Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP vs M3P: Handling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Night and day difference, imho.
M3P is more agile especially in corners/turns, and feels more planted since lower to ground.
20220808_195113.jpg

Above my M3P, below our MYP going Vroooooom! 🤪
Screenshot_20220903_100749.jpg

If you use them as transportation appliances, you may never notice a difference. For example, my wife mostly drives fairly sedately, especially in corners. She does like to punch it at a stoplight...but only if the way forward is straight. She would never notice any difference between my MYP and my old M3P, and I understand that given how she drives.

But I really like cornering (only allowed when she is not in the car). I notice a huge difference then. I could throw the M3P in to a corner, and it would simply go where I pointed it, with steady pressure on the wheel. But my MYP requires a bit of wrestling with the wheel...mostly related to throttle adjustments. It has more lean as well, no surprise.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and reystar
If you use them as transportation appliances, you may never notice a difference. For example, my wife mostly drives fairly sedately, especially in corners. She does like to punch it at a stoplight...but only if the way forward is straight. She would never notice any difference between my MYP and my old M3P, and I understand that given how she drives.

But I really like cornering (only allowed when she is not in the car). I notice a huge difference then. I could throw the M3P in to a corner, and it would simply go where I pointed it, with steady pressure on the wheel. But my MYP requires a bit of wrestling with the wheel...mostly related to throttle adjustments. It has more lean as well, no surprise.

My driving style is more aggressive, high speed, aggressive cornering etc. Not all the time, but you know, when i feel like playing i do it..

Did you notice a big difference on acceleration between MYP and M3P in real world?

M3P is more agile especially in corners/turns, and feels more planted since lower to ground.
View attachment 848596
View attachment 848597

+1. Night and day difference. I have both in my garage actually. A 2018 model 3P thats my primary car, and a 2022 model Y P that is my wifes primary car. The only reason hers is a performance version is because the price delta was so small between that and LR it made sense to get the P, since I thought I would enjoy that when I drove it.

I like "cruising" in her car, I like "driving" my car. A model Y P drives like what it is, a heavy SUV. I like the car, dont get me wrong, but it doesnt even handle as good as the X3 M40i (with adaptive sport suspension) that we had previously.

I like the total package of the model Y P better than the X3, but as far as driving back roads or something, the X3 was better, and the model 3P is much better at that than the X3 is.

Totally different use cases to me though, but to answer the thread question, these two cars are not close at all when it comes to what people normally call "handling".

Cause there should be a reason that MYP doesnt have a track mode, and possibly it could affect the handling.
Because who takes an SUV to the track?

Any vehicle can have track mode, but it’s simply not a necessary development complexity when that is not why the core audience is buying it.

And yes, there probably is more liability of some idiot rolling an SUV at the track.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
+1. Night and day difference. I have both in my garage actually. A 2018 model 3P thats my primary car, and a 2022 model Y P that is my wifes primary car. The only reason hers is a performance version is because the price delta was so small between that and LR it made sense to get the P, since I thought I would enjoy that when I drove it.

I like "cruising" in her car, I like "driving" my car. A model Y P drives like what it is, a heavy SUV. I like the car, dont get me wrong, but it doesnt even handle as good as the X3 M40i (with adaptive sport suspension) that we had previously.

I like the total package of the model Y P better than the X3, but as far as driving back roads or something, the X3 was better, and the model 3P is much better at that than the X3 is.

Totally different use cases to me though, but to answer the thread question, these two cars are not close at all when it comes to what people normally call "handling".
Thanks makes sense. I've never driven an X3 but we have an X5 and its kinda horrible on corners if you driving with high speed...

Did you notice a big difference on acceleration between MYP and M3P in real world?

Driving them back-to-back, yeah, the M3P was definitely quicker. But now that I've had the MYP for 6 months, it seems quick enough. I would prefer the M3P's acceleration if I could get it, but that's not enough to make me miss the M3P.

The handling is different. I miss the M3P because of that.

(Don't get me wrong, I love my MYP - it is definitely a more practical vehicle and for most a better choice if it's an only car. I am driving it more sedately than I drove my M3P, which is probably a good thing overall even if less fun. However, if your household has another bigger car sitting around...the M3P is cheaper, more efficient, and more fun. It is good to have choices!).

View attachment 848596
View attachment 848597
I test drove both. Didn't buy the performance model, but I could immediately tell the difference between the M3 and MY as soon as I tried to corner in the latter. MYP feels bulky and unstable compared to the M3P. It's too much mass with too high a center of gravity for the platform it rides on, which was clearly designed for a car with the center of gravity and mass of the M3. That's not to say that the MY is a bad car from a handling perspective though; it definitely does at least as well as a "normal" sedan like a Camry around the corners, but I didn't like the way it handled compared to the M3, nor did I like the very small view out the rear view mirror. Also, being a crossover, anyone has a clear view of what's in the trunk, so you really don't want to leave anything in there. So I got the M3.

• Informative
Reactions: reystar and RoBoRaT
So you kept the M3P instead of the MYP? But makes sense if you replace it with another SUV...
Real world the difference on range was noticable?
See my limited comparison, 8 Kish miles on stock wheels/p zero tires, SoCal world range.

299 Wh/mile on 2022 MYP, stock 21" Űberturbines with P-zeros:
20220903_105159.jpg

And yes, I used M3P 20" Űberturbines on this MYP with Michelin A/S 3+ on the last 725 miles - these tires get 316 Wh/mile.

276 Wh/mile on 2022 M3P stock 20" Űberturbines with Perelli P-Zeros:
20220828_200055.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: reystar
I agree with the nigh/day difference. As far as acceleration...it's hard to tell the difference in .5 seconds. The M3P to me was more of a driver's car and I will always miss it. It was always fun to drive and from a stop really quick, or so I thought, until then the wife got her X Plaid. That thing is almost stupid fast for such a large SUV.

Reactions: tm1v2
I notice a huge difference [in cornering, between M3P and MYP]. I could throw the M3P in to a corner, and it would simply go where I pointed it, with steady pressure on the wheel. But my MYP requires a bit of wrestling with the wheel...mostly related to throttle adjustments. It has more lean as well, no surprise.

I would like to update my response, as I just changed my MYP from all-seasons to max performance summer tires (Pirelli's PZERO Elects). The tires make a big difference! Sure, the summer tires are louder, noisier, more expensive, wear faster, and more subject to blowouts...but the grip is amazing.

None of that surprised me (I'd made similar tires switches on previous cars). What surprised me is how much better the MYP now handles in a corner when I vary the throttle, as described above. It's still no M3P, but the difference between the two cars was apparently partly - maybe half?! - due to the tires. Now I'm going too fast through corners again...