Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nashville to Memphis and back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning my first road trip with my 85 model S, if I left Nashville will a full charge with the intention of getting to Memphis, is this doable? My plan includes staying two nights in Memphis and hopefully getting recharged. Any comments or tips would be greatly apprieciated.

Depends on from where in Nashville to where in Memphis. Google Maps says its 212 miles from one center to the other. Interstate between is not particularly difficult so what you propose is practical even driving prevailing speeds on interstate.

I am planning my first road trip with my 85 model S, if I left Nashville will a full charge with the intention of getting to Memphis, is this doable? My plan includes staying two nights in Memphis and hopefully getting recharged. Any comments or tips would be greatly apprieciated.

Yes, you should.
You will have greater range heading to Memphis, due to going down hill.
However, heading back might be tighter.
You can charge at Casey Jones village in Jackson (Exit 80A) for a little supplement.
Only about 15 MPH charge rate though.

I just did this (in the opposite direction) with my 85D. It's definitely doable at the posted speed limit if the weather is OK. I arrived in Nashville with about 50 rated miles, after stopping for a bit (just to see how it worked) at a Nissan dealer in Dickson, TN and adding about 10 miles. Cruise control on 70 most of the way, and intermittent light rain. We charged overnight at a friend's house.

Came back with cruise control at 75 most of the way, which was working very well until we hit several miles of very heavy rain east of Jackson which eroded our range buffer. From Jackson to Memphis had to slow down to 60-65 but arrived with 35 miles of rated range.

There is a charger as noted in Jackson (we didn't stop) and a very friendly Nissan dealer (Victory Nissan) in dickson just off I-40.

Parkers Crossroad RV Park Yuma TN Good reviews 50 amp 731-968-9939 smallish (35 sites) nice staff. North 1 1/2 miles on Hwy 22 (exit 108)
http://www.parkerscrossroadsrvpark.com
I have contacted them (not recently) and they are Tesla friendly RV 50 rate

Charging in Memphis isn't easy

I posted in at the Nashville thread ... My home is very close to the interstates in Memphis - specifically I am within 3 miles of I40/I240/Sam Cooper interchange. 80 amp HPWC in the garage. Not on plugshare. PM me, with some warning, if you need.

Also, anyone in Memphis area have a Chademo to loan out (or be part of a group buy)?

Thank you for the tips. My plan is to leave Nashville with a full charge(as I will stay at the Hutton Hotel that has a HPWC). I then have two nights at The Peabody Hotel in Memphis that shows a J1772 Ev plug, so hopefully that will get me back up and going. Great to hear that there are are options in between.

I am considering making the trip from Vegas to Memphis this fall! I had no idea there was someone in Memphis who would share their HPWC! If you every drive to Vegas, I am on Plugshare and would be happy to return the favor.
I posted in at the Nashville thread ... My home is very close to the interstates in Memphis - specifically I am within 3 miles of I40/I240/Sam Cooper interchange. 80 amp HPWC in the garage. Not on plugshare. PM me, with some warning, if you need.

Also, anyone in Memphis area have a Chademo to loan out (or be part of a group buy)?

- - - Updated - - -

We really need some destination chargers at some of the nicer hotels in Memphis-especially downtown near the Bass Pro Store in the Pyramid!
I am considering making the trip from Vegas to Memphis this fall! I had no idea there was someone in Memphis who would share their HPWC! If you every drive to Vegas, I am on Plugshare and would be happy to return the favor.

I just did this (in the opposite direction) with my 85D. It's definitely doable at the posted speed limit if the weather is OK. I arrived in Nashville with about 50 rated miles, after stopping for a bit (just to see how it worked) at a Nissan dealer in Dickson, TN and adding about 10 miles. Cruise control on 70 most of the way, and intermittent light rain. We charged overnight at a friend's house.

Came back with cruise control at 75 most of the way, which was working very well until we hit several miles of very heavy rain east of Jackson which eroded our range buffer. From Jackson to Memphis had to slow down to 60-65 but arrived with 35 miles of rated range.

There is a charger as noted in Jackson (we didn't stop) and a very friendly Nissan dealer (Victory Nissan) in dickson just off I-40.
Be aware though that there is a significant difference in efficiency in the non "P" AWD vs the RWD cars.

Im in Nashville, and second the need for chargers in Memphis, Jackson and Little Rock.

Driving from Nashville to Hot Springs AR will be a frequent drive for us, and looks very very tricky in an P85D..

This is quite an old thread, there are now Superchargers in Jackson and Memphis. Little Rock is still a WIP but just keep up with the thread for it and you'll be fine when it comes online. I drove Memphis - Charlotte round trip two weeks ago averaging 80mph and I never once had any range concerns (in a classic RWD 85).