Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the last four days I have used the Nav on Autopilot for over 400 miles on multiple trips each spanning multiple freeways and NoA worked beautifully. Barring lane change confirmation and stearingwheel nag it almost felt like FSD.

I'm surprised, how the 'Nav on Autopilot' is NOT a FSD feature rather than EAP !!!

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Gavyne
I used NoA on a 550 mile trip this weekend on a combination of Interstate and US highways and I was surprised how well it functioned for a first Beta release. Other than a few lane change confirmations when it was not needed, it worked very well.

My experience is that it has a LONG way to go before I would ever let it change lanes itself... It's neat to see them trying to get to FSD on freeways but wow, it's not anywhere near as good as my 15 year old who's learning to drive.

Focusing on just one of the issues: The "decisions" it makes as to when to change lanes.

a) It routinely asks to change lanes into a lane where there is a line of cars preventing the move. And according to the graphic it sees those cars.
b) It asks to change lanes into a lane where the traffic is clearly slower than the target speed, despite being 3+ miles from the next exit on nav.
c) It changes lanes into situations that box you in - changes to the slow lane and a little while later gets "trapped" in that lane behind the slow traffic.
d) And most baffling it seems to argue with itself... I was testing on a wide open freeway Friday night and just let it change lanes whenever it wanted - there were 3 wide open lanes. It moved back and forth between the center lane and left lane like 7 times even though there was no traffic and the next exit was like 7 miles away. Literally it changed to left lane and immediately asked to change back to the middle. As soon as it settled into the middle lane it asked to move back to the left. SEVEN TIMES.

It routinely asks to change lanes into a lane where there is a line of cars preventing the move. And according to the graphic it sees those cars.
It asks you to “confirm” a lane change, and it is then your responsibility to decide when it is safe to activate the turn signal. If the car visualizes other cars in the path of the lane change a red lane line is shown indicating the car thinks it is not safe to change.
d) And most baffling it seems to argue with itself... I was testing on a wide open freeway Friday night and just let it change lanes whenever it wanted - there were 3 wide open lanes. It moved back and forth between the center lane and left lane like 7 times even though there was no traffic and the next exit was like 7 miles away.
That sounds very odd and is not something I have experienced using Navigate on Auto Pilot for hundreds of miles over the last several weeks. My overall experience has been very positive. No, the car is not yet perfect, but this new feature is already pretty damn good. As a Tesla owner for almost 5 years now, I am confident that EAP will continue to improve because that is what I have seen over the past 5 years; the Teslas I have owned have continued to improve markedly during my ownership.

I love it as well.

2 things that are significantly lacking to me though. I don't like the way it merges onto a freeway. Way too slow to accelerate and tentative to merge. Also it doesn't signal to merge into traffic. Secondly, I have had several occasions where it would decelerate significantly to change lanes, often with another car behind me. I have had to stomp on the accelerator to avoid shocking the car behind me. It needs to learn that times like that call for accelerating to move over rather than slowing.

Other than that, I absolutely love it.

Dan

Reactions: landis
The highways where NoA is active are controlled access with (generally) predictable variables, so it's not a huge step from standard Autopilot to something that feels closer to FSD. The real challenge for FSD is urban environments with ten times the number of variables.

I just got done with my first drive using NoA and I thought it was pretty impressive. Course I have only had my car a few weeks and have little experience with regular Autopilot. There is another thread out there (see above) where some grumpy old Tesla drivers completely trash it. Made me feel like quite the noob...

I'm surprised, how the 'Nav on Autopilot' is NOT a FSD feature rather than EAP !!!

What are your thoughts?

What drive on nav does is pretty clearly within the definition of what EAP was promised to do originally (in fact that, once the requirement to confirm is gone, will make EAP feature complete as far as promised features- though we can expect those features to keep getting better at their job- summon most noticeably scheduled next to have that happen)

I love the concept of it and truly appreciate what Tesla is doing and love doing my small part to assist in its improvements.

My consistent experiences with Nav on AP so far have been......(And I share this in a positive light, not a complaining manner, again, because I understand that it's not FSD nor a driver replacement system and it is exactly what Tesla says it is, a "beta" version.

1. When exiting the freeway, it always lets off the accelerator while still in the flow of traffic, which with regenerative braking, is like hitting the brakes. Most off ramps are plenty long enough to slow down. Car needs to wait to slow down until it is in the off ramp. Not sure if it's a setting, but each time has slowed down to 53 MPH before merging on to the off ramp.

2. As others have stated, it gets on the freeway like grandma. Again, the on ramp is there to alter your speed. Needs to accelerate so that it is up to the flow of traffic by the time it reaches the freeway itself. One of the reasons we have traffic is people merging onto a 65 MPH freeway at 35 MPH.

3. So far, it always chooses to slow down and go behind the car beside me in the next lane. Again, lifting off the accelerator and effectively slamming on the brakes. This happens when going well under the set speed and when there's a wide open space just ahead of the car in the next lane. Needs to learn that, a lane change doesn't also mandate slowing down. Clearly the car can see ahead, so it needs to learn how to merge into the next lane without having to alter speed, whenever possible of course.

4. When travelling the right line, passing on-ramps, it moves over to the right, thinking it's centering itself in the lane as the right painted line is disappears for the on-ramp opening. Thinking this is an EAP thing rather than Nav on AP, but the car never did that before. It stayed focused on the left painted line if the right line disappeared, or the car in front.

5. When taking curves, it slows down to speeds slower than the yellow suggested speed signs. Tesla needs to adjust the programming in this area to at a minimum, maintain at least the suggested speed. However, those signs are intended for the worst possible scenario. Hence, a large top heavy vehicle that rolls over easily, to make it through safely. They are suggestions, not required speed limits. Tesla's are cars, not top heavy trucks. Probably should be based on G-forces. Something it will have to learn. But I think most of us take curves based on what we feel. If we are being pulled/pushed to one side unnaturally hard, we naturally slow down. How many people actually look at their speedometer when taking every curve? A g-force rating would allow it to operate in a more real world, natural manner that's common of most common drivers. Naturally, the car can sense rain and temperature, so it can adjust these limits downward in bad weather or cold weather situations.

6. Car certainly ping pongs a lot more than it did. Again, only when using Nav on AP. Similar issue to #4, when merging from two lanes into one lane, once the left line disappears, car jerks left to center itself in the new left lane that it sees from the merging lane. Hence, the opening between right and left painted lines is now much wider just after the lane line you were in ends. Again, doesn't do this when just using EAP.

I took a test trip the other day, light traffic. Was basically a 15 mile loop that included 4 freeway changes. Whoa boy was that an adventure. Had a cop been behind me, he/she would have thought I was a drunk ass fool!!! I took the same trip again the next day and same results.

Basically, this car, in moderate traffic, wants to cause more traffic by constantly slowing down when it doesn't have to. I understand that it's beta and it's choosing the safe approach. But the natural driving options in these cases are not remotely unsafe. Hitting the brakes all of sudden with cars behind, when drivers wouldn't expect you to suddenly slow down, is unsafe.

I've read several posts where people say it works great. Sure, there are many situations where it does very well. Don't get me wrong, it's still an incredible feature. So far advanced over anything offered by any other manufacturer. But yes, it's still in its infancy. Moderate to heavy traffic situations, it struggles quite a bit. Light traffic, it does OK.

After experiencing it, it's certainly a cool feature, but the fact that you still have to answer to nags every 10-15 seconds and still have to "approve" each and every lane change, it doesn't really have a lot of practical benefits yet. Clearly Tesla released it to get miles on the system from customers. AP is constantly collecting data and transmitting it to Tesla so it can learn and improve. That part is great.

I very much loved my AP1 car before all the nags came into play. It was a true pleasure to drive and really provided a huge benefit. Naturally, because I value my life, I always paid very close attention to it, realizing its capabilities are still extremely limited. But on a wide open road with little to no traffic, or in bumper to bumper traffic, it was great to sit with your hands relaxed just below the wheel and enjoy the ride. Now, unfortunately the car doesn't recognize my natural driving position, so even with my hands on the wheel, i still get the constant nag. What was the greatest system ever, thanks to a select few people who abused the system, we all paid the price. So I personally find it more stressful answering all the nags than just driving the car myself in my natural driving position.

For me, Nav on AP is more stressful too, for the above noted reasons. When I don't want to be stressed, I just drive the car myself. However, I LOVE Tesla's innovation and the fact that they're doing something no other manufacturer is willing to do. I feel like it's a privilege to be a part of it. Therefore, I'm still doing my part and using the system whenever I can. Not because I see a benefit in it right now, (meaning it makes my individual trips better or easier), but because I know that Tesla is tracking its use and learning from it, which will lead to it eventually, becoming an incredible, usable feature that does make driving easier and safer all around. In my effort to help it learn, when the car wants to slow down when it shouldn't, it just put my foot on the accelerator and keep it at the speed it should be at. Hopefully so it learns there is a better way to handle these situations, that's actually safer and more in line with how a real driver would handle them.

Hopefully everyone else does the same. Many people will just let the car do what it wants to do. But since Tesla tracks every movement and is learning, I hope people do the same so it learns the correct way. If all drivers force it to do things the right way, the system will learn. It's obviously still not FSD and not intended to be. Many people want it to be so badly. We all do. Clearly, some wanted it so badly that they put way too much faith in AP1 and ended up in accidents as a result of not following instructions. I appreciate it for what it is and fully understand its limitations and want to continue doing my part to help the system learn rather than trying to rely on it to be something it's not, yet. The faster it learns, the sooner we get toward actual FSD features that we can rely on.

My best experience is when it took me off the highway off ramp......got to a light where it stopped behind a few cars. (at this point it already indicated that Nav on autopilot ended) It then told me to push the accelerator to start driving (once the light turned Green) It then made a left turn by itself automatically and even put on the blinker. This after it already told me that Nav on autopilot was going to end! I was surprised it did this. Kind of a welcome glitch. The turn was hairy....but it worked.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Got to tried nav on autopilot today for my usual drive to work... engaged EAP on the on-ramp- it had no problem accelerating from ramp to highway speed....

But it did have a problem with the fact the lane you come onto the highway on from the ramp ends a few hundred feet later- and the car seemed totally unaware its lane was ending... had to manually take over to merge left (no cars were there) and then renegage EAP.

After that though it seemed to work fine, including a split where the highway becomes two different highways... an interchange between that highway and another one... and then the exit ramp off the final highway- with notice it was disengaging in a few hundred feet with a countdown.

It suggested lane changes for speed and for upcoming exits which I confirmed and it did fine, though cautiously.

For exit lanes it moved over on its own (and signaled on its own) seemingly without issue.

I didn't see any issue with it slowing down on highway-to-highway interchanges, but none of those taken had big/tight curves either.... that won't be the case for the trip home so we'll see how it does with that.

For a first-pass attempt it's pretty good, though it definitely needs more watching than just regular EAP for now.

FWIW- the warning on the off-ramp it would disengage soon is basically what Level 3 driving looks like. You don't have to pay attention second to second, but have to be ready to take over with some reasonable amount of warning.

Seeing that reinforced my thinking that one of the first FSD offerings is going to basically be "EAP at L3 on divided highways" as once the kinks are worked out of the merge/lane end/split stuff- which presumably a 1000% more powerful NN can do- they're already there feature wise.

I love the concept of it and truly appreciate what Tesla is doing and love doing my small part to assist in its improvements.

My consistent experiences with Nav on AP so far have been......(And I share this in a positive light, not a complaining manner, again, because I understand that it's not FSD nor a driver replacement system and it is exactly what Tesla says it is, a "beta" version.

1. When exiting the freeway, it always lets off the accelerator while still in the flow of traffic, which with regenerative braking, is like hitting the brakes. Most off ramps are plenty long enough to slow down. Car needs to wait to slow down until it is in the off ramp. Not sure if it's a setting, but each time has slowed down to 53 MPH before merging on to the off ramp.

2. As others have stated, it gets on the freeway like grandma. Again, the on ramp is there to alter your speed. Needs to accelerate so that it is up to the flow of traffic by the time it reaches the freeway itself. One of the reasons we have traffic is people merging onto a 65 MPH freeway at 35 MPH.

3. So far, it always chooses to slow down and go behind the car beside me in the next lane. Again, lifting off the accelerator and effectively slamming on the brakes. This happens when going well under the set speed and when there's a wide open space just ahead of the car in the next lane. Needs to learn that, a lane change doesn't also mandate slowing down. Clearly the car can see ahead, so it needs to learn how to merge into the next lane without having to alter speed, whenever possible of course.

4. When travelling the right line, passing on-ramps, it moves over to the right, thinking it's centering itself in the lane as the right painted line is disappears for the on-ramp opening. Thinking this is an EAP thing rather than Nav on AP, but the car never did that before. It stayed focused on the left painted line if the right line disappeared, or the car in front.

5. When taking curves, it slows down to speeds slower than the yellow suggested speed signs. Tesla needs to adjust the programming in this area to at a minimum, maintain at least the suggested speed. However, those signs are intended for the worst possible scenario. Hence, a large top heavy vehicle that rolls over easily, to make it through safely. They are suggestions, not required speed limits. Tesla's are cars, not top heavy trucks. Probably should be based on G-forces. Something it will have to learn. But I think most of us take curves based on what we feel. If we are being pulled/pushed to one side unnaturally hard, we naturally slow down. How many people actually look at their speedometer when taking every curve? A g-force rating would allow it to operate in a more real world, natural manner that's common of most common drivers. Naturally, the car can sense rain and temperature, so it can adjust these limits downward in bad weather or cold weather situations.

6. Car certainly ping pongs a lot more than it did. Again, only when using Nav on AP. Similar issue to #4, when merging from two lanes into one lane, once the left line disappears, car jerks left to center itself in the new left lane that it sees from the merging lane. Hence, the opening between right and left painted lines is now much wider just after the lane line you were in ends. Again, doesn't do this when just using EAP.

I took a test trip the other day, light traffic. Was basically a 15 mile loop that included 4 freeway changes. Whoa boy was that an adventure. Had a cop been behind me, he/she would have thought I was a drunk ass fool!!! I took the same trip again the next day and same results.

Basically, this car, in moderate traffic, wants to cause more traffic by constantly slowing down when it doesn't have to. I understand that it's beta and it's choosing the safe approach. But the natural driving options in these cases are not remotely unsafe. Hitting the brakes all of sudden with cars behind, when drivers wouldn't expect you to suddenly slow down, is unsafe.

I've read several posts where people say it works great. Sure, there are many situations where it does very well. Don't get me wrong, it's still an incredible feature. So far advanced over anything offered by any other manufacturer. But yes, it's still in its infancy. Moderate to heavy traffic situations, it struggles quite a bit. Light traffic, it does OK.

After experiencing it, it's certainly a cool feature, but the fact that you still have to answer to nags every 10-15 seconds and still have to "approve" each and every lane change, it doesn't really have a lot of practical benefits yet. Clearly Tesla released it to get miles on the system from customers. AP is constantly collecting data and transmitting it to Tesla so it can learn and improve. That part is great.

I very much loved my AP1 car before all the nags came into play. It was a true pleasure to drive and really provided a huge benefit. Naturally, because I value my life, I always paid very close attention to it, realizing its capabilities are still extremely limited. But on a wide open road with little to no traffic, or in bumper to bumper traffic, it was great to sit with your hands relaxed just below the wheel and enjoy the ride. Now, unfortunately the car doesn't recognize my natural driving position, so even with my hands on the wheel, i still get the constant nag. What was the greatest system ever, thanks to a select few people who abused the system, we all paid the price. So I personally find it more stressful answering all the nags than just driving the car myself in my natural driving position.

For me, Nav on AP is more stressful too, for the above noted reasons. When I don't want to be stressed, I just drive the car myself. However, I LOVE Tesla's innovation and the fact that they're doing something no other manufacturer is willing to do. I feel like it's a privilege to be a part of it. Therefore, I'm still doing my part and using the system whenever I can. Not because I see a benefit in it right now, (meaning it makes my individual trips better or easier), but because I know that Tesla is tracking its use and learning from it, which will lead to it eventually, becoming an incredible, usable feature that does make driving easier and safer all around. In my effort to help it learn, when the car wants to slow down when it shouldn't, it just put my foot on the accelerator and keep it at the speed it should be at. Hopefully so it learns there is a better way to handle these situations, that's actually safer and more in line with how a real driver would handle them.

Hopefully everyone else does the same. Many people will just let the car do what it wants to do. But since Tesla tracks every movement and is learning, I hope people do the same so it learns the correct way. If all drivers force it to do things the right way, the system will learn. It's obviously still not FSD and not intended to be. Many people want it to be so badly. We all do. Clearly, some wanted it so badly that they put way too much faith in AP1 and ended up in accidents as a result of not following instructions. I appreciate it for what it is and fully understand its limitations and want to continue doing my part to help the system learn rather than trying to rely on it to be something it's not, yet. The faster it learns, the sooner we get toward actual FSD features that we can rely on.

i completely agree with you on all points. maybe it's because of our area (i am also in la), but "noa" truly sucks. maybe this is elon's way of gracing us with the ability to tell our kids "back in my day...." with all the incremental updates. eventually everything should work as it should, right? when that time comes, all of us that had been along for the ride will really know how hard it was to get to that point because we were living through and testing each phase of development.

Reactions: luvnMyTS
Good post, and I share most of your concerns regarding the new feature. IMO in its current state it's a nice party trick, but not really useful.

However, I don't really get this:
I lay my hands on my thighs/knees and lightly hold the underside of the wheel with three fingers of one hand, providing just a little bit of resistance to EAP's micro movements. I almost never get the nag. Perhaps try adjusting the height of the wheel or something?

Took delivery of our 3D about a week ago. Currently running 42.4.

Have been testing Nav on AP as much as possible here in Tampa Bay (day and night - about 4-5 runs so far) with amazing success. Have been posting observations on Tesla forums but will share or replicate here as time permits.

Doing a test post for now.