Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation and radio volume fight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all.

I am a pretty new convert to Tesla from Audi and absolutely love my Model 3 AWD LR. However, one issue I am struggling with is balancing the navigation announcements with the radio.

On my Audi's I could set the radio volume and separately set the navigation volume, and when the navigation announced it would hush (automatically reduce) the volume of the radio until the navigation announcement was finished.

In my Model 3 I can set the volumes separately, both of which are at a volume that I can comfortably hear each, but when the navigation announces it seems to just be a fight between that and the radio for which I can hear as they are naturally set at similar volumes.

Is there a feature to hush the radio durning navigation announcements or is this something which would need to be a feature request?

Many thanks.

Yeah, my iPhone does the same as your Audi. It backs off the music volume to background level while it speaks navigation instructions, and then the music comes back up again. I keep hoping Tesla will add this in a future update.

Yeah, my iPhone does the same as your Audi. It backs off the music volume to background level while it speaks navigation instructions, and then the music comes back up again. I keep hoping Tesla will add this in a future update.

Ah ok that confirms it isn't a feature, thanks. I've just been using it with the radio volume low when I have navigation on, but it seems a no-brainer to just reduce the music or radio volume when announcing.

Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: CharleyBC
there is an option on the navigation setting menu that will change both the volume and if the radio/music volume is lowered during navigation announcements.

couple tips: while the navigation is "announcing", the volume controls ONLY the navigation volume. once the announcement is over, volume controls will resume for music.

i've completely disabled my navigation voice/announcements as it auto-routes me for every appointment now. i don't mind having the blue line but constantly listening to the squawk was driving me bonkers.

there is an option on the navigation setting menu that will change both the volume and if the radio/music volume is lowered during navigation announcements.

couple tips: while the navigation is "announcing", the volume controls ONLY the navigation volume. once the announcement is over, volume controls will resume for music.

i've completely disabled my navigation voice/announcements as it auto-routes me for every appointment now. i don't mind having the blue line but constantly listening to the squawk was driving me bonkers.

Thanks! I didn't realzie I could turn the voice completely off. For most of my nav, I like having it on to check for traffic/accidents/reroute, but once it does that I know where I'm going and don't need it to talk to me. For road trips, I'd turn the voice back on.

when the navigation is speaking/announcing, you have to wait for the announcement to complete before you can adjust the volume.

I think @hari-bhari may have the same issue as me, which is the nav announcement does not reduce the volume of the radio, which is seems it should. This means when I get a nav announcement when the radio is on it is often hard to hear it as both the nav announcement volume and radio volume are similar, as you would expect. I guess I could set it so the nav volume is much higher than the radio so effectively drowns it out, but that isn't really the solution, it's a bit of a fudge.

I suspect it may be a setting I'm missing or a small bug, but I've tried it a number of times and the radio volume definitely doesn't reduce when the nav announces.

Reactions: hari-bhari
I think @hari-bhari may have the same issue as me, which is the nav announcement does not reduce the volume of the radio, which is seems it should. This means when I get a nav announcement when the radio is on it is often hard to hear it as both the nav announcement volume and radio volume are similar, as you would expect. I guess I could set it so the nav volume is much higher than the radio so effectively drowns it out, but that isn't really the solution, it's a bit of a fudge.

I suspect it may be a setting I'm missing or a small bug, but I've tried it a number of times and the radio volume definitely doesn't reduce when the nav announces.

yup, it's a pretty basic feature in every smartphone and car navigation system. automatically decrease the music volume when navi is speaking, and then resume to normal volume when navi is done speaking.

maybe in a future update...

Reactions: brianbcc
My 2015 MS has always not only reduced media volume but also put navigation voice in the drivers side channel for clarity. Just had mcu1 upgraded and the feature has stopped working. Googled it and found this thread. Hoping it is a setting but can confirm that it is or was a feature that worked really well