Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation doesnt work when not at home [no cellular connectivity showing]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed Tesla's navigation has changed into this behavior that it requires full address:
  1. Start at home (in fact, I didn't registered my home address into my Tesla, but this is what I've observed), touch Navigation icon, start typing will see closest matches listed out so don't need to type in the complete address, great feature and very user friendly :)
  2. I arrive somewhere, say a mall in next town, now want navigation to some place. Touch navigation icon as usual, this time it shows "Recent", "Favorite" and without keyboard. Well, it's a new place, so I touch Navigation again in order to bring up the keyboard, now what I got is a pop-up address box.
    Address _________ (no auto-complete or any suggestion like step 1)
    City ________ (defaults to current city, no auto-complete or any suggestion) State __ (a drop-down list, defaults to current state)
    Country _______ (defaults to current country)

3. The <Find> button is disabled until all fields are filled.
This is a dumb interface as you can see, quite cumbersome and unfriendly. I'm very sure I have the latest software.
I also noticed the 3-vertical bar of cell signal is crossed, maybe this is the cause? And if so, there must be something wrong with my Tesla and how to fix it?
Thank you very much for any assistance.

Yes if the "3 vertical bar of cell signal is crossed" that means you are somewhere that your car does not have cell coverage. If that happens everywhere but home, you have an issue with your cellular modem. If it only happens in some places then you are someplace with bad coverage.

BTW, there isnt any need to type any addresses unless you want to or have a thick accent the car cant understand. You can simply say "where is the closest XXX" if its a business, or "navigate to 12345 Main Street, Everytown USA" and it will pull it up (if you have cell signal).

Thanks everyone for the inputs. It's crossed everywhere, and right after changing from Park (disconnected from wifi). Keyboard or voice, "No connectivity" means "no way, Jose." Rebooting won't solve it. There is no way Irvine and Costa Mesa of CA have no signal at all. I've scheduled an appointment with Tesla Mobile Service. Will share with everyone later. Thank you again.
20210530_154757.jpg
20210531_100706.jpg

I don't think it has anything to do with premium connectivity.
You still have navigation, traffic avoidance (although it won't show it to you on the screen), and you don't have satellite view with the basic connectivity.

Ok, Tesla Service "verified concern and found connectivity inoperable. Removed and replaced car computer, downloaded firmware". Here is the part listed
TLA,CAR.COMP,NA,HW3.0 - PROVISIONED(1462554-S0-K)
I also got an answer from Tesla that it won't let me supercharge if it happens as everything must go through LTE connectivity.

Reactions: tstolze
Yes if the "3 vertical bar of cell signal is crossed" that means you are somewhere that your car does not have cell coverage. If that happens everywhere but home, you have an issue with your cellular modem. If it only happens in some places then you are someplace with bad coverage.

BTW, there isnt any need to type any addresses unless you want to or have a thick accent the car cant understand. You can simply say "where is the closest XXX" if its a business, or "navigate to 12345 Main Street, Everytown USA" and it will pull it up (if you have cell signal).
Please see my post below, it's a faulty hardware. Thanks.