Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Range 273??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First - I feel for you in that you are not getting what you expected and I understand it more then you know. I'm not used to ever getting EPA rated mileage and that is irritating, but after 33 new cars - I kinda expect that.

Regarding charging, did you precondition the battery? Even driving the battery may not be hot or cold enough to accept max charge. Driving doesn't necessarily mean the battery is warm enough in cold weather to accept a max charge. My buddies with Ys in Alaska are telling me that in a 20 mile drive they never reach a temp that they regen in. Makes it so that when I get mine, I now know what to expect.

Not being rude, but there is a potential solution here for you - if you do not like the way the Y works for you, the good news is that they do not depreciate like most vehicles and you can probably sell it for close to what you paid for it excluding whatever your sales tax rate is. I've seen a few people up here in Alaska get one and realize it wasn't what they thought it would be and they sold it - some at little to no loss. One was complaining his electric bill was going to be way too high. We helped him figure out he is getting a decent wh/mi and it's because power up here is more expensive then a lot of other places. (.22 a KWH) Right now a 30 mpg car with $2.50 fuel is the break even point. Of course that car will not be able to compare in any way to a Tesla...

Unfortunately, what you are experiencing is not abnormal - I wish it was so that the people here could tell you how to fix it. You can search and find posts all over this forum, Tesla's Forum, FB Tesla Groups, etc... THIS is exactly why I want tri-motor Cybertruck with a 500 mile EPA rated range. That way when you remove 20% off the top (100 miles) and take 50% winter, elevation change, driving speed loss - you get 200 miles of real world, actual range without charging... That's my math and I hope I am wrong.

FWIW, a buddy with a Bolt that lives in an area with low speed limits, in the winter gets less than 100 miles on a FULL charge and in the summer gets 300 miles... He just got a Y and I am anxious to see his results.

Reactions: Puma2020
I had a short road trip yesterday that was around 120 miles. 36*, I drove 95% on the highway, cruise was set to 72mph and occasionally passing vehicle going 75 - 80. Heat was set to 68* the whole time. I averaged 335 wh/mi which if my math is correct gives me a range of roughly 224 miles. I do have after market wheels and tires which actually have been doing worse than the stock 21s. It has been cold so I will need to do a comparison when it warms up next spring. The stock 21s had an average of 295 wh/mi over 3700 miles. The aftermarket 20s are 321 after 800 miles. I am happy to get over 200 miles of range in the cold. One thing I have noticed is how efficient the heat pump is. I notice little to nothing in energy consumption.

Reactions: RedRocket83
My 5600 mile lifetime average is 243 wh/mi. With a 74kwh battery, that's a 304 real world range.

I accidentally charged to 100% yesterday, so I went out on the highway driving as inefficiently possible. Driving near 80, many WOT surges, and the heat on, I burned 308 wh/mi.

Clean waxed car, OEM Gemeni wheels / Conti tires, 44 PSI.

It’s amazing how much an efficiency difference wheels and tires make. I thought going down to 20s would increase my efficiency but early numbers say otherwise. The wheels are an open spoke design so I’m sure wind resistance isn’t any good. I have the vredestein quatrac pro tires and I don’t think they have very good rolling resistance. Once it warms up again I’ll be able to get a better idea.

My 5600 mile lifetime average is 243 wh/mi. With a 74kwh battery, that's a 304 real world range.

I accidentally charged to 100% yesterday, so I went out on the highway driving as inefficiently possible. Driving near 80, many WOT surges, and the heat on, I burned 308 wh/mi.

Clean waxed car, OEM Gemeni wheels / Conti tires, 44 PSI.
you got amazing wh/mile. What's your typical highway speed? Do you notice any high initial wh/mile (first ~1000 miles) and then range improvement after the break-in period (first ~1000 miles)?

It was higher the first 500 - 1000 miles and, for some reason, the first few days after buying the performance boost. ;) I drive just a few MPH over the speed limit on the highway. The highways I use are around 60% at 55, 10% at 65 and 30% at 70.

I reset one trip counter on 9/21 to see how the cooler fall weather affected the range, so far my fall range is still a hair better than my lifetime because the first 500 - 1000 miles were quite a bit higher.
20201129_172921.jpg

Last edited:
It was higher the first 500 - 1000 miles and, for some reason, the first few days after buying the performance boost. ;) I drive just a few MPH over the speed limit on the highway. The highways I use are around 60% at 55, 10% at 65 and 30% at 70.

I reset one trip counter on 9/21 to see how the cooler fall weather affected the range, so far my fall range is still a hair better than my lifetime because the first 500 - 1000 miles were quite a bit higher.
View attachment 612970
Hi Thanks for sharing your story! I have my MY for 700 miles now and I currently have a lifetime energy consumption of 268 Wh/mile with gentle driving. I hope to see it dropping a bit in another few hundred miles.

And then there's others like the posts right above this one that were in the cold that did much much better than what I did. Makes me think it's not normal.
you may want to drive your MY till 20-30% and let it stay at this level for a few hours for recalibration, you could then charge it to 90%. You should be able to see the display range coming back. This is the trick I learned from someone here and it worked for my M3 before trading it in.