Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire… too close to sidewall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are your thoughts… too close? 20”, 6K miles

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 243
Discount Tire Direct, Tire Certificate Program:

"In the event one of your tires fails due to a defect or incurs a puncture that cannot be repaired, Discount Tire Direct will replace it at no additional charge, including the freight to you. This is regardless of how many miles you've put on them. Nobody in the industry can beat this deal! This is not a pro-rated warranty!"

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/customer-service/certificates

Verdict was that it was repairable… except that it was like a 4” nail and rotated/hit the bead enough that they couldn’t reseat it properly and it sort of blew out when refilling. Kinda thought something was up on the short trip to the tire shop (about 4 miles, max 35mph)

Held pressure just fine until a turn about 1/2 mile away from the destination, then I was watching it deflate at about 1 psi every few seconds. I’m just happy I made it all the way to the shop at 15psi…

Ah well.

Nope on the shoulder they won't touch it. That said, if you're handy you may want to go the plug route - just a thought. I personally wouldn't but if nothing else it may help you get by short term.
Naah, not willing to risk it. Too close for me, but I trust the tire shop judgement. I have done plugs, but center tire in tread. Also, would prefer a proper repair with the low mileage - it’s my understanding that once you diy plug they normally won’t touch them.