Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mytesla page updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, but there's not enough room under that cap for 5 lug nuts.
I disagree, I think there is plenty of room under there. You only need about 4.75"-5.13" inches for lug pattern. The cover diameter at the base looks to be about the same size as the wheel hub, so should be plenty large enough to fit under.

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that there wouldn't be centerlock wheels, it wouldn't make any sense for them to do that. Centerlocks are high cost option on Porsches, Ferraris, etc...it's not going to be on a mid-level luxury sedan even as an option. It would be impractical for many reasons.

If those are truly centerlock wheels (still unlikely) they would be for the prototype show car only. Far as I know, the red prototype has never made any further appearances so may never really know for sure, unless those wheels make it to production.

Well, taking some quick measurements from the screen, it looks like the cap is a bit over 5" wide at the base. That might be enough for a tight fit on a 4.5" bolt circle.

I agree that centerlock wheels would be eminently impractical, but I love the look - even if it is just a cap.

I disagree, I think there is plenty of room under there. You only need about 4.75"-5.13" inches for lug pattern. The cover diameter at the base looks to be about the same size as the wheel hub, so should be plenty large enough to fit under.
From that photo, I get 448 pixels for the wheel diameter, and 73 pixels for the center cap diameter.
I'll guess that the inner diameter of the tire is about 410 pixels.
That would give a center cap diameter of (20" * (73/410)) = 3.5".
I can guarantee with 100% certainty that there wouldn't be centerlock wheels.
While I believe that at least this one prototype is, I hope you're correct about the production cars.

tesla reservation.jpg
I don't like the blue, so I made my own landing page, based on what I want.And I have changed the RN, and deleted some of it, so no issues there :)

Reactions: sunrocket
From that photo, I get 448 pixels for the wheel diameter, and 73 pixels for the center cap diameter.
I'll guess that the inner diameter of the tire is about 410 pixels.
That would give a center cap diameter of (20" * (73/410)) = 3.5".
While I believe that at least this one prototype is, I hope you're correct about the production cars.
What part were you measuring at the 73 pixels? At the top face or at the base between the blades? Not saying your estimates are incorrect, just wasn't clear what part you were measuring and I'm too lazy to count the pixels myself :p

OK, let's assume 21.5" outer diameter for the wheel. The outer diameter for the wheel from the picture is 448 pixels. That gives (21.5" * (73/448)) = 3.50" again.
My calculations are entirely different. First off, the wheel is not round so that makes matters tougher but since these are only estimates, whatever. And now that I think about it, as long as I take both measurements along the same plane the ratio should hold no matter where I measure it. FWIW, I used the horizontal plane. I measured the wheel as 358 pixels and the hub as 108 pixels. If the wheel actually measures 21.5" the hub would have about a 6.4" diameter. For a 20" wheel the hub would be right around a 6" diameter. This assumes that the lug nuts are located under the protrusions between the spokes. Since there are 5 of them that would appear to be the case. So I'm pretty certain that is just a cover over standard lug nuts. Looks great though.

FWIW, I used the horizontal plane. I measured the wheel as 358 pixels and the hub as 108 pixels.
The problem with measuring horizontally is that the front of the wheel is closer to the camera than the back. But measuring horizontally, I only get 55 pixels for the dark grey center cap. I can't imagine what you're measuring as 108 pixels horizontally.

That said, I do now see a faint cut line on the silver part of the wheel. When I measure that vertically, I get 108 pixels. That would give an opening size of (21.5" * (108/448)) = 5.18". Assuming the 3 will have the same 5x120 lug pattern as the S, that might be enough room to hide the lugs. I hope you're right.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92

The problem with measuring horizontally is that the front of the wheel is closer to the camera than the back. But measuring horizontally, I only get 55 pixels for the dark grey center cap. I can't imagine what you're measuring as 108 pixels horizontally.

That said, I do now see a faint cut line on the silver part of the wheel. When I measure that vertically, I get 108 pixels. That would give an opening size of (21.5" * (108/448)) = 5.18". Assuming the 3 will have the same 5x120 lug pattern as the S, that might be enough room to hide the lugs. I hope you're right.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92
Okay, you can't measure the dark grey part. That would be the "fake" centerlock. As you noted, the faint cut line around the hub and blades is what I am indicating is the actual cap. To get measurement of what I think is the cap, you need to measure to what I have indicated below. That should be well over 5".
tesla-model-3-5-of-12.jpg

I don't see any cut lines around the blades. Here's the cut line I was talking about. It's pretty faint:

L0MIC_2BW1ygjLRJG_cF-8OC_aU-ENVrdOw1hHHTcBj4SP-iJLAEgtJHuXUIZdqV47tOY4B9AxsYjZLrtQIB7iQlhEDxLetiSysIcGUoTcYF8faAV6gcgQSdVoGx-YFF4TEIjNdq5u8H-6VW3GUF040wgAKWrw2ws8Z-DHMmxCmUwq2Yy2WX6D8lAMWrW81Aq1zmS8GS-nlXhbfSbgbeLe2yh6esk5IU_iGQBm9FrBbjaHuOBKXb4EiCDTZfUadxJ85q4GJqclplAJ2UatwjpmB2Ixcr4zPpLtZ8E-Onm5Ycg6CtDPFkPqAjrzstK5Zh7bVdOSvFWR8WWwSfOZHgA78KieZ0VEdwcZERCvM430jWu4mPpBj80w1Sm_kxxdVqGj-bcH5L1qSakoyiXoUg9eRfvzpGdYPgQPbXXBxwkQEt1X0mI_cCd7egwxe1pn9IirN5NNl5oNCMIMSR8pzySfWgsEP8-OhTQ9Z00vK5AR4c1BJqPZoGXlcZOfyG5iLFcen-G8wUJugmcwF8epmByEes6UYfQ84qh19CzRj5xlJHjArVC1tgohRSbCMw7alCLMV0YSqlLtK7KrEF6q9WL0mliT0jqxd4=w970-h646-no
Your picture didn't come through for some reason. Can't zoom in real well without the resolution quickly degrading, but this is what I am talking about. If you look around all of the blades, there seems to be joint with the cap. I know there are some shadows going on also, but the colors seem to be ever so slightly off too.
wheel zoom.jpg