Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation system is initializing ♻️

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Hey guys, 2016 Tesla model S. I pick a destination and it never connects. I had this happen on my 2016 and Tesla told me it was either an antenna problem or some MMC chip that needed replacing. Honestly with so many many years ago, I really don’t remember.

So I called them about this and they said they don’t really have a fix for it and it’s best to update to MCU2. Seem like overkill?

Has anyone ever fixed themselves? Thanks peeps! 😊

IMG_4191.jpeg

Even after getting the eMMC replaced sometimes when I get in my car the screen will be black or the whole thing reboots. It doesn't bother me because I can still drive the car while it is booting. I do have energy saving turned on where it puts the MCU into a deeper sleep mode while the car is off, that does affect startup time when I get in the car.

I really wasn't having problems with the original eMMC, it only got replaced because I had to take the car in for a battery coolant heater and pyro fuse.

Also have you done a factory reset on the MCU? I'd recommend doing that if you haven't already.

Reactions: easyev
Upvote 0
Even after getting the eMMC replaced sometimes when I get in my car the screen will be black or the whole thing reboots. It doesn't bother me because I can still drive the car while it is booting. I do have energy saving turned on where it puts the MCU into a deeper sleep mode while the car is off, that does affect startup time when I get in the car.

I really wasn't having problems with the original eMMC, it only got replaced because I had to take the car in for a battery coolant heater and pyro fuse.

Also have you done a factory reset on the MCU? I'd recommend doing that if you haven't already.
Thank you for your detailed reply. Yes I did a factory reset from the service menu. It’s not the black screen so much as it is not being able to use the navigation. I’m using Waze on my phone which is not the most convenient, and have to switch the source to Bluetooth phone which isn’t as nice as using Spotify built-in into the Tesla.

Upvote 0
Exactly. Wish me luck!
OK, the recall was done in 2021 so much for that idea!

I got this thing to update once I’m convinced I can do it again! What do you think? I have gone on long drives and let it connect to the hotspot on my phone, but maybe it doesn’t like that and prefers the home Wi-Fi? That’s what worked the last time but I’ve sat in my car for an hour staring at it and nothing happened. Unlike the first time, I tried this it updated and started working, but no LTE.

It really annoys me that the local service centre won’t even talk about repairing the issue. I don’t blame them want to sell me an entirely new computer, but it just seems like overkill for a minor problem, causing a major annoyance - no nav!

Upvote 0