Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using dropped pins and Tesla navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a few (younger) friends who insist on sending dropped pins via WhatsApp to arrange meeting spots. Is there a way to send these to my Tesla navigation instead of opening them on my iPhone and using my little phone screen to find them?

On a side note, I know I'm getting old - but what os wrong with good old postcodes anyway?

Just be cautious with location accuracy. It use to be an issue but not checked recently but when you use to share a coordinate with the car, whether you used postcode or coordinate originally, it use to share the postcode and the road, but only the first part of the postcode.

So if you had a road that spanned two postcode areas, it was hit and miss where along the road, or even what part of a split street it actually sets as the navigation destination. It’s also similar with entering postcode based destinations.

We have had quite a few where the navigation destination has been 5-10 minutes away from the expected destination.

W3W works fine - from w3w chosen location just tap "Navigate", and Tesla appears as an option. Select & you get the "Shared with Tesla" confirmation.

Strangely, Tesla also appears as an option under "Share", but refuses to work from that (says unable to send)....
Oooh, that’s great news!
And does it send the location to the car with w3w accuracy or is it a “roughly the same place” kind of thing?

w3w would be an awesome integration for the navigation

I believe the emergency services are using it. I am really surprised it is popular, mishearing one of the words, or getting them in the wrong order (which on all that I have tried is valid) takes you to a completely different location.

Then there are the homophones that W3W contains (Why? Seems obvious to me that linguists would have made sure there weren't any included, and treated all sounds-alike as being the same thing), some of them in close enough proximity to be believable but wrong enough to be useless.

W3W is a 3M square, there are 57 trillion squares on the globe and 40,000 English words used. Maybe 3M granularity is important, but increasing the size of that would have reduced the number of words which were needed. (By my maths a doubling the size of the square would halve the number of words required)

If my life depended on it I absolutely would not use them.

Oooh, that’s great news!
And does it send the location to the car with w3w accuracy or is it a “roughly the same place” kind of thing?
It typically selects the road adjacent to the chosen "square", so some care may be necessary for venues between 2 or more roads, 1-way routes and locations at junctions. In this instance, I select the square on the approaching/passing road itself rather than the exact property, and share that.

I believe the emergency services are using it. I am really surprised it is popular, mishearing one of the words, or getting them in the wrong order (which on all that I have tried is valid) takes you to a completely different location.

Then there are the homophones that W3W contains (Why? Seems obvious to me that linguists would have made sure there weren't any included, and treated all sounds-alike as being the same thing), some of them in close enough proximity to be believable but wrong enough to be useless.

W3W is a 3M square, there are 57 trillion squares on the globe and 40,000 English words used. Maybe 3M granularity is important, but increasing the size of that would have reduced the number of words which were needed. (By my maths a doubling the size of the square would halve the number of words required)

If my life depended on it I absolutely would not use them.
Yep there have been a few issues with W3W. You also need to look at their revenue model and funding, its clearly not going to be free forever. A pin is a place you select and then send it digitally without needing to vocalise the position, the lat and long is sent and thats easily as accurate, Where W3Ws comes into its own is when you have to vocalise a position because saying 23 degres, 42 miniutes and 15 seconds north, 1 degrees etc or 23.04535, 1.433456 isn't that easy. Where both have a problem is when a Satnav receives the location and has to work out the nearest road and how to get there. The irony of what they're doing is they're using technology to provide you with the W3W, you then probably use the same device to call someone and tell them, or fill in a form, when a pin would work just as well and it should be able to just attach it somehow - thats where the future is and I can see Apple or Google doing it for you..

The irony of what they're doing is they're using technology to provide you with the W3W, you then probably use the same device to call someone and tell them, or fill in a form, when a pin would work just as well and it should be able to just attach it somehow - thats where the future is and I can see Apple or Google doing it for you..

My understanding is that Advanced Mobile Location should transmit Lat/Long when calling the emergency services, Dunno if my phone is capable, the network has implemented it, or the emergency services in UK have upgraded and are capable ... but seems that if I need help I should stand outside my front door and use my mobile, rather than the landline :)

I suppose for anything else SHARE current location from Google Maps / similar prevent the ambiguity of W3W