Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious speaker in passenger footwell.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I figured it out!

I had to reboot while driving today (bass cutout) and it sounded like the autopilot engage and disengage sounds came from it.

I think it's a speaker connected direct to the AP computer to give audible alerts in case the sound system fails or is down (such as the case with reboot).

I don't know about emergency sounds, but I rebooted this morning to see if I'd get bass back on BT (didn't seem to help), but I had EAP engaged and tried a lane change while the screen was off and it made the change normally but did it silently. The blinkers (I assume they actually came on) did not make any clicking noise like they normally do. Though its possible that the blinkers use the normal speakers and other computer sounds don't I guess.

Hi. Mine M3 is March 2020 and I discovered this speaker when I installed the trunk automatic power and the Hansshow display. I don't have any noise, and I can't figure for what it is.
By the way if disconnected I have the error and will dissappear when is connected back.
20210417_210930.jpg

It's the emergency speaker for Autopilot warnings. See this post:

That speaker deserves an award because it is probably the hardest working component in Model 3s above 50 mph :D
I think another award is due for making the wind sounds so realistic.
Tradition car manufactures struggle to get such fidelity, with huge sums of money
decades of research and development, massive budgets, teased release dates
only to have to delay production yet again as they fail to get the fake engine sounds right
obviously no match for Tesla wind sounds
Even now GM has plans to take the crown from Tesla...delayed till 2023

• Funny
Reactions: zhu-
I think another award is due for making the wind sounds so realistic.
Tradition car manufactures struggle to get such fidelity, with huge sums of money
decades of research and development, massive budgets, teased release dates
only to have to delay production yet again as they fail to get the fake engine sounds right
obviously no match for Tesla wind sounds
Even now GM has plans to take the crown from Tesla...delayed till 2023

The realistic 360 surround effects from a single speaker is further testament to Tesla's exceptional software and engineering.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNation and Ecoli
Hi. Mine M3 is March 2020 and I discovered this speaker when I installed the trunk automatic power and the Hansshow display. I don't have any noise, and I can't figure for what it is.
By the way if disconnected I have the error and will dissappear when is connected back.View attachment 685279
This looks like a future "OnStar"-like system. Speaker would be dedicated to the operator incase your battery/main sound is dead after a collision?

Operator: "Sir/Ma'am, first question: were you on FSD Beta when the collision happened?"
Driver hanging upside down: "Ummm.. yeah?"
Car: "Self destruct sequence in 3... 2... "

This looks like a future "OnStar"-like system. Speaker would be dedicated to the operator incase your battery/main sound is dead after a collision?

Operator: "Sir/Ma'am, first question: were you on FSD Beta when the collision happened?"
Driver hanging upside down: "Ummm.. yeah?"
Car: "Self destruct sequence in 3... 2... "
There's no need to speculate and add confusion to what the speaker is for. It's already known.

It's an emergency speaker for AutoPilot to make chimes and noises if the main head unit has crashed. You can test it yourself by being on AutoPilot and rebooting the head unit with the two buttons, and you'll hear it make noises.

There's no need to speculate and add confusion to what the speaker is for. It's already known.

It's an emergency speaker for AutoPilot to make chimes and noises if the main head unit has crashed. You can test it yourself by being on AutoPilot and rebooting the head unit with the two buttons, and you'll hear it make noises.
It's not possible that it could be for both? Did this info come from Tesla? How do you explain the "eCall emergency call system requires service" above?

It's not possible that it could be for both? Did this info come from Tesla? How do you explain the "eCall emergency call system requires service" above?

Not impossible for EU cars. Doesn't do anything for US based cars, because we don't have the eCall system. But it looks like you all have a button for emergencies, and the eCall system installed, so maybe that is a voice connection? Web searches say it's a one-directional data only system, but it could be something else.

Tesla never comments or answers any questions ever, so there is no way for us to know for sure. After I broke my connector, I reconnected it anyway, just in case something changes in the future or they throw a fault like you see. (I didn't see any faults when it was broken.)