Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Narrow envelope between 'hands detected on wheel' and 'assuming control'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using AP2 on the highway regularly for the past month and have noticed that my hands on the wheel don't give enough feedback to register. When I get nagged I jiggle the wheel just a bit to appease the AP and I've learned to try and hold the wheel with a bit more authority in order to reduce the warnings.

The problem is that a few times this has resulted in AP disengaging while following a road turn because the level of resistance I have to give to not get nagged for not having my hands on the wheel isn't a whole lot less than the level needed to disengage auto steering. This presents a pretty big problem because I have to actively monitor whether AP has disengaged without my intention.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I've been using AP2 on the highway regularly for the past month and have noticed that my hands on the wheel don't give enough feedback to register. When I get nagged I jiggle the wheel just a bit to appease the AP and I've learned to try and hold the wheel with a bit more authority in order to reduce the warnings.

The problem is that a few times this has resulted in AP disengaging while following a road turn because the level of resistance I have to give to not get nagged for not having my hands on the wheel isn't a whole lot less than the level needed to disengage auto steering. This presents a pretty big problem because I have to actively monitor whether AP has disengaged without my intention.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes, I noticed this too. However I recently completed a 2-day 1600 mile road trip and found that by resting my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel it never nagged me and a few times I took control away quickly and with no hassle. That left me one hand completely free to adjust media, etc. and made my two long days of driving easy, safe, and fun.

I rest one hand at either the 5 or 7 o'clock position and it knows I have my hand on the wheel and doesn't disengage inadvertently.

I also have a new personal policy of always engaging autopilot when I'm doing any distracted driving like talking on the phone or changing entertainment stations.

Reactions: pilotSteve