Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation prematurely routing too many charging stops on road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Has anyone else experienced their navigation constantly re-routing on the fly during a road trip to include a charging stop when unnecessary? I recently did a road trip from Virginia to Pennsylvania. I started the trip with the battery at 80%. My Model 3 navigation planned the next stop to be a charging stop with my battery to be at about 14% when I get there -- that seemed normal/reasonable. Suddenly only about 5 minutes into the trip, it re-routed to have me stop at a charging station with my battery to be at about 74% when I get there, to give myself a 1 minute charge back to 80%. Then the very next stop the navigation had planned was yet another charging stop at like 64% battery left. How does this make sense? I purposely passed the first charging stop hoping it would re-route to the original more normal looking route, but it kept telling me to do a U-turn over the course of the next 5 miles as I ignored it. I finally removed charging stops from the route until I thought I was sufficiently past the unnecessary charging stop and started the navigation over again. At one point, when my battery would still have about 12% left when I reached my final destination, my navigation kept wanting me to make a charging stop while my battery was still at like 65%. Is this a software glitch or did I do/plan something wrong? Thank you!!

Reactions: googlepeakoil
Not likely software glitch but poorly written software. Multiple factors at play including likely you did not have a consistent or efficient use of kWh per mile. So the current algorithm changes to a different destination supercharger when lower expected state of charge is estimated as you move along.
Recommend getting a good idea about what your power usage will be based on personal history (speed, spirited driving, weight in car...will all play against you) and plan out your idea destination superchargers ahead based on that to get you with less than 20% SOC to maximize your recharge rates.
Tesla navigation for these issues could certainly be smarter / better than it is currently.

It’s possible that Tesla is looking at predicted fill at the original Supercharger and is figuring that you might have to wait in line. On my trips back and forth to Boston from NJ it will sometimes insert those 5 minute stops; the stop after that is some other, possibly less used SC rather than the original one.

However, having said all that, the last time I did the trip this last weekend, first it had the car stopping at what seemed to be a reasonable spot; then added that 5 minute stop; then, after a 30 mile pause, went back to the original.

My feeling: Don’t mess overmuch with the NAV, let it do it’s thing, and you’ll be fine with less hassle.

I have found that my car will usually re-route if it expects I will arrive with less than [high teens] SOC. It doesn’t happen very often since all of my travel has been Colorado, Nee Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma where chargers aren’t abundant enough for re-routes (about 100 miles between chargers). However, on occasions where I have tried to charge to 90+% to skip a charger altogether, a couple times it said I was good to skip, but ended up re-routing as the predicted arrival SOC dropped much below 20%.

So, since you live near a supercharger, it is probably just defaulting to a plan that keeps you above 15-20% since it has the option.