Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Data Update required message on NAV screen

ualdriver

Nov 6, 2013
US
Hey guys and gals-

I'm getting a "Navigation Data Update required" message on the navigation screen anytime I try to type an address in to navigate to. Map otherwise works fine. It says I'm supposed to connect to Wifi, which I am as you can see in the picture. I even connected to my phone's data to make sure it had an extra strong signal to download whatever it needed to download, but no dice. I don't even see a way to start a download.

I did search the forum and see this has been a problem, but I didn't see a resolution. Has anyone been able to come up with a way to get this Navigation Data Update to start downloading?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Tesla.jpg
    Tesla.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 44

Art VandeIay

Attractive Membrane
Jun 12, 2016
Elon’s left eyebrow
Sorry for highjacking your thread... but OMG the yellow border on your MCU screen! :oops:

Do you constantly park your Tesla outside? 🤔

Back to the Navigation issue. You didn't mention what specs you Tesla has. Model, Year, MCU version; all of these factors may determine the cause of the problem, just as @DerbyDave highlighted.

ualdriver

Nov 6, 2013
US
Sorry for highjacking your thread... but OMG the yellow border on your MCU screen! :oops:

Do you constantly park your Tesla outside? 🤔

Back to the Navigation issue. You didn't mention what specs you Tesla has. Model, Year, MCU version; all of these factors may determine the cause of the problem, just as @DerbyDave highlighted.

All through Art-

It's a 2013 Model S. I'm away from home so not sure of the MCU version. I'm not even sure where to find that? I assume it's on the same page as the VIN number?

Not sure about that yellow border. That might be just a bad picture. I don't remember seeing a yellow border. It is parked outside quite a bit though.

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
All through Art-

It's a 2013 Model S. I'm away from home so not sure of the MCU version. I'm not even sure where to find that? I assume it's on the same page as the VIN number?

Not sure about that yellow border. That might be just a bad picture. I don't remember seeing a yellow border. It is parked outside quite a bit though.
Unless you’ve paid for the MCU2 upgrade, you have MCU1. The key tidbit here is what firmware version you’re on. I suspect it’s 2020.48.37.6 (the app will tell you). Many of us had Nav issues after updating, but you could very well have a bad Nav sdcard as well.

ualdriver

Nov 6, 2013
US
Unless you’ve paid for the MCU2 upgrade, you have MCU1. The key tidbit here is what firmware version you’re on. I suspect it’s 2020.48.37.6 (the app will tell you). Many of us had Nav issues after updating, but you could very well have a bad Nav sdcard as well.

I have 2020.48.37.6 according to the app.
Is the MCU2 upgrade the upgrade that Tesla just paid us back for due to some sort of class action lawsuit? I think I got a check for over a grand. If that's the MCU upgrade, then I have it.

If many are having issues after the upgrade, is Tesla doing anything about it or acknowledging it?

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
I have 2020.48.37.6 according to the app.
Is the MCU2 upgrade the upgrade that Tesla just paid us back for due to some sort of class action lawsuit? I think I got a check for over a grand. If that's the MCU upgrade, then I have it.

If many are having issues after the upgrade, is Tesla doing anything about it or acknowledging it?
Hmm, if you’re on 2020.48.37.6 then it’s MCU1, but if you got a check for a thousand dollars, that’s way higher than the cost of the eMMC cost only. Pull up your old documents, but I’d say you’re still on MCU1. Nav for me was fixed after having the SC force a fresh download of the maps. Also, it didn’t affect everyone. Handful of reports here on TMC, of which I was one. Lastly, 37.8 was released yesterday so maybe that’ll help your situation (although I doubt it).

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
Hmm, if you’re on 2020.48.37.6 then it’s MCU1, but if you got a check for a thousand dollars, that’s way higher than the cost of the eMMC cost only. Pull up your old documents, but I’d say you’re still on MCU1. Nav for me was fixed after having the SC force a fresh download of the maps. Also, it didn’t affect everyone. Handful of reports here on TMC, of which I was one. Lastly, 37.8 was released yesterday so maybe that’ll help your situation (although I doubt it).
If a fresh download of the maps was required, this points to a corruption and bad Navigation SD card in the MCU. This is generally not replaced with the MCU and is separate from the eMMC, but the older SD cards in the MCU still have limited rewrites, and were not really designed for the temperatures and repeated use in the car. The NAV cache I think is also written/rewritten onto the SD card. It likely needs to be replaced. Clearing the SD card and reloading navigation will temporarily free up some space that can be rewritten because the maps themselves are fairly static, but the problem is still there.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
What is the latest Nav Data version?

My 2020 Model 3 is running Nav Data 2020.48 which is obviously nearly a year old now.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC