Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Navigate on Autopilot Not Working for Certain Roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got a model 3 and it has the FSD upgrade. I’ve got all the settings adjusted and it works just fine for almost all of my driving. However, I’ve noticed on major freeeways (US 101 in Southern California, etc) I lose my single blue line and only get the 2 blue lines bounding the lane. I didn’t understand why my NoA was working fine to get me out of my residential street and at stop lights and everything else, but once I merge onto the major freeway, I lose the single blue line. It’s really only a bother because I end up not making the exit I need to (with navigation on) unless I take over the wheel and manually exit. Once I exit I can engage NoA again and I get the single blue line and it will take me through the streets just fine. I really would’ve expected the opposite to happen if anything (not being able to use it on smaller roads but activate on major highways).

One other note worth making is that I travel a highway/freeway to work every day. For the first 10 miles there is no middle barrier (2 lanes each direction split by a yellow middle lane) and NoA works fine. After about 10 miles, this road the splits and there is a barrier between the opposite lane directions and “turns to a freeway rather than a highway” if that makes sense. Right when the road splits, that’s where I lose the single blue line and only get the 2 blue lines on the lanes (again, very opposite from what I would’ve expected to happen). I’ve attached pictures for reference.

Any ideas of if I have some setting wrong, some bugs in the system, or if I for some reason just truly can’t use NoA on big freeways like that?

Attachments

• D08B8F2B-2073-4A34-91B2-0644EFC1263C.png
    D08B8F2B-2073-4A34-91B2-0644EFC1263C.png
    2 MB · Views: 170
  • CAB844F2-6227-4F1A-8FB1-194B04971471.png
    CAB844F2-6227-4F1A-8FB1-194B04971471.png
    2 MB · Views: 47
Well if you’re talking NoA (and not FSD), it is designed and works on “limited access” freeways. Your second picture shows what looks to me more like a four-lane highway with just a separating lane between the travel lanes. I would not expect NoA to work on that.

I experience the same behaviors in certain locations I drive through frequently, and have narrowed down the behavior to a shift from limited access to plain old 4-lane ….. even with a median strip between the travel lanes.

Well if you’re talking NoA (and not FSD), it is designed and works on “limited access” freeways. Your second picture shows what looks to me more like a four-lane highway with just a separating lane between the travel lanes. I would not expect NoA to work on that.

I experience the same behaviors in certain locations I drive through frequently, and have narrowed down the behavior to a shift from limited access to plain old 4-lane ….. even with a median strip between the travel lanes.
See and that’s what’s weird to me. That 2nd picture that has the 4 lanes with just the separating lanes is when my NoA works perfect. I have the single blue line and it will actively change lanes to go around traffic. Soon as I get onto the freeway with the middle barrier (first picture), that is when the NoA turns off and I am basically stuck in one lane and will not be taken off any exits (unless manually triggered of course).

See and that’s what’s weird to me. That 2nd picture that has the 4 lanes with just the separating lanes is when my NoA works perfect. I have the single blue line and it will actively change lanes to go around traffic. Soon as I get onto the freeway with the middle barrier (first picture), that is when the NoA turns off and I am basically stuck in one lane and will not be taken off any exits (unless manually triggered of course).
It could be that the GPS/mapping data is wrong for the first road, so the car thinks it’s a secondary road where NoA isn’t allowed.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack