Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious speaker in passenger footwell.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing but hiss on various inputs
Edit: Now I can tell why the car seems quiet after it goes to sleep. Stops the hiss.
20190319_190939.jpg

Maybe it's to cancel road noise with 180 degree out of phase sound at some point in the future, like noise cancelling headphones.

that would be amazing. Though I think the speaker is not quite large enough to reproduce a lot of the low frequencies needed to cancel out the rumble of road noise.

That said, it should be trivial to leverage the inverted phase frequencies through the regular speakers + subwoofer. Again, just like regular noise cancelling headphones that can do noise cancellation while also outputting from an aux source.

Some privacy concerns possible, as it means the microphone has to be on to capture the noise to be cancelled.

that would be amazing. Though I think the speaker is not quite large enough to reproduce a lot of the low frequencies needed to cancel out the rumble of road noise.

That said, it should be trivial to leverage the inverted phase frequencies through the regular speakers + subwoofer. Again, just like regular noise cancelling headphones that can do noise cancellation while also outputting from an aux source.

Some privacy concerns possible, as it means the microphone has to be on to capture the noise to be cancelled.

I think it's a separate PA speaker for self driving rentals to tell people to keep their feet off the back of the seats and not eat in the car.