Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation plan a round trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a SR+ and on the navigation I put my destination (about 210 miles away) which is great, I get there with 15% battery left. There are no superchargers anywhere close on-route, although using other tools I can see some destination chargers around.

How do I say I would like a round trip and then see what my options are? Are there better apps out there?

PlugShare is your friend for other options. Also, the car will show Superchargers and destination chargers. Tap on the screen and you should have options appear in the mid lower right. Hit the lightning bolt and you should see all Tesla chargers.

But PlugShare shows you a lot more, Tesla and non-Tesla.

Reactions: XLR82XS
To clarify and elaborate on the two above comments:
  • A Better Route Planner (ABRP) is like the Tesla navigation app on steroids. It enables you to add waypoints, plan a round trip, etc., and suggest charging along the way. By default, it will show Superchargers, but you can add other types of chargers (Level 2 EVSEs and CHAdeMO can both be useful for Teslas in North America, although CHAdeMO would require that you have Tesla's $450 CHAdeMO adapter).
  • PlugShare has a trip-planning tool, but it's kind of klunky compared to ABRP. Where PlugShare is more useful is in finding local charging. If you'll be staying at your destination for a day or two, for instance, PlugShare will help you find Level 2 charging locations where you can plug in for a few hours (or Superchargers or CHAdeMO stations, for that matter, but it sounds like you've already looked for Superchargers and found nothing).
There is some overlap in the utility of these two tools, but each has its own niche where it's superior to the other one. It sounds like ABRP is the more useful tool overall, but depending on the length of your stay, PlugShare may be quite useful, too.

+1 for ARBP, though it's UI is a bit on the clunky side. It can also send a planned route to the Tesla, which is convenient.

-1 to Tesla for not having "round trip" capability, which seems a rather obvious oversight.