Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NanoFlowcell Quant, Quantino

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't have specs on the Quant of course, but in general:

On the negative side, flow batteries are rather complicated in comparison with standard batteries as they may require pumps, sensors, control units and secondary containment vessels. The energy densities vary considerably but are, in general, rather low compared to portable batteries, such as the Li-ion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_battery

Apparently 200L of liquid gives 120kWh, so that's the comparison in terms of capacity.

And *in the lab* the flow cell is able to get 30kW of continuous power. That means assuming the car even has the supercaps it claims, once it runs out of energy in the supercaps, it'll be about the same as an i3 Rex with the battery completely drained (slow).

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/03/20140305-quant.html

Jay Gatsby said:
As for charge times.. you need to understand distance.. Some countries require huge range.. And no. there are ZERO charging options in Australia right now..

Jay, the last time I checked, Canada was significantly larger than Australia...so I know distance well.

As I stated before, experienced EV drivers know that "refuelling times" are largely unimportant for the overwhelming majority of daily driving...and, as long as you have household /electrically serviced camp sites/ commercial welding apparatus, you have places to charge (albeit sometimes inefficiently).

What kills the current electric car idea.. even the Tesla.. is refuel time.. If this thing can be refuel'd as quick as petrol (ie gas in the US) drive car..why wouldn't it succeed?...

I don't think so. There are now 20,000 plus of us driving Model S's with no concerns about refuel time. If you drive 250 miles a day, maybe, but the average is 30 miles a day. For that we have a charging infrastructure already in place -- in our homes and garages.

- - - Updated - - -

So much snake oil it's dripping from his hair.

Right on that. The BS is as thick as a brick.

Alice in Wonderland. The even don't get basic facts right
- Quant prototype was built by Koenigsegg, NLV and Koenigsegg today could be described as 'divorced'
- first presentation of the Quant was at Geneva Motorshow in 2009(!) not 2014. Read here and get a good laugh: Koenigsegg NLV Quant: Ambitionierte Elektrostudie | heise Autos

Forgive me my repeated scepticism, but the TÜV approval doesn't underline any of the technical specs that nanoFlowCell AG claims. It just means the prototype moves under it's own power a few meters. We want to see these outrageous claims demonstrated under supervision by independent 3rd party. Any investor should go over and beyond usual due diligence before sinking money in this project.

the actual paper: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360319913027341

“Hydrogen has to be inextricably linked with renewables to get a zero-emission energy system. Hydrogen is the store for renewable energy that allows it to be used for transport and with 100% reliability in grid and other stationary applications.”

The reason he got into hydrogen research he says in an interview is because it is the only way to get to 0% emission storage of energy, all other forms are just merely conversions that take resources. Hydrogen is the only 0 emission way to store energy at a size and density on a mass scale he argues.

- - - Updated - - -

So much snake oil it's dripping from his hair.

I have a hunch this is all legit. Simply because Bosh is involved, Bosh doesn't associate themselves with projects that are fake. This is real.

Last edited by a moderator:
the actual paper: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360319913027341

“Hydrogen has to be inextricably linked with renewables to get a zero-emission energy system. Hydrogen is the store for renewable energy that allows it to be used for transport and with 100% reliability in grid and other stationary applications.”

The reason he got into hydrogen research he says in an interview is because it is the only way to get to 0% emission storage of energy, all other forms are just merely conversions that take resources. Hydrogen is the only 0 emission way to store energy at a size and density on a mass scale he argues.

For a small drop in efficiency you can convert hydrogen to methane. I'm told that methane use is quite common.

m1myr09b72r8_600.jpg

the car has been approved by EU regulators, meaning it is road cleared, which is why he is holding up the license plate, so whatever the car is, it's a legit car

- - - Updated - - -

Very interesting. In comparison to Tesla, I see those differences:

PRO:
- Faster "Charging"
- Some more range
- Even greater acceleration

the main benefit of flow batteries is actually the ability to independently scale power and energy

this is not possible in any normal battery, energy and power are static, with a flow battery you can control energy and power completely independently

- Even greater acceleration

the car has 2 massive supercapacitors under the center console, they would be super easy to charge through the flow battery, I bet the only limit to the speed is the car itself, not the power, the limit is the traction, if you want a car to accelerate below 2 seconds from 0-100km/h, you need massive amounts of traction and downforce

Last edited by a moderator:
Power how? The liquids must have a voltage gradient which has to do with chemical/physical properties.

And "adding liquid volume" is quite like saying "switch to a larger battery" in an EV.

The way these storage systems work is that you have 2 seperate items: The storage tanks for the liquid, and the electrodes where the liquid is pumped by. (Random picture from google for Redox Flow Battery: http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2011/ph240/xie2/images/f1big.png)

The size of the liquid tanks determines how much energy you can store, while the size of the electrodes determines how quickly you can pull (electrical) power out of the system. In a regular battery like e.g. the Tesla, the amount of both the energy you can store and the power you can draw at any given time increases if you increase the cell count.