236
Nice. Do you like the grey - was considering for my M3 order but went w white - like the red but refuse to pay the xtra - ag

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Excellent and thank you for providing your initial perspective and assessment. Looking forward to additional insight and pics as you continue to get familiar with your ‘22 MYP. BTW, the comparison between your ‘20 MYLR and ‘22 MYP is much appreciated :cool:.

Production date is not so relevant, it goes in sequential order so we know the timing it was built. Just curious why VIN assignment was out of order - I’ll try asking but not expecting any real answer

i wouldn't put too much thought into VIN assignment ordering. Tesla obviously makes cars in batches of thousands of vehicles and ships them to different locations of the country. Logistics and shipment times can take awhile, so it totally makes sense a guy in California 5 hours away from the factory gets a "newer" VIN than a guy on the east coast, who probably gets a car that was made a month ago. Just enjoy your car when you get it and dont worry about why some guy got a VIN number far off from yours. i mean who cares, the cars will be speced the same.

How accurate are they for the delivery window, I don't have the VIN released yet but know that my delivery should take place between June 9th and June 30th. Should I assume its end of month or somewhere in the middle?
I don't think anyone really knows the accuracy of delivery windows. My delivery window was 6/13-6/17 and I picked up the car yesterday. I think it's a combination of delivery location, EOQ push, what cars Fremont is making, how many folks are delaying delivery, etc.
I'm no expert nor do I pretend to be one, but that would be my best guess based on what I've observed.

Reactions: quetivity
So as a quick follow-up to my original post, I drove another 135 miles today (combination of local and freeway)....ran a few errands, took my kids to some play dates, etc....typical everyday weekend stuff.

In my old LR, I averaged 309 Wh/mi. Today, I averaged 336 Wh/mi. Worth noting I did gun it 6-7 times after a red light to scare my wife and kids. :) On the freeways, I was averaging around 70-75 mph. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the efficiency.

What I was most surprised with all the driving today was the ride quality on the 21" ubers. It was actually better than my '20 MY with inductions. I even asked my wife her thoughts on ride quality, and she said the '22 P was better.

i know it's only day 2 with my new ride, but very happy with it. Solid build quality, better-than-expected efficiency, and definitely more quiet with the dual-plane windows.

It was definitely worth the wait. Hang in there fellas....

So as a quick follow-up to my original post, I drove another 135 miles today (combination of local and freeway)....ran a few errands, took my kids to some play dates, etc....typical everyday weekend stuff.

In my old LR, I averaged 309 Wh/mi. Today, I averaged 336 Wh/mi. Worth noting I did gun it 6-7 times after a red light to scare my wife and kids. :) On the freeways, I was averaging around 70-75 mph. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the efficiency.

What I was most surprised with all the driving today was the ride quality on the 21" ubers. It was actually better than my '20 MY with inductions. I even asked my wife her thoughts on ride quality, and she said the '22 P was better.

i know it's only day 2 with my new ride, but very happy with it. Solid build quality, better-than-expected efficiency, and definitely more quiet with the dual-plane windows.

It was definitely worth the wait. Hang in there fellas....

Some pics…..
Quick question for you, I have a MYP on order (3/17) with the same deliver window as you, June 2nd - June 30th. I received the trade in emails/texts last week. How long after that did you receive your VIN or two week window?

Quick question for you, I have a MYP on order (3/17) with the same deliver window as you, June 2nd - June 30th. I received the trade in emails/texts last week. How long after that did you receive your VIN or two week window?

from my experience, the trade-in emails/texts are kinda meaningless and aren't a good indication of when you'll receive your VIN. (i was asked about trade-in back in late march, then again last week AFTER i got my VIN). i think the biggest clue is the shortening of the EDD. my EDD was 30 days, then went to to 2 weeks for a good month. i was expecting that to get shortened down to 1 week, but surprisingly i got the phone call from the mothership that a VIN had been assigned to me. i did ask if it was a reject vehicle, and he said no, it was built earlier in the month and still in fremont awaiting a truck to pick her up.

sorry that somewhat helps.

Drive: I've only driven like 30-40 miles so far, but I've pretty impressed. You can definitely feel a difference between LR and P in terms of acceleration. Don't get me wrong, the LR was plenty powerful already, but the P is unnecessarily fast. :) Also, when I initially ordered the P, I was tentative and read a few articles about the rougher ride with the P. Well, no concerns one bit. It's pretty much the same, maybe even slightly better than my original LR. The factory tire pressure was all set to 42 psi, so 1st thing I did was lower that to 39 psi when I brought her home.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 810236
Looks awesome! Getting my first MYP in July-Sept window. So glad to hear you feel like they've made improvements to quality. Also glad to hear ride quality is not that different than the LR. I was worried about that.

We ordered our YP (Blue/Black, Tow hitch) on 3/31,, original date was 6/7-7/3,, it then got pushed to 6/18-7/14,, then on Thursday was pushed to 7/26-8/12.

Friday, we received a text that we are ready to schedule delivery (Didn’t have a VIN before then, so assuming it was a cancellation). Picked up the car today with a 438 VIN, and they said the build date was 5/9. Have it sitting side by side with my ”Covid Nightmare” 2020 3 LR (Seriously, it was made 3/14/2020 and then sat for a month and a half at the factory), and comparing the two for fit/finish and just overall quality is like comparing the Y to my former Lexus, and the 3 to a Chevy Sonic.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 810236
Nice write up! Enjoy!!

My 2022 MYLR also feels pretty solid. The only very minor thing that I made a mobile appoint for was that the driver's door was sticking out about 1-2 mm more than it should when closed. The service guy spent 10 seconds to adjust the striker latch and now it's perfect. I suspect that Tesla has seriously improved their build quality since the first batch in 2020.

Super helpful, thank you for posting this. Picking up my car in a week or so and I was searching the Internet trying to figure out if I’m going to get any of the new upgrades that are supposed to be coming out of Gigafactory Austin. I was hoping for one of those cars, but that’s not going to be the case. My VIN was assigned yesterday, F452. I’m in Dallas, Texas.

OD: 3/8 for MYP (yours was 3/9 for)
EDD: 6/8-13 (yours was 6/3-6/17)
Assigned VIN: 5/28 with F452 (yours was 5/25 with F440)
Picked up: TBD (yours was 5/28)

Hope that helps.

View attachment 810236
I picked up my 2022 MYP at the end of March (same colour) and agree with everything you write. I still have my 2020 MYLR (June build) and even though I have had no problems (other than an affinity for nails in tires), the new car rides and looks quite a bit better with many improvements. My only complaint is that its a bit harsher on rough roads than the 2020 LR (19" Gemini's in winter helped somewhat).

Thanks for the encouraging news. I have a 440 VIN MYP Red that I am picking up this Fri. (6/3). I hope I have as good of an experience as you have had.
At least it sounds like mine will be a first shot and not someone else's reject. Are you sure about the laminated windows? I thought all of the Y's were coming with laminated windows all around now.

Considering how much my new arrival has appreciated since I ordered it last Nov, I went ahead and ordered a MYLR in White (hopefully crimson will be out by then, or I'll wrap it). If this cycle repeats, which I believe it will, by the time it is delivered in 2023, it should be worth much more than the price I locked in.

My Y LR was down to a two week window twice. Most recent was 5.28-6.11. Received to trade in email. . Sunday the 30th they pushed out to 6.15-7.11.

This is so frustrating. At Christmas last year, my eye was February. They pushed out in January.

How can they be so incompetent to pull in, and then back out. Especially with a February eta?

My original email was April or May. 11.1.21 original order date