Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation System Errors: nonsense routes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from a 3,500 mile trip from California through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and back. 99% of the time the trip navigation worked fine and the trip planner info seemed useful.
I had two instances (at different locations) where, after leaving a Supercharger because it indicated I had sufficient charge to make it to the next one, the navigation immediately routed me back to the Supercharger I had just charged and showed that I was to charge for "0 minutes". I cancelled the navigation, re-entered my destination (selecting it from the "Recents" list) , and the error persisted. I would have to wait about 30 minutes before re-entering my destination and then the nav would work correctly.
So that was weird. I am on .36.

Whilst I also hate the standard nav app I have noticed that quite often what seems a daft route appears to have planned by the app to avoid traffic congestion on the more logical route. I would still 100% prefer TomTom though, or at least have the option of adding it. Sticking my iPhone holder somewhere in the MS just so I can use TomTom (and other iPhone-y things) seems - and looks - absurd.

Apple CarPlay, anyone? Or just mirroring the iPhone on the MS' touchscreen would be useful. MW

I have had a real problem with the navigation. Although it is Google Maps, it doesn't seem to be near as accurate as navigation on my android phone or near as
well as MapQuest. Sometimes going a much longer way that makes no sense. Sometimes taking me out of the way when I'm already on a straight road to my
destination. I would never plan a road trip without bringing a paper map with me. Terrible I have to do that. I'm trying to "save" miles and it's taking me miles
out of the way.

The navigation has nothing to do with Google. The big Google map on the MCU is just a pretty picture of your route... which was calculated by a built-in Navigon satnav system (that TM have reputedly now started tinkering with the routing algorithms within).

I'm surprised that none of the reviews of the Model S complain more about the Nav. It's a total disaster. I know it is Navigon that does the routing but I think it may use Google's traffic info to 'optimize' the route. I've seen it multiple time where it suggests to take the ramp off the highway, and immediately join the same motorway again. In Europe, where I drive, the maps are out of date. It takes you to dead-end streets, isn't aware of new roads that have been build, etc.

If you ever use the Tesla Nav to drive through Amsterdam, you better have the foldable mirrors, and great steering ability. 21st century car meest 17th century roads. :)

What bugs me even more, is that I met Jerome Guillen some time ago - he had noticed that one of the Amsterdam taxi's used a phone holder with a suction cup on the 17" screen for navigation. The taxi driver also thought it was unusable. Jerome said they were aware of the issue, and that he had mailed the photo to Elon. This is 5 moths ago....

I still use an iPhone holder and run Waze. Works like a charm!

I agree that Waze is superior to the Model S nav, which in my experience sometimes fails (but not often). I think Model S reviews don't mention the nav because typically reviewers may only have access to the car for just a few hours, or maybe a day or two, and they are so impressed by the many terrific features of the car that they don't try the nav at all, or they just enter a nearby destination and it works fine.

@artsci +1
i just did a road trip from White plains NY to Syracuse, and trip planner was on hallucinogenics (btw, tesla just confirmed to me in email that they have chosen a supercharger location in Binghamton and are moving to construction phase). I turned off Tripp planner and all is now fine. Just go to settings, apps, nav and. Turn off. Trip planner there.

The other day I set destination by address to a place about 6 miles away on 40-45 MPH 2-lane roads. The Nav's selected route directed me to turn a block off the 45 MPH road onto 25 MPH residential, and follow parallel for a half mile before putting me right back on the 45 MPH road. There was green traffic the whole length of the 45 MPH road. Fortunately I knew better than to follow the Nav route. Had only entered my destination for an ETA.

Each time I leave a supercharger, 5 minutes into the drive navigation wants me to go back to the supercharger I just left. Initially I thought I was driving fast and the car wanted to go back for more juice. But it also happens when I am fully charged, with the next charger way in reach even driving superfast.

This is turning range anxiety into range confusion. Not for me since I am aware of how much energy I need to get where I am going, but may create huge problems and destroy the confidence of owners relying just on the navigation system.

We were heading off to a local mall and (testing the system) I tapped on one of the grey charging icons which I know is at the Tesla store there. The nav system insisted on what I knew to be a circuitous route so I drove the route I remembered and waited for the nav to reset itself to the direct route I was taking. After about 5 minutes of multiple "Please do a U-turn" and close to our destination I zoomed in on the map and once the smaller side roads appeared the nav system did indeed reset to a direct route. This is reproducible and seems to be related to whether the system can 'see' the roads depending on how zoomed in the map screen is.

Is this a clue to odd Nav system behavior?

All the routing calculations are done by the built-in Navigon nav system (the one that generates the maps in the instrument cluster). It has no idea how zoomed in the google map is (which is just a pretty picture of your route, not part of the route calculation).

Which is what I had always assumed before. I may be wrong but I'm wondering if there is in fact some other detail in the calculation that we've haven't understood. Crazy routing is not uncommonly reported on the forums.

Hi Nigel,

We've experienced this same behavior several times when taking Cattleman Rd to the mall. I doubt its related to the new changes to the NAV system because if I remember correctly it occurred before the new updates.

All the U turns are trying to reroute you back to I-75 to get to the mall. It's almost as if the newer Cattleman side road is not known to the NAV system and the car is taking you via the only route it knows.

Then, as you say it somehow finds the new road, and correctly routes you to the mall. Once at the mall it gets confused again.

I noticed that the NAV system uses at least two sets of mapping data that can get out of sync. For instance, when a new subdivision was built at Bee Ridge extended and Coash Rd, Sarasota County made the developer change the name of Coash to Landmark a few years ago. Now if I navigate home the NAV's voice tells me to turn onto Coash (the old name), but the map clearly shows Landmark (the new name). I'm wondering if something similar to this mismatch in mapping data due to recent road changes is causing the confusion with the routing to the mall.

Larry