Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation miss direct

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My navigation shows that I am in Fremont area of San Francisco Bay rather than the true location of North Hills, NY. Is there a special way to reset my nav system (other than the few regular resets).
I have a 2020 (April pick up) of a Model X Long Range Plus.

This is an interesting problem... Perhaps your car thinks it is me?

Actually, with my careful perusal of this web site and direct experiments, there are different levels of resetting that you might not know about.

I am developing a hobby of resuscitating dead or misbehaving Teslas in my small sphere of influence and there seems to be three levels of severity of reboots. However I am not an engineer, just a user and and an enthusiast. The first level is the double scroll wheel reboot that seems to reboot the MCU and fixes small issues.

A more severe reboot is located under safety and security and forces the car to "turn off." This seems to have fixed persistent misbehavior that the scroll wheel reboot does not. I think this reboots the whole car. I just fixed a MS that would not drive for its owner today. (I hope this fixes the problem, gulp!)

The most deep reboot that seems to clear caches and misbehavior I learned from this forum is to reset the wheel size of the car. I have done this on my MX once or twice and after resetting from 20" to 22" wheels, forces the whole car to reboot and clear memory caches... and then I set the wheel size back to to correct size. That has fixed a few problems I have had.

Finally, you can pull the power cable off of the hot plug to the 12 volt battery (I have never had to do that) in the fuse box behind the plastic cover in front of the wipers for a few minutes, or manually disconnect the fireman's cable (also under the plastic cover) to get a reset and reboot.

Thanks for the replies. I did have a service rep come and do the major reset to no avail. Also replaced the memory chip in the side of the computer screen (pretty big job). Still no change/fix with the problem. Service rep spent entire morning working on reset and computer, but had to go to the next job. He did advise me to report problem again to Tesla Service. Problem is my wife and I were getting ready to leave for Honolulu for the winter. I will report issue when we return to NY in a few more weeks.

Service center rep told me that the 4 point (scroll wheel and top toggle) are no longer necessary. Just use the scroll wheel and 2020 Model X will do a basic reboot. Makes sense as new models (eg. model 3 and model Y) do not have a screen infront of the driver, only the large computer screen.
Does anyone know this is for sure?

Service center rep told me that the 4 point (scroll wheel and top toggle) are no longer necessary. Just use the scroll wheel and 2020 Model X will do a basic reboot. Makes sense as new models (eg. model 3 and model Y) do not have a screen infront of the driver, only the large computer screen.
Does anyone know this is for sure?
Yes. Only MCU1 (pre Aug 17-ish build) needs the 4 button reset.