Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation to dropped pin/point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Can you navigate to a dropped pin or certain point? I find that just navigating to an address, location of a business or office complex doesn’t result in the best entrance/parking. Often what would be the best entrance to a parking space can be a farther away and even on another street than the address will navigate to. When going somewhere for the first time I like to look at the map (use Apple Maps but Google Maps would be equivalent) on my desktop and find the ideal point to navigate to and then drop a pin then send that to my iPhone and navigate (CarPlay) to the pin.

Here is a basic example: Going to a LA Fitness a navigation app (Apple Maps, Google Maps and Tesla) will take me around to the main entrance to the shopping center. It is much more convenient/quicker/easier to navigate to a back entrance (red line/arrow).

Does Tesla allow you to drop a pin and navigate to the spot? Can you use a desktop (or iOS/Android app) Maps app (Google Maps???) and drop a pin and send to your Tesla?

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 5.38.55 AM.png

So you can 'drop a pin' by pressing and it will navigate to the point regards of any address? I guess there is no way to do this on your PC or phone ahead of time and send to the car?

In my example pic I would just press on where the point of the red arrow is and it would navigate to that point/entrance?

Yes. You just push and hold your finger on the screen and then it will pop up a dialog and you can choose to Navigate to it. You can also put an address in your Calendar app in your phone. If you have it set in the Tesla app to share your calendar and you have your phone paired with your car, you can just click on the address in your calendar in the car and navigate to it that way.

Yes. You just push and hold your finger on the screen and then it will pop up a dialog and you can choose to Navigate to it. You can also put an address in your Calendar app in your phone. If you have it set in the Tesla app to share your calendar and you have your phone paired with your car, you can just click on the address in your calendar in the car and navigate to it that way.
Thanks push pin point sounds great.

I NEVER use addresses unless it is to a residence. Businesses' address rarely get you to the best/desired entry point (as in my example). Would be nice to drop a pint on my Mac (as I do now) but at least the Tesla screen is large and responsive. Hopefully Tesla will add a way to do this but it would probably require desktop/iOS/Android apps.

Calendar feature isn't available in the Model 3 yet. Supposedly in v9.