Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Data Update required message on NAV screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys and gals-

I'm getting a "Navigation Data Update required" message on the navigation screen anytime I try to type an address in to navigate to. Map otherwise works fine. It says I'm supposed to connect to Wifi, which I am as you can see in the picture. I even connected to my phone's data to make sure it had an extra strong signal to download whatever it needed to download, but no dice. I don't even see a way to start a download.

I did search the forum and see this has been a problem, but I didn't see a resolution. Has anyone been able to come up with a way to get this Navigation Data Update to start downloading?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Tesla.jpg
    Tesla.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 410
Sorry for highjacking your thread... but OMG the yellow border on your MCU screen! :oops:

Do you constantly park your Tesla outside? 🤔

Back to the Navigation issue. You didn't mention what specs you Tesla has. Model, Year, MCU version; all of these factors may determine the cause of the problem, just as @DerbyDave highlighted.

Sorry for highjacking your thread... but OMG the yellow border on your MCU screen! :oops:

Do you constantly park your Tesla outside? 🤔

Back to the Navigation issue. You didn't mention what specs you Tesla has. Model, Year, MCU version; all of these factors may determine the cause of the problem, just as @DerbyDave highlighted.

All through Art-

It's a 2013 Model S. I'm away from home so not sure of the MCU version. I'm not even sure where to find that? I assume it's on the same page as the VIN number?

Not sure about that yellow border. That might be just a bad picture. I don't remember seeing a yellow border. It is parked outside quite a bit though.

All through Art-

It's a 2013 Model S. I'm away from home so not sure of the MCU version. I'm not even sure where to find that? I assume it's on the same page as the VIN number?

Not sure about that yellow border. That might be just a bad picture. I don't remember seeing a yellow border. It is parked outside quite a bit though.
Unless you’ve paid for the MCU2 upgrade, you have MCU1. The key tidbit here is what firmware version you’re on. I suspect it’s 2020.48.37.6 (the app will tell you). Many of us had Nav issues after updating, but you could very well have a bad Nav sdcard as well.

Unless you’ve paid for the MCU2 upgrade, you have MCU1. The key tidbit here is what firmware version you’re on. I suspect it’s 2020.48.37.6 (the app will tell you). Many of us had Nav issues after updating, but you could very well have a bad Nav sdcard as well.

I have 2020.48.37.6 according to the app.
Is the MCU2 upgrade the upgrade that Tesla just paid us back for due to some sort of class action lawsuit? I think I got a check for over a grand. If that's the MCU upgrade, then I have it.

If many are having issues after the upgrade, is Tesla doing anything about it or acknowledging it?

I have 2020.48.37.6 according to the app.
Is the MCU2 upgrade the upgrade that Tesla just paid us back for due to some sort of class action lawsuit? I think I got a check for over a grand. If that's the MCU upgrade, then I have it.

If many are having issues after the upgrade, is Tesla doing anything about it or acknowledging it?
Hmm, if you’re on 2020.48.37.6 then it’s MCU1, but if you got a check for a thousand dollars, that’s way higher than the cost of the eMMC cost only. Pull up your old documents, but I’d say you’re still on MCU1. Nav for me was fixed after having the SC force a fresh download of the maps. Also, it didn’t affect everyone. Handful of reports here on TMC, of which I was one. Lastly, 37.8 was released yesterday so maybe that’ll help your situation (although I doubt it).

Hmm, if you’re on 2020.48.37.6 then it’s MCU1, but if you got a check for a thousand dollars, that’s way higher than the cost of the eMMC cost only. Pull up your old documents, but I’d say you’re still on MCU1. Nav for me was fixed after having the SC force a fresh download of the maps. Also, it didn’t affect everyone. Handful of reports here on TMC, of which I was one. Lastly, 37.8 was released yesterday so maybe that’ll help your situation (although I doubt it).
If a fresh download of the maps was required, this points to a corruption and bad Navigation SD card in the MCU. This is generally not replaced with the MCU and is separate from the eMMC, but the older SD cards in the MCU still have limited rewrites, and were not really designed for the temperatures and repeated use in the car. The NAV cache I think is also written/rewritten onto the SD card. It likely needs to be replaced. Clearing the SD card and reloading navigation will temporarily free up some space that can be rewritten because the maps themselves are fairly static, but the problem is still there.

If a fresh download of the maps was required, this points to a corruption and bad Navigation SD card in the MCU. This is generally not replaced with the MCU and is separate from the eMMC, but the older SD cards in the MCU still have limited rewrites, and were not really designed for the temperatures and repeated use in the car. The NAV cache I think is also written/rewritten onto the SD card. It likely needs to be replaced. Clearing the SD card and reloading navigation will temporarily free up some space that can be rewritten because the maps themselves are fairly static, but the problem is still there.
I also have a 2013 Model S and am experiencing the same error message on the Nav feature saying I need to connect to Wifi and download Maps. This is after the 2020.48.37.8 software update (that doesn't seem to be installed even though it's fully downloaded). I received the new SD card in April, but I'm suspicious of that because my invoice says, "daughterboard ... remanufactured". Anyone find solutions or experiencing the same problem?

I also have a 2013 Model S and am experiencing the same error message on the Nav feature saying I need to connect to Wifi and download Maps. This is after the 2020.48.37.8 software update (that doesn't seem to be installed even though it's fully downloaded). I received the new SD card in April, but I'm suspicious of that because my invoice says, "daughterboard ... remanufactured". Anyone find solutions or experiencing the same problem?
Generally they don't automatically replace the SD card with the MCU upgrade, for some reason.

Reactions: randy206
Open a service ticket and ask them to force/push a map download.

Thank you for your reply. I'm scheduled for service tomorrow and they quoted me $300+ to push the map download and then I opted in to upgrade to 4G/LTE for another $200+. I'm a bit confused why the $300 to push the download, especially since the upgrade should solve the problem.

Thank you for your reply. I'm scheduled for service tomorrow and they quoted me $300+ to push the map download and then I opted in to upgrade to 4G/LTE for another $200+. I'm a bit confused why the $300 to push the download, especially since the upgrade should solve the problem.
What?!? $300 to push map refresh? Mine was free. LTE upgrade has nothing to do with Nav Maps so that is separate. If you have them replace the Nav SDCard, they should do that while already in there for the LTE upgrade. Either way, shouldn’t be a $500 total IMO.

Please help me out here. In April I received the eMMC upgrade and received a 64GB (?) card or daughterboard?. Is there a separate SD card for Nav? They are charging me to replace a MCU SD Card, specifically the Nav maps micro SD 16GB card, supposedly trying to correct the problem with the Nav maps not installing. I thought that was already replaced. Am I confusing something here?

The Nav SD card is not usually replaced in the emmc upgrade or replacement, for some reason. While it is separate, the original SD card in the earlier cars suffers from short life expectancy since it also cannot be rewritten over and over for the life of the car and is not robust enough for the heat and cold in a car environment. Newer endurance SD cards are designed specifically for dashcam and other harsh environments, and can be rewritten over and over for 10 plus years.

Reactions: randy206
Thank you to everyone for your advice/guidance. My vehicle is out of service and I learned some things. First of all, I was in "energy saving mode" which was slowing down the download. The Tesla technition had to work his magic to complete the software download. Second, I needed a new Nav card, and for the future, it will help that I converted to 4G/LTE. It cost $429 plus tax for both upgrades. It took me 5 hours on my home wifi to download the Nav map update at a rate of 435KB/s. And now I have a direct line of communication with a Tesla agent for asking future questions. I hope this helps other owners who may be experiencing the same problems. ;)

Reactions: DerbyDave
Generally they don't automatically replace the SD card with the MCU upgrade, for some reason.
Thank you for this information. I am having the LTE upgrade today and having the same navigation problem. I will talk to the service guy today and see what he says. I did a ticket with Tesla and they said I could upgrade to the new infotainment fo 2,000$.... yeah right.

Reactions: DerbyDave