Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Nano Glass Coating - real-time performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got to believe that rainex is cheaper and easier to apply (by the end user with no special tools)

RainX is definitely cheaper and easier to apply to end user. But nano technology is leaps and bounds superior to traditional sealants such as RainX. For one, the glass surface is first polished to remove embedded contamination. With products like RainX, you're simply spraying the product on, allowing it to make a bond, then wiping off. The glass surface itself is never truly clean. Nano technology is manipulating surfaces on an atomic scale...unmatched by any other technology.

So as always, there are many things in life that "get the job done"...such as an ICE car to get you from point a to point b...but then you have technology come along and give performance and innovation taking us to the next generations...hence Tesla.

That's what nano technology has done for our industry. This thread is simply to show how far we've come in advancement when it relates to protecting your vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

Save your money and get RainX.

Also, applying any coating to your windshield will have a negative impact on the performance of your windshield wipers.

Due to the nano particles filling in the small pores of the glass surface, you've actually reduced drag, therefore, extending wiper blade life. If water can bead off not leaving any trace, it's a clear indication of little to no surface tension.

- - - Updated - - -

+1

I tired this stuff a few years ago and it was awful. Wipers skipped like a little girl on recess.

As far as I know, this current product is not on the market yet. It's from Germany and we've been using and testing it for about three years...it's been around for almost 15-20 years in europe.

As with nano products, the skill of the installer and the correct surface preparation and application are the key to performance of the nano coating.

Do you know the specific product that was used on your windshield? Was it applied by a pro or a DIY product?

- - - Updated - - -

Regular old car wax on glass works, too, but may not be as durable and long lasting.

Depending on the wax used, and its melting point, it's not recommended to use it on glass. For example, carnauba waxes have a melting point of around 180 degrees. So on a really hot day, you may come close to that and if you used your wiper blades, you'd smear the wax on windshield, which could be a rather dangerous, as it would haze the windshield, affecting visibility at day and night.

I believe in terms of cost, RainX is definitely the choice. You can achieve similar results by applying and re-applying rainx on a more frequent basis. I've read some folks apply it 1-2 times per month. But, it's super easy and doesn't take much effort, so no problem doing it after a wash. The difference with nano is that it's much more durable and only needs to be applied once per year. Unlike rainx, the hydrophobic effects will last much longer. A neat test we did some time ago, and now I'm curious as to how rainx would do, used an orange dye in the water to actually see the surface tension made by the water droplet trails on glass surface. On untreated side, you could see the orange trails left behind, where on the nano side, even when dry, you did not see any trails. This is a good test that would show if something like a sprinkler sprayed on the windshield, and most sprinkler water used is reclaimed and high in mineral count, it would not allow the hard water deposits to etch the glass surface.

There are lots of great choices out there for solving problems. Part of the fun is to experiment and find something that solves problems. For us, nano has helped keep glass clean, increase visibility and reduce glare, repel water for a long period of time, for folks in the winter conditions, snow and ice doesn't cause such a problem on windshield, etc. So, it's just another option that is available to the enthusiast. In the end, I no longer have any affiliation with this company and am not here to sell the product. Just a detailing nerd that finds technology fascinating and likes to be on the cutting-edge of what's available. I know what nano technology has done for the soft painted surface of Model S, now it's also neat to see the same technology for glass and wheels.

Here's a pretty cool effect the nano coating has on front windshield. We've been asked to do them quite frequently lately, so I figured I'd share a quick video with you guys.

Nano Glass Coating Video

Let me know what you think

I've also used rainx...but I live in seattle...where is rains...330 days a year. Literally. I was putting the rainx on my model s sometimes up to twice a week just because sometimes it would rain so hard you had to use the wipers. No choice. I think your stuff definitely looks better than rainx. Is it safe for film? I have a windshield film on my windshield. (Was told not to use rainx).

Also whats the approximate cost?

Having used both Rain-X and Aquapel I am a complete convert to Aquapel. It was still going strong 8 months after I applied it. I rarely needed to use my wipers. Next time I'll get the Bosche wipers since they don't have the chatter problem. Sadly two days after I applied it this winter my windshield cracked. I haven't re-applied it since it's unlikely we'll see rain until next winter and we're having a severe drought in California.

I put G1 on my windows almost 1 year ago and it is still going strong. (Not as strong, but pretty good.)

After 9 months I started getting some skipping from my blades (a short while after Service replaced them.)

I "clayed" my windshield with my Nanoskin mitt and after that the skipping went away.

So, maybe try claying your windows.

I put G1 on my windows almost 1 year ago and it is still going strong. (Not as strong, but pretty good.)

After 9 months I started getting some skipping from my blades (a short while after Service replaced them.)

I "clayed" my windshield with my Nanoskin mitt and after that the skipping went away.

So, maybe try claying your windows.

Prep work is the key for any nano coating. A proper decontamination with a clay, then a polishing of the glass, allows the nano coating to adhere much better to the glass surface.

By claying or polishing again, the nano coating is removed. Nano is removed by abrasion...it's chemical resistant.

Have you noticed a difference in G1 coating on your windshield since claying?

- - - Updated - - -

I've also used rainx...but I live in seattle...where is rains...330 days a year. Literally. I was putting the rainx on my model s sometimes up to twice a week just because sometimes it would rain so hard you had to use the wipers. No choice. I think your stuff definitely looks better than rainx. Is it safe for film? I have a windshield film on my windshield. (Was told not to use rainx).

Also whats the approximate cost?

Prices will vary from installer to installer....we typically charge about $125 for windshield-only or $495 for entire glass surfaces of car. Pano roof is $125 for cars that have them.

Prep work is the key for any nano coating. A proper decontamination with a clay, then a polishing of the glass, allows the nano coating to adhere much better to the glass surface.

By claying or polishing again, the nano coating is removed. Nano is removed by abrasion...it's chemical resistant.

Have you noticed a difference in G1 coating on your windshield since claying?

Hmmm...Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I used the fine grade Nanoskin to clean the surface of the window; there wasn't any polishing done. In terms of the performance, there appears to be no difference in beading/sheeting. The only difference is that there is no skipping.

Hmmm...Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I used the fine grade Nanoskin to clean the surface of the window; there wasn't any polishing done. In terms of the performance, there appears to be no difference in beading/sheeting. The only difference is that there is no skipping.

Pretty cool. I haven't used that particular coating, but if fine nanoskin didn't remove it, then it's a very durable product.

Pretty cool. I haven't used that particular coating, but if fine nanoskin didn't remove it, then it's a very durable product.

It's possible I over applied it! In reality, I've been most happy with G1 compared to the other gtechniq products.

I also spoke with a rep at Nanoskin, and he said the fine grade shouldn't remove any coating. No mention of marring, though....