Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious text saying I have powerwall service scheduled....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Just got this text:

Tesla: We have scheduled service work for your Powerwall on 12/18/2020 with the arrival time between 12-2pm. We do require that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the entirety of the visit. If this time does not work please call 877-525-7652. Thank you

Have no idea why. I haven't scheduled anything. Has anyone else gotten anything like this?

Early on, there was a batch of Powerwalls that were built with pumps that were likely to fail. Tesla Energy Support was able to detect the failed pumps remotely and were scheduling out of the blue like this to fix it. I have no idea what it might be in your case.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
I tried calling the number in the text. Just waited for 45 minutes on hold only to have the system hang up on my after it did a transfer, 3 rings, and then some random tones and then click.

I guess they can just tell me what's it's about when they arrive for whatever reason.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
They responded via email and a said it was because they submitted the wrong interconnection agreement form which I already knew about. But for some reason they're saying that have to make an actual site visit before resubmitting. December 18th will have been 2 months since install was complete and apparently they won't even submit the correct PTO forms until after they come back out. I have no idea why they have to physically be on site before they can do this but it's now looking like more months before PTO.

...and I have yet to receive and invoice. It's starting to look like I may not be be able to claim the 26% this years since the CPA opinions on this board have stated they believe the system has to have been paid for already if not financing.

They responded via email and a said it was because they submitted the wrong interconnection agreement form which I already knew about. But for some reason they're saying that have to make an actual site visit before resubmitting. December 18th will have been 2 months since install was complete and apparently they won't even submit the correct PTO forms until after they come back out. I have no idea why they have to physically be on site before they can do this but it's now looking like more months before PTO.

...and I have yet to receive and invoice. It's starting to look like I may not be be able to claim the 26% this years since the CPA opinions on this board have stated they believe the system has to have been paid for already if not financing.
They probably need to take pictures of the install that they missed on the first pass. During my town inspection they needed to take a few extra pictures to document something they missed.

During our install, 40A circuit breakers were sold out everywhere (guess mfgring issue during covid and increase in the need from solar/PW installs) and they needed to come back out with two of them for us when inventory came in. The original team had a short list of a few other things as I recall that they wanted to complete that they automatically put on a maintenance list for our job. They did mention this to us before leaving so we were aware they would be back out. Once the breakers came in we got scheduled for a maintenance visit.

OK, finally got ahold of someone on the phone. The person who emailed me was confused. The service visit has nothing to do with PTO. It's to make a frequency adjustment which I did indeed request. I just thought it could be done remotely.

I don’t think I’d worry about the tax credit difference. Others on here who didn’t make their 2019 timeframe asked if they could be given a rebate for the difference and from what I’ve seen on here Tesla later remitted a check in 2020 for the difference but I’d put in the request if it looks like it might come down to that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electrph
OK, finally got ahold of someone on the phone. The person who emailed me was confused. The service visit has nothing to do with PTO. It's to make a frequency adjustment which I did indeed request. I just thought it could be done remotely.

The frequency adjustment can definitely be done remotely and usually is. The only thing I can imagine that they might want to be on site for is to do a test and verify that your inverters do shut off at the new frequency. But given that this was a new install and your inverters are the same as hundreds or thousands of others that they have also installed recently I’m not sure why they would need to physically check yours.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
The frequency adjustment can definitely be done remotely and usually is. The only thing I can imagine that they might want to be on site for is to do a test and verify that your inverters do shut off at the new frequency. But given that this was a new install and your inverters are the same as hundreds or thousands of others that they have also installed recently I’m not sure why they would need to physically check yours.

Well then the mystery continues :(

The gateway / Powerwall raises the frequency of the A/C current to shut off the solar when the batteries in the Powerwall get full. You want the lowest frequency increase possible that shuts off your solar so that the rest of the electronics and motors in your home function as intended. It is best done on site IMHO.

It is best done on site IMHO.

Frankly I’m not sure it’s really even possible to do on site. I asked my installers about it during my install and they didn’t even know what I was talking about. Eventually they called it in to support for me and support made the change remotely. I know people who have been into the installer setup have posted stating that the frequency isn’t even an option available to installers/technicians. As far as I know it can only be changed remotely by tesla support.

Obviously it could be done remotely with a technician on site, but I’m not sure that there would be any real benefit to that. Why do you think it would be best done on site?

Last edited:
FWIW: They insisted on being onsite for my adjustment too. While the actual change was done remotely they insisted a real Tesla employee verify everything on site both before and after the adjustment. This was almost 8 months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and All In
Someone should be there because if the solar doesn't shut down after the change bad things are going to happen.

That is true, but because Tesla does cookie cutter installs with the same inverter every time and because they refuse to lower the frequency below 62 or 62.5Hz and the inverters cut off at 60.5Hz I think it’s pretty low risk to ‘blindly’ lower the frequency for a standard tesla install, like @sorka has.

However, if it’s was just a powerwall only installation that was added to existing non-tesla solar then it might be prudent to have someone on site to check that the inverter shuts down as expected.

Reactions: sorka and aesculus